Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Starters who can be upgraded/ replaced

Legend

User Info Menu

If there's a stud TE or ILB/EDGE rusher there at 20... I'll be disappointed if we go O-line. Next year will be the year to draft O-Line... once we've plugged our holes and have seen how Chuks, Hawkins, and Feiler are going to do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers feel “less urgent” needs after free agency

Posted by Josh Alper on April 22, 2019, 3:42 PM EDT

The Steelers held their pre-draft press conference on Monday and one of the messages sent by General Manager Kevin Colbert was that the team wouldn’t be taking certain positions off the board because they signed free agents that play them last month.

Wide receiver Donte Moncrief, cornerback Steven Nelson and linebacker/safety Mark Barron were all signed to fill needs on the team’s roster, but Colbert said that the team may still address all of those areas in the draft. Having those veterans on hand does make any needs at those spots feel “less urgent” by allowing rookies to develop at a slower pace.

“You really want to go in with these players and delay them getting onto the field as long as you can,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Over time, I think coach would get comfortable with what they can do, but to have them step out and play, it’s detrimental to the player. If they lose confidence early, it’s usually not returnable.”

The Steelers have four picks in the first three rounds and 10 overall picks at their disposal, which gives them a lot of capital to use on filling out the roster at any pace they want.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/22/steelers-feel-less-urgent-needs-after-free-agency/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    If there's a stud TE or ILB/EDGE rusher there at 20... I'll be disappointed if we go O-line. Next year will be the year to draft O-Line... once we've plugged our holes and have seen how Chuks, Hawkins, and Feiler are going to do.
    Sounds good but don’t be shocked if they take one.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Sounds good but don’t be shocked if they take one.
    I would be very surprised.

Legend

User Info Menu

For our 30 official predraft visits, there was only one o-lineman among them, a guard from LSU whose predraft projection is UDFA.

I expect us to draft an interior o-lineman for depth, because the only backup guard/center behind Foster, Pouncey, and DeCastro is B.J. Finney, with at tackle we have Villenueva, Feiler, Okorafor, Hawkins, and Banner.

However, the rookie o-lineman we draft will likely be a game day inactive in year one, so I think we use a 6th or 7th rounder in this draft. Maybe higher next year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't see us taking an Offensive lineman until Round 3 at the earliest. Most likely Round 4 or 5. I'd be shocked if they took one in Round 1 because there is so much top end defensive line talent in this draft it is far more likely we would take a DL at #20

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I can't see us taking an Offensive lineman until Round 3 at the earliest. Most likely Round 4 or 5. I'd be shocked if they took one in Round 1 because there is so much top end defensive line talent in this draft it is far more likely we would take a DL at #20
    I hear ya but with age and players contracts becoming due, at some point soon we gotta get some cheap, new, top flight talent on that O-line. And when it comes in, it has to be able to perform at an adequate playing level right away.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I hear ya but with age and players contracts becoming due, at some point soon we gotta get some cheap, new, top flight talent on that O-line. And when it comes in, it has to be able to perform at an adequate playing level right away.
    Feiler was able to step in for Gilbert in each of the last 2 seasons without much disruption.

If a tackle goes down this year, Okorafor should be able to step in without much disruption.

If a guard or center goes down this year, Finney should be able to step in without much disruption.

The 7 o-linemen who will be active on gameday are already set (Villenueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Feiler, Okorafor, and Finney).

The 8th o-lineman spot on the roster (a second backup tackle who will most likely be inactive on most gamedays) will come down to battle between Jerald Hawkins and Zach Banner in camp.

The 9th o-lineman spot on the roster (a second backup interior lineman who will most likely be inactive on most gamedays) will likely be a later round draft pick or UDFA this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

S Sean Davis Tabbed Steelers’ Key Homegrown Player For 2019 Season By NFL.com

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 28, 2019

Big things are expected out of Pittsburgh Steelers free safety Sean Davis in 2019 and especially with him not having to make yet another position switch this offseason. In fact, in a recent themed-article by Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com, Davis was named the Steelers homegrown talent player, who could provide the team huge boost by taking the next step in his development.

Here is what Rosenthal wrote about his selection of Davis for the Steelers.

No one has played more snaps for the Steelers’ defense over the last three seasons than Davis, yet the team still doesn’t seem entirely sure what it has in the 2016 second-round pick. After settling into his role as a free safety — his third position — Davis was less streaky overall in 2018. GM Kevin Colbert has poured resources into the team’s secondary, and it looks better on paper than it has in years. They’d look even better if Davis made enough big plays to inspire Colbert to sign him to an extension.

Last season, Davis, the Steelers second-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft out of Maryland, logged a team-high 979 defensive snaps on his way to registering 79 total tackles, one interception and 7 total passes defensed. It was Davis’ first full season at free safety after having to play strong safety and nickel cornerback in his first two seasons in the NFL.

According to stats compiled by Sports Info Solutions, Davis was targeted a total of 21 times last season and he allowed 14 receptions for 234 yards and 2 touchdowns. Davis also dropped two other balls he probably should have intercepted last season and Pro Football Focus has him down for 12 missed tackles.

Davis, in case you haven’t been following closely this offseason, is one of a few candidates to receive a contract extension between now and the start of the 2019 regular season as he’s now in the final year of his rookie contract. Because of that, it will be interesting to see if the Steelers ultimately get him inked to a new deal. If such a transaction does happen, Davis will then be in line to be the Steelers starting free safety the next few years. If, however, the 2019 regular season gets underway without Davis being extended, it could ultimately wind up being his final year in Pittsburgh. Regardless, the Steelers do indeed need Davis’ best season to date in 2019 and thus Rosenthal’s selection of him is very understandable.

For his career, Davis has registered 242 total tackles, 2.5 sacks and 5 interceptions to go along with 20 total passes defensed and a forced fumble. He’s missed just 1 game during his first three seasons in the NFL and that happened late last season when he missed the week 17 finale against the Cincinnati Bengals because of a quadriceps injury.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/s-...on-by-nfl-com/

Legend

User Info Menu

An argument can be made for Davis that he too is a victim of Butler’s mismanagement of players to certain positions. Similar to Bostic.