Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phase One of the Offseason Program has begun (Strength, Conditioning, Physical Rehab)

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone know what Giemont and company really do?

I really wonder how players decide what works for them. Do they use team trainers? Do they use their own trainers? I always wonder how guys get special advantages either through diet, training, whatever. And everyone has different DNA so I wonder if some guys are just naturally gifted and it doesn't matter what they do or if it does? And I also wonder if this staff gives a team like the Pats a competitive advantage vs our players? I have no idea.

Could Geimont be the difference between a Lombardi or missing the playoffs. I just struck me especially reading about him thinking about the pursuit of a Lombardi and got me wonder the impact he really can make.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Anyone know what Giemont and company really do?

I really wonder how players decide what works for them. Do they use team trainers? Do they use their own trainers? I always wonder how guys get special advantages either through diet, training, whatever. And everyone has different DNA so I wonder if some guys are just naturally gifted and it doesn't matter what they do or if it does? And I also wonder if this staff gives a team like the Pats a competitive advantage vs our players? I have no idea.

Could Geimont be the difference between a Lombardi or missing the playoffs. I just struck me especially reading about him thinking about the pursuit of a Lombardi and got me wonder the impact he really can make.
    I bet it boils down to cost.

My guess is younger guys or guys drafted lower rely more on team trainers and guys with more $$$ in the bank have their own guys as well as those employed by the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Did anybody show up with a yellow moustache?
    I broke out laughing at this! Good one.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    One Baby Mama...
    Two Baby Mamas...
    Three Baby Mamas...
    Four...

How many Baby Mamas, Before you're a Whore...

Sorry in advance...
    What a shot! You guys are in rare form at the camp opening.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Diontae Johnson brushes off his lack of participation on Day 1 of Steelers Rookie Minicamp

The newest Steelers wide receiver didn’t participate fully in minicamp, but isn’t concerned with his first day as a professional.

By Jeff Hartman
    May 11, 2019, 2:17pm EDT

Pittsburgh Steelers fans have been patiently awaiting the arrival of their newly added players, and that day finally came Friday when the team welcomed their rookies, among others, to Day 1 of Rookie Minicamp.

Everything from jersey numbers, skilled plays caught on film and activity levels were all the rage on social media, and websites like this, as they try to get a grasp on who might be big-time playmakers, and who might just be praying to stay on the 90-man roster long enough to collect a few paychecks.

One of the more head-scratching aspects of Day 1 was the activity level, or should we say inactivity level, of third round pick Diontae Johnson. The former Toledo wide receiver was present, but only participated in individual drills.

This per Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Johnson participated in the individual portion of the 1-hour, 45-minute workout, but he did little after that.

Johnson said he was not injured — “I’m fine. I’m fine right now.” — and deferred questions about his lack of participation to coach Mike Tomlin.
    While his participation on Day 2 will be a good glimpse of whether he is dealing with a nagging injury or was held out for other reasons, it is safe to say any reason for him to be sitting out on Day 1 of Rookie Minicamp is not a big deal.

The Steelers’ newest wide receiver will get every opportunity to show off his skills when the veterans show up for minicamp and Organized Team Activites (OTAs) and eventually training camp, but for now taking precaution is paramount.

As for Johnson’s overall thoughts on his first day with the Steelers? He is just happy to be back playing football.

“It’s exciting being able to play football again, being able to run routes and catch balls and learn the plays,” Johnson said.

The rookie minicamp concludes Sunday before players return for OTAs on May 21st.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/11/18615893/diontae-johnson-brushes-off-his-lack-of-participation-on-day-1-of-steelers-rookie-minicamp-nfl-draft
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Rookie Minicamp Recap, Day 2: Mike Tomlin recaps the first two days of camp

The Steelers’ rookies took the field for the first time in black-and-gold in Day 2 of rookie minicamp.

By Jeff Hartman
    May 12, 2019, 8:24am EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers were back on the field Friday at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, but they didn’t have their full compliment of players in uniform. No, it was just the rookies participating during Day 2 of Rookie Minicamp Friday.

Considering this is the first time the media, and fans, have gotten to see the newest members of the 90-man roster, there was plenty of news to decipher after the players ended practice.

In this recap we will give the majority of credit to those who were there by just highlighting the content which we are sharing.

With that said, let’s get to the news of Day 2 of Rookie Minicamp:

• Coach Tomlin Speaks

After Day 1 fans didn’t hear from Mike Tomlin, but that changed on Saturday when Tomlin held court to media for a brief press conference. He talked about expectations of rookies, how many of them could prove capable of playing in Year 1, and more.

Check out the interview below:

Coach Tomlin is excited to watch the rookies prepare for the NFL. pic.twitter.com/y2mFlc5ehc
    — Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 11, 2019
    • Diontae Johnson taking the day off

After Day 1 the majority of fans were wondering why Diontae Johnson didn’t participate in the team portion of minicamp. He said he wasn’t injured, but that might turn out to be a lie after he sat out most of, if not all, of Day 2.

Diontae Johnson, apparently injured, didn’t do much more than observe on the field today pic.twitter.com/4YJSeqzn2u
    — Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) May 11, 2019
    • Zach Gentry Speaks

The majority of rookies spoke to the media after Day 1. We got to hear from Devin Bush, Justin Layne, Benny Snell Jr. and Diontae Johnson, but one of the rookies who didn’t speak to the media was Zach Gentry. Gentry got his chance to talk after Day 2.

Zach Gentry believes this rookie class is acclimating well to life in the NFL. pic.twitter.com/v08RTG26iD
    — Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 11, 2019
    • VIDEOS/PHOTOS

New O-Line coach Shaun Sarrett running the O-Line show pic.twitter.com/3nDZEaJdlQ
    Zach Gentry draws a bead on a pass thrown his way (he caught it) pic.twitter.com/WHgKfzefa9
    The Steelers will conclude their rookie minicamp on Sunday, and the team will continue their Phase 2 of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) until they hit Phase 3 on May 21st. Stay tuned to BTSC for the latest news and notes surrounding the black-and-gold as they prepare for these offseason workouts.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-camp-nfl-news
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Rookie Minicamp Recap, Day 3: Benny Snell Jr. shows maturity beyond his years

The Steelers’ rookies took the field for the first time in black-and-gold in Day 3 of rookie minicamp.

By Jeff Hartman
    May 13, 2019, 8:50am EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers were back on the field Sunday at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, but they didn’t have their full compliment of players in uniform. No, it was just the rookies participating during Day 3 of Rookie Minicamp Friday.

Considering this is the first time the media, and fans, have gotten to see the newest members of the 90-man roster, there was plenty of news to decipher after the players ended practice.

In this recap we will give the majority of credit to those who were there by just highlighting the content which we are sharing.

With that said, let’s get to the news of Day 3 of Rookie Minicamp:

• Benny Snell gets it

There are times when people hear Snell talk and roll their eyes. He is a very confident young man, but don’t think he doesn’t also have his head on his shoulders correctly. Snell spoke after Day 3 of minicamp about how although he is now a professional, he is always ready to learn. Learn from Ben Roethlisberger, and other greats who have gone before him. So, in other words, Snell isn’t just about referring to himself in the third person, and using slogans like “Snell Yeah!”

New Steelers RB Benny Snell Jr. wants to learn from the greats, including his own quarterback. pic.twitter.com/ov4bZlHp8x
    — Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) May 12, 2019
    • Mike Tomlin on the 60-man rookie minicamp

Coach Tomlin talks to reporters briefly after practice regarding the challenge that is dealing with a 60-man rookie minicamp roster.

The sheer volume of a 60-man rookie minicamp has kept Steelers coach Mike Tomlin busy this weekend. pic.twitter.com/zxqtytDkNq
    — Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) May 12, 2019
    • Rookies first NFL experience

Wondering what the first time stepping on an NFL practice field is like for the rookies? Several rookies give their take on minicamp and what it is like being in the NFL.

Members of our rookie class talk about their first experience in the NFL as they wrap up rookie minicamp. pic.twitter.com/Aamz6nWOaX
    — Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 12, 2019
    • VIDEOS/PHOTOS

Steelers WR sleeper cut, part I:
    No. 82 former CFL star Diontae Spencer; No. 81 former Duquesne star Nehari Crawford. pic.twitter.com/FuO72gyTEW
    — James C Wexell (@jimwexell) May 12, 2019
    Part II: pic.twitter.com/dmGcmxF3Zt
    — James C Wexell (@jimwexell) May 12, 2019
    Rookie minicamp is in full swing‼️ pic.twitter.com/y9hZv33o1r
    That's a wrap on rookie minicamp pic.twitter.com/b5tVh80piW
    5️⃣5️⃣ takes the field in Black & Gold. pic.twitter.com/x1E9Jl8xiS
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2019-nfl-draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Monday, May 13, 2019 09:00 AM

A weekend of learning for rookies

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

Getting to know you: The Steelers wrapped up their three-day rookie minicamp on Sunday, and now the group will join veterans for the final week of Phase Two of the offseason program, before OTAs begin on May 21.

Many of the rookies are excited to work with the veterans at their position, including third-round pick Diontae Johnson who wants to learn from fellow receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster.

