Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pre-draft position outlook

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Fant had a great Combine, running a 4.50 forty at 249 lbs is pretty impressive.
    Congrats for him but check out his game film and you point out what impresses you about him as a player. I don’t much care for the combine personally. I do not want to see a guy run without pads on a track. I want to see what he looks like running with pads through traffic. His route running is average, his speed is good but I also seen much production on blown coverage. He doesn’t run the yac with authority. He cant run people over or make them miss. He is a seam splitter and a guy who could present some match up issues. But that isn’t a first round TE.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Congrats for him but check out his game film and you point out what impresses you about him as a player. I don’t much care for the combine personally. I do not want to see a guy run without pads on a track. I want to see what he looks like running with pads through traffic. His route running is average, his speed is good but I also seen much production on blown coverage. He doesn’t run the yac with authority. He cant run people over or make them miss. He is a seam splitter and a guy who could present some match up issues. But that isn’t a first round TE.
    I'm with you - not impressed by his track skills - Steelers Depot watched his film and said no way is he a 1st round guy - he also had double digit drops.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I'm with you - not impressed by his track skills - Steelers Depot watched his film and said no way is he a 1st round guy - he also had double digit drops.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

Legend

User Info Menu

20 STEELERS

Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Antonio Brown is gone and the Steelers could offset some of his lost production by taking the most athletic tight end in a stacked draft class.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...arget-offense/

Legend

User Info Menu

I much prefer well-rounded TE's who are beneficial in both the run game as well as the pass game. These guys are worth their weight in gold to me. If you can block like a tackle, and also sniff out holes in zones and catch passes like a possession receiver, and then break tackles like a smashmouth RB, there is always a place for you out there. Vance could be like this when healthy, and adding another one could be revolutionary to our offense as we transition away from the Brown and Bell era.

Drafting the athletic TE who does very little blocking (essentially a "big WR" who splits out rather than lines up next to a tackle) tends to lead to disappointment. If that is all that you are looking for, you'd be better off just drafting a pure WR who is even more athletic.

It's kind of like drafting a corner who doesn't want to give any effort to tackle anyone in run support. Those guys may be able to make plays that "wow" you on occasion, but they aren't the kind of guys I'm looking for when building my team.
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Legend

User Info Menu

convinced.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As deep as they say this draft is, they say there are only maybe 13-20 first round graded players in this draft. So maybe we are really stuck drafting a 2nd round graded talent in the first.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    As deep as they say this draft is, they say there are only maybe 13-20 first round graded players in this draft. So maybe we are really stuck drafting a 2nd round graded talent in the first.
    Really? where did you read that. I'd like to take a peek at it myself.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Really? where did you read that. I'd like to take a peek at it myself.
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...grades-to-date

I just did a quick google to show you that it has been reported. Here is a quote from there:

So who gets the illustrious title of a "first round grade"? Thus far, I have nineteen of them. One thing I'd like to stress? I haven't watched everyone! So before we get into who has a first round grade, I'd like to recognize some potential candidates that I have not noted as of this date.

Not yet graded: Duke QB Daniel Jones, Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs, Georgia WR Riley Ridley, Alabama TE Irv Smith Jr, Wisconsin OT David Edwards, Florida EDGE Jachai Polite, Alabama LB Mack Wilson, Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye, Alabama FS Deionte Thompson, Florida S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks George