Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Captain Lemmings stimulated a question....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Okay so I'll start by saying Alex is a close friend who is exceptionally knowledgeable. Now I agree with him in we'll see some movement however it may not be exactly as folks have outlined. I'll explain.
    We have drafted D a bunch of years in a row and I don't see that changing this year either unless a Hockenson were to fall to 20 and I do not believe that is likely. We only have a few guys who jump out as close to perfect fits on D... ..White,Bush ,Allen , Sweat ,perhaps Burns. So say they are all gone as is Hock.
    Stay pat at 20 n grab a solid D lineman or a solid corner n there is nothing wrong with that. However a slight trade back to 23 or 24 could give us a extra pick or 2 to allow us a decent move up in round 2 into say top 42 where the value there isn't much different than what we get at 23 imho. And we still have 9 or 10 picks.
    So as AK stated movement may take place. And I believe movement may be in both directions just to add to the intrigue of draft day and all the options that exist.

Curious to see where folks believe value lies in this draft and how to go about maxing out that value.
    Iím high on a player not mentioned much in this thread...Noah Fant. Everyone is in love with Hock as the complete TE. I am too but I feel that while he can be the reliable Heath 2.0, Fant could be the more impactful player. Fant can be the match up nightmare that teams wonít have an answer for and with 100 catches now sitting in Oakland we may need that.

Thoughts?

Starter

User Info Menu

Why does it feel like everyone wants a TE every year in the first round?

Then people turn right around and slam the team for lack of players on defense?

It’s like TE is some type of magic position that will get us over the hump and IMO it’s more of a luxury pick when I look at our roster.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 04-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Why does it feel like everyone wants a TE every year in the first round?

Then people turn right around and slam the team for lack of players on defense?

It’s like TE is some type of magic position that will get us over the hump and IMO it’s more of a luxury pick when I look at our roster.
    I totally agree with Oh Wow on this. Every year it's the same thing. TE's in the first round are luxury picks for playoff teams. Kelce and Gronk were not found in the first round. So why do we have to find a TE in the first round?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I totally agree with Oh Wow on this. Every year it's the same thing. TE's in the first round are luxury picks for playoff teams. Kelce and Gronk were not found in the first round. So why do we have to find a TE in the first round?
    I'm mostly in this camp too.

I'd prefer it if someone at or near the top of our draft board is a defensive player.

But if one of the TEs is clearly BPA, it's probably the best pick. I just hope the draft doesn't break that way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm mostly in this camp too.

I'd prefer it if someone at or near the top of our draft board is a defensive player.

But if one of the TEs is clearly BPA, it's probably the best pick. I just hope the draft doesn't break that way.
    If we lose out on Bush , White ,all the Elite Edge guys, and O-linemen , then I want to trade down. I don't believe in this cornerback class and I don't believe in taking a TE when we have so many other critical needs. If we can't get Elite players, then we stock pile picks; hoping to hit on a missed gem.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 04-11-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Starter

User Info Menu

Are we a TE away from a SB?

Seems like it’s the same prediction every year and I don’t get the fascination.

I think Vance showed he is a pretty good TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vance is hurt alot so I see why there's a need. But not anywhere in the first 2 rounds would I consider taking a TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown and Jesse James are no longer with the team.

Last year, AB had 104 catches for 1297 yards and 15 TD and Jesse added 30 catches for 423 yards and 2 TD.

So, between them, that's 134 catches for 1720 yards and 17 TD that walked out the door.

No one player is going to replace that level of production, so we need to add multiple options in free agency and the draft.

So far, the only addition from the outside to address this is the FA signing of WR Donte Moncrief.

Last year, Moncrief had 48 catches for 668 yards and 3 TD. We obviously need for than just him.

We will add both a WR and a TE during this draft. And we aren't going to wait until late while using all prime picks on D.

In this particular draft, I'm not very impressed with the top level round 1 talent at WR, but there appears to be very solid depth at WR in rounds 2-4, which just so happens to be our sweet spot for taking wideouts in the draft anyway.

However, this draft appears to be particularly strong in terms of top TE prospects compared to other years. And if we can get a second well-rounded TE prospect to pair with Vance who would be beneficial in both the pass game as well as the run game, then we could transfer away from the 11 personnel of recent years (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR formations) and move toward 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR formations) which would allow us to run and pass the ball with equal effectiveness.

My ideal scenario for the draft would be able to obtain a well-rounded LB prospect who can play just as well vs. the pass as vs. the run, because that would improve our overall defense.

But my second best scenario would be to obtain a well-rounded TE prospect who can contribute to our passing game as well as our running game, because that would improve our overall offense.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we lose out on Bush , White ,all the Elite Edge guys, and O-linemen , then I want to trade down. I don't believe in this cornerback class and I don't believe in taking a TE when we have so many other critical needs. If we can't get Elite players, then we stock pile picks; hoping to hit on a missed gem.
    I wouldn't be upset it that happened, but I'd be tempted to take a CB if he was highest on our board.

I'd probably also be tempted to take one of the top 2 TEs or so, but I don't really know enough about the players to trust my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Antonio Brown and Jesse James are no longer with the team.

Last year, AB had 104 catches for 1297 yards and 15 TD and Jesse added 30 catches for 423 yards and 2 TD.

So, between them, that's 134 catches for 1720 yards and 17 TD that walked out the door.

No one player is going to replace that level of production, so we need to add multiple options in free agency and the draft.

So far, the only addition from the outside to address this is the FA signing of WR Donte Moncrief.

Last year, Moncrief had 48 catches for 668 yards and 3 TD. We obviously need for than just him.

We will add both a WR and a TE during this draft. And we aren't going to wait until late while using all prime picks on D.

In this particular draft, I'm not very impressed with the top level round 1 talent at WR, but there appears to be very solid depth at WR in rounds 2-4, which just so happens to be our sweet spot for taking wideouts in the draft anyway.

However, this draft appears to be particularly strong in terms of top TE prospects compared to other years. And if we can get a second well-rounded TE prospect to pair with Vance who would be beneficial in both the pass game as well as the run game, then we could transfer away from the 11 personnel of recent years (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR formations) and move toward 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR formations) which would allow us to run and pass the ball with equal effectiveness.

My ideal scenario for the draft would be able to obtain a well-rounded LB prospect who can play just as well vs. the pass as vs. the run, because that would improve our overall defense.

But my second best scenario would be to obtain a well-rounded TE prospect who can contribute to our passing game as well as our running game, because that would improve our overall offense.
    Someone gets it