“I’m excited,” said Diontae Johnson. “JuJu is a great player, a Pro Bowl receiver. For me to come in here and learn from him, soak up as much information I can from him and apply that to my game, I’m excited. He’s a great player. I can’t wait to learn from him.”

Benny Snell, the fourth-round pick from Kentucky, can’t wait to work with the likes of James Conner and others in the Steelers’ backfield.

“There are a lot of weapons and guys I have been looking up to since I was little,” said Snell. “I can’t wait to learn from them. I am excited to work with them. James Conner, he is amazing. I can’t wait to meet him and learn from him.”

Loves to win: First-round pick Devin Bush, who signed his contract on Sunday, made an early impression calling the defense in his first practice, but he doesn’t want it to stop there. He wants to show that he is the perfect fit overall for the defense.

“Pittsburgh is known for their defense, being a defensive team,” said Bush. “The guys that are in place on defense and offense go hand-in-hand. We will feed off each other.

“I will bring an attitude to the defense. I have a winning mentality. A leader. A guy who loves to play football. This team wants to win, and I am a guy that loves to win.”

Hello again: Minicamp was the first opportunity for coaches to get their first look at the team’s nine draft picks, as well as the undrafted rookie free agents who joined the team post-draft.

It was also an opportunity for some players to catch up with each other, including Johnson and Snell. The two have the same agent and roomed together at the NFL Combine.

“Diontae is amazing, he’s a cool guy, cool dude, got some hands, and I’m excited that we get Part II,” said Snell. “When he got drafted and I got drafted, I am like, ‘Part II, better get ready.’”

Tomorrow isn’t promised... Make the best out what you can today
    — Mr SNELL YA LATER���� (@benny_snell) May 12, 2019

Feeding him: Snell was easily one of the most entertaining rookies, speaking openly and enthusiastically, especially when he described what he referred to as ‘Benny Snell football.’

“Benny Snell football can be second and three, third and three, fourth and two,” said Snell. “It can be third and goal, fourth and goal. It can be four-minute offense. You just have to run the clock out to win the game. It’s just feeding him. Letting him run it up. He is going to get up, he is having fun, he might dance a little bit. But he is going to run it back and do it again. Everybody in the stadium, both teams, know what is happening.

“It works because you put the ball in a playmaker’s hands and he makes plays. That is really it.”

He said it: Third-round pick Justin Layne on his experience playing receiver helping him in the secondary:

“I can just play the ball in the air. I feel like that’s one of my strengths. Just playing receiver, I feel like I already know what they’re going to do and their route combination.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/a-weekend-of-learning-for-rookies

Legend

User Info Menu

Saturday, May 11, 2019 02:05 PM

Tomlin: 'Very little surprises me'

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

There are 60 players taking part in the Steelers rookie minicamp this weekend.

Nine of them are the team’s draft picks. Others were signed as undrafted rookie free agents. And some are first-year players sprinkled throughout.

Then there is another group trying to catch the eyes of the coaches, in for a tryout to hope they make enough of an impression to get signed.

Coach Mike Tomlin enjoys each aspect of it, from the top picks showing why the team selected him, to the guys clawing and scratching for their opportunity to make their way onto an NFL roster.

“Really exciting stuff out here over the course of the last day and a half,” said Tomlin. “Introducing ourselves to these guys, getting to know them a little bit, how they learn, presenting base materials to them. Watching them move. Seeing how their bodies work and things of that nature.

“It’s an opportunity for some to try out and we are respectful of that and appreciative of their efforts. We are getting a good evaluation of some guys that are here on a tryout basis. We have a lot of irons in the fire as we do during a rookie minicamp. But it’s been a good, positive camp thus far. Just appreciate the efforts, energy and attention we are getting from the young people.”

Tomlin said there is a lot they try to accomplish during the three-day minicamp, and being open to everyone having an opportunity is a key.

“You multitask on a weekend like this,” said Tomlin. “You have people here under different circumstances. You are really sensitive to that. Some guys like Devin Bush, you are getting them oriented into how we do business, what’s going to be expected and introducing him to the drill. Where as others who are on less stable footing you are more respectful of their position and the fact that they may be trying to earn a spot or gain somebody’s attention, so you want to provide opportunities to them to show themselves.”

More from Tomlin:

On if anything surprised him during minicamp so far:

“I have been doing this a while. Very little surprises me on a weekend like this.”

On if speed over size was a factor in selecting Devin Bush and Sutton Smith:

“A factor. Not the determining factor. Speed is always going to be an element to this thing relative to these positions and speed is an element for those guys.”

On if this group of rookies is going to have to contribute sooner than others in the past:

“If they are capable. The journey determines that. Their talent determines that. Their work determines that. If they are capable I am not opposed to contributions from these guys.”

On if he expects to see a lot of growth from Zach Gentry since he is newer to the position:

“It’s reasonable to expect him to get a lot better and do so in a short period of time, but we’ll see.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/tomlin-very-little-surprises-me

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Rookie Minicamp: A whole lot of nothing that really is something

The two best things that can realistically happen coming out of Pittsburgh Steelers rookie minicamp: no injuries and all reports telling us what we already thought we knew.

By Shannon White
    May 14, 2019, 9:05am EDT

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie minicamp has and and gone, and a renewed excitement fills the air. For the first time in a long time, some members of this year's draft class will be expected to contribute on the field right out of the gate. I know some will argue that the acquisition of Mark Barron will lessen the need for Devin Bush to start right away, but you don't go against normal team protocol and aggressively trade current and future draft capitol to move up to select an individual you don't feel is capable of starting sooner rather than later.

You don't go against conventional wisdom and select a wide receiver prospect from Toledo, with a gaggle of highly regarded Power 5 receivers left on the board, unless you feel certain you have found the proverbial diamond in the rough that will be able to see the field immediately. Those moments maybe limited to special teams at first, but the big play ability that peaked the Steelers interest should be evident from the start.

The Steelers selection of Justin Layne surprised absolutely no one, but his effectiveness on field and resulting extended minutes may end up surprising quite a few skeptics.

Finally, you don't draft workhorse RB Benny Snell Jr only to have him sitting on the bench or listed as a healthy scratch, especially when there were some tight end prospects the Steelers had showed interest in still on the board. Snell is a warrior who loves to compete and will make it very difficult for the Steelers to keep him off the field.

The remaining draftees are also talented young players who still have a lot to learn in order to become contributors. Nobody knows how long their development will take, but they shouldn't be expected to play meaningful minutes this season, though special teams may provide an avenue onto the roster.

Although there are no pads and no hitting during minicamp, that doesn't mean the reports coming out are without merit. This is the first opportunity to hit the field together as a team and start their introductions. You also only get one chance to make a first impression. Hopefully this first impression will confirm what we the fans have heard all along.

For example, we heard that Jarvis Jones was a highly productive college player with questionable athleticism. Minicamp came and went with little fanfare or glowing reports, definitely nothing to help ease those concerns. Same could be said about Bud Dupree and Artie Burns. Highly athletic but raw prospects. Minicamp only confirmed those reports.

On the flip side, it was widely reported that David Decastro was a draft day steal for the Steelers, a talented guard with excellent movement skills. TJ Watt was considered to have many of the same attributes as his superstar brother JJ Watt. Minicamp for those players was our first glimpse that those statements were accurate.

This rookie minicamp the most important thing I want to hear is no serious injuries. Next, it would be great to hear that a few early round draft picks flashed the abilities that made them early round selections in the first place.

Exceptional players behave exceptionally. The Steelers devoted an extreme amount of time and resources in scouting Devin Bush, and they obviously came away feeling he has special abilities and potential. His leadership skills and athleticism should be evident anytime he takes the field, even at a rookie minicamp. Anybody who has ever been in the presence of greatness can tell you the first time they recognized it. The initial reports about Bush at minicamp speak glowingly about his leadership presence and impact.

Diontae Johnson was a limited participant at the first day of minicamp, but hopefully he will have plenty of opportunities to shine over the next couple of days. I believe we would all feel a little better if the reports coming out are referencing his impeccable balance and acceleration into and out of his breaks and natural receiving skills. Though the expectations are probably unfair to put on any rookie receiver, if Johnson is half as good as the Steelers have made him out to be, he may prove capable of taking some of the burden off JuJu's shoulders.

Barring injury to a starter, Justin Layne will not be pressed into starting duty like Terrell Edmunds was last season. However, his athleticism, ball skills, and confidence seems to suggest an ability to contribute at some point this season. His ability to track the football is immediately apparent and greatly needed in the Steelers secondary. Who can forget Burnett being in perfect position to knock a pass away against the Raiders, at a key junction of the game no less, but he never located the ball?

Finally, it appears Benny Snell Jr has arrived at minicamp with a warrior's mentality and a huge chip on his shoulder. He doesn't feel he was drafted as insurance in case James Conner gets injured again. He came to compete and he plans on seeing the field. I wouldn't bet against him either. Minicamp isn't where a player like Snell will really shine. That will happen once the pads go on and start popping. During minicamp you just want to hear he is showing soft hands and is catching the ball well. Snell's presence should only elevate Conner's game.

So far I have been pleasantly surprised by all the positive reports of each player's exploits, and the way they have handled themselves during interviews. Believe it or not, it really does matter.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/14/18566425/steelers-rookie-minicamp-a-whole-lot-of-nothing-that-really-is-something-2019-nfl-draft-news