Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starters who can be upgraded/ replaced

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Right now we are in better position moving forward at ILB vs OLB.
    Dupree is gone after this yr. ... next yr we will have BARRON and Williams on the roster and only TJ WATT. Unless the team really thinks #92 is legit I think we need OLB and Safety over ILB at this point.
    One thing we know for sure about the edge rushers this year is that Nick Bosa and Josh Allen will most certainly be off the board within the top 5 picks (perhaps even top 3).

If teams get scared off by Montez Sweat's heart condition, he'd be a consideration, but I highly doubt he falls, since reports are that the heart condition is relatively minor and I don't think he even needed to return to Indy after the Combine for a medical re-check.

Guys like Rashan Gary and Clelin Ferrell seems more like an edge rushers in a 4-3 as a DE with their hand on the ground than OLB in a two-point stance in a 3-4.

Brian Burns could be a legit option, if available at #20.

Jaylon Ferguson put up some impressive numbers, but Colbert does not seem to like to draft small school players with his top pick in round 1. Also, his time in the 3 cone at his Pro Day was a woefully bad 8.08. He had to attempt it several times because he kept slipping, which gives you concerns about his overall agility and flexibility.

Jachai Polite once looked like a first round possibility, but bad workouts initially dropped him to day two consideration, and then even worse interviews with teams may have further dropped him down possibly to day three consideration.

Guys here love Chase Winovich because of the local Pittsburgh area connection and the long blond hair brings to mind thoughts of Kevin Greene (or Clay Matthews for the younger folks), but although he's a high motor guy, athletically he's is similar to...gulp...Jarvis Jones. A day two option, not a guy to consider in round 1.

So realistically, it looks like it may be Burns or bust at #20 if we are looking for an edge rusher, just like it may be Bush or bust at #20 if we are looking for an ILB in round 1.
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    One thing we know for sure about the edge rushers this year is that Nick Bosa and Josh Allen will most certainly be off the board within the top 5 picks (perhaps even top 3).

If teams get scared off by Montez Sweat's heart condition, he'd be a consideration, but I highly doubt he falls, since reports are that the heart condition is relatively minor and I don't think he even needed to return to Indy after the Combine for a medical re-check.

Guys like Rashan Gary and Clelin Ferrell seems more like an edge rushers in a 4-3 as a DE with their hand on the ground than OLB in a two-point stance in a 3-4.

Jaylon Ferguson put up some impressive numbers, but Colbert does not seem to like to draft small school players with his top pick in round 1. Also, his time in the 3 cone at his Pro Day was a woefully bad 8.08. He had to attempt it several times because he kept slipping, which gives you concerns about his overall agility and flexibility.

Jachai Polite once looked like a first round possibility, but bad workouts initially dropped him to day two consideration, and then even worse interviews with teams may have further dropped him down possibly to day three consideration.

Guys here love Chase Winovich because of the local Pittsburgh area connection and the long blond hair brings to mind thoughts of Kevin Greene (or Clay Matthews for the younger folks), but although he's a high motor guy, athletically he's is similar to...gulp...Jarvