Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters who can be upgraded/ replaced

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Starters who can be upgraded/ replaced

I started off making an " over reaching draft" based on our visits, and seeing that highest rated players brought in were Rock Ya-Sin and Harris. And I had us overreaching for Harris, who got me thinking of "what starters do we have, that we think they are good to great ,that we can actually upgrade in the draft". Not saying we are going to cut the players, but upgrade and maybe find new starter by mid season.

1) Conner- We all love him. Great story. Runs hard, kills people, Steeler type physical back (its a myth). Filled in great last year, but did you see the first two words of sentence, " filled in" . What if he is just that a "fill in" bhind one of the better OL. His violent running makes him even more injure pron.

2) Hilton- No wonder why this cat wants an extention instead of just a one year tender. If we draft a CB high, or Sutton, Burns improve drastically could Nelson be our new slot?

3) Davis- last year of contract, he moved around positions in his first 3 years so I give him some benefit of the doubt. But the dude misses big time on tackles, takes horrid angles, and turnovers.

4) Vance- I been wanting to upgrade him for ever! Last year he proved me wrong, but he still has the drops and misses games.

5) Bince Williams he wanted to be a killer B too. They are all gone except for our leader, double BB. Maybe we find a more athletic Buck ILB in the draft. We found our Mack in Barron, and have Bostic as back up.

6) Tuit- I know shocker name, but past two years he has sort of reached his plateau and this draft is filled with talent DL. If one drops to us, maybe by mid season we have a new starter.... just saying.

7) Bud- how can I forget about our buddy, I think the coaches like what he does, but we all know...
    Last edited by steeler_george; 04-07-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You Conner hater... smh.

Yeah, I think Conner and Samuel and another vet should be enough for a decent backfield. Oils really like to see Conner make it through this season injury free but his style is too physical and I expect him to miss a few games.

Vance is fine.

Bud isn’t as bad as folks make him out to be.

Maybe Williams could be upgraded or at least find a guy for 3rd down.

The only other position I agree with is Davis.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

8. Switzer and Rogers- both are decent to good, but if we draft another outside WR line, could JuJu just play mainly the slot and on occasion play on the outside. Or can we upgrade our slot and have big time player there tp match up with Juju, Moncrief, and Washington.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You'll never have the dream roster . . . When we did we were picked to go all the way several seasons only to end up embarrassed ...

Having said this it's not a bad list but I do agree. Connor can't go unchallenged. He's the guy this yr but it'll be nice having someone pushing him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I started off making an " over reaching draft" based on our visits, and seeing that highest rated players brought in were Rock Ya-Sin and Harris. And I had us overreaching for Harris, who got me thinking of "what starters do we have, that we think they are good to great ,that we can actually upgrade in the draft". Not saying we are going to cut the players, but upgrade and maybe find new starter by mid season.

1) Conner- We all love him. Great story. Runs hard, kills people, Steeler type physical back (its a myth). Filled in great last year, but did you see the first two words of sentence, " filled in" . What if he is just that a "fill in" bhind one of the better OL. His violent running makes him even more injure pron.

2) Hilton- No wonder why this cat wants an extention instead of just a one year tender. If we draft a CB high, or Sutton, Burns improve drastically could Nelson be our new slot?

3) Davis- last year of contract, he moved around positions in his first 3 years so I give him some benefit of the doubt. But the dude misses big time on tackles, takes horrid angles, and turnovers.

4) Vance- I been wanting to upgrade him for ever! Last year he proved me wrong, but he still has the drops and misses games.

5) Bince Williams he wanted to be a killer B too. They are all gone except for our leader, double BB. Maybe we find a more athletic Buck ILB in the draft. We found our Mack in Barron, and have Bostic as back up.

6) Tuit- I know shocker name, but past two years he has sort of reached his plateau and this draft is filled with talent DL. If one drops to us, maybe by mid season we have a new starter.... just saying.

7) Bud- how can I forget about our buddy, I think the coaches like what he does, but we all know...
    I think you want to replace some of the better players so, I don't quite agree.

Conner is a good but physical back who may be prone to injury because of that style. He doesn't need replaced but I would not overwork him. Jaylen Samuels should be better this year and they will probably draft a back to replace Ridley. But the Steelers should run more this year and not overdo the passing which can lead to too many interceptions. Conner, Samuels and another back. Get back to a greater running attack.

I like Hilton because of his ability to blitz and he can make tackles near the line of scrimmage. He wasn't as good last year but I want to see another year before I think about parting ways.

Not a big Davis fan. He has a good height, weight speed component, but I don't think he is a really passionate player or a playmaker.

When Vance McDonald is healthy he looks like the real deal to me.

I like Williams because he is a very passionate player and an overachiever. You want to add talent to this position but not neglect Williams because he is solid depth.

Tuitt is a big time talent and a main cog in the defense. Can't agree with your thinking. I think he has underachieved mainly due to some injury issues.

I think people expect more from Dupree than he performs because he is uber-athletic but I also think his production is better than he gets credit for. It is possible to get someone better but
    I don't think it is as easy as it may seem.

Legend

User Info Menu

interesting topic.. and although im a huge fan of conner..i am also a fan of the RB by committee approach. Im not saying we need to draft his replacement... but a 1B type of guy. Same goes for Vance (who alot of folks wanted gone after his first year.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    interesting topic.. and although im a huge fan of conner..i am also a fan of the RB by committee approach. Im not saying we need to draft his replacement... but a 1B type of guy. Same goes for Vance (who alot of folks wanted gone after his first year.)
    Samuels is our 1B.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    You'll never have the dream roster . . . When we did we were picked to go all the way several seasons only to end up embarrassed ...

Having said this it's not a bad list but I do agree. Connor can't go unchallenged. He's the guy this yr but it'll be nice having someone pushing him.
    THIS ^^^^^...The NFL has a salary cap, You are NOT going to upgrade at EVERY position, No way, No how...NO team can make an All Star team...Not NE, not anybody!

We have a lot of money invested in the OL, and it shows! Some teams DL, CB's, LB's etc...But are weaker somewhere else...That's the way it is, has been for awhile, and is going to be...
    Last edited by Disco1981; 04-07-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    THIS ^^^^^...The NFL has a salary cap, You ars NOT going to upgrade at EVERY position, No way, No how...NO team can make an All Star team...Not NE, not anybody!

We have a lot of money invested in the OL, and it shows! Some teams DL, CB's, LB's etc...But are weaker somewhere else...That's the way it is, has been for awhile, and is going to be...
    What I am trying to point out is there are some key players who might need competition, or can even upgrade via the draft, not all in one year but maybe split time in year one and take over year two.

We did it with Mendehall, we almost did it with Burns over Gay,

Say a quick mock draft went something like this:

1.20) Lawrence DT- Tuit
    2.20) Savage S-Davis
    3.66) Layne CB slide Nelson to slot
    3.83) Isabella/ Boykin- Rogers/Switzer
    4.121) Montgomery RB-Conner
    5.175) Wring/Mack TE- Vance #2 tight end start
    6) Stills maybe too low
    6) U. Gilbert ILB anther Akron LB!
    6) Gentry TE
    7 ...
    Last edited by steeler_george; 04-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    What I am trying to point out is there are some key players who might need competition, or can even upgrade via the draft, not all in one year but maybe split time in year one and take over year two.

We did it with Mendehall, we almost did it with Burns over Gay,

Say a quick mock draft went something like this:

1.20) Lawrence DT- Tuit
    2.20) Savage S-Davis
    3.66) Layne CB slide Nelson to slot
    3.83) Isabella/ Boykin- Rogers/Switzer
    4.121) Montgomery RB-Conner
    5.175) Wring/Mack TE- Vance #2 tight end start
    6) Stills maybe too low
    6) U. Gilbert ILB anther Akron LB!
    6) Gentry TE
    7 ...
    Agreed...And I hope you're right...Always looking for better players, depth, and improving your weaknesses...I am really optimistic / have a gut feeling this is going to be a GREAT draft...Even at that though...You can't be expected to hit on every pick and be strong, with strong backups at every position...With all these picks, a few in the top of rounds we SHOULD really be able to address such deficiencies, and the best part is we can truly take BPA...Because even though some positions need an infux of young talent...It is not like some years where we absolutely had to take guys based on need, who should have never been taken where they were...Troy Edwards, Sweed, Burns, Jarvis then Dud etc...You get the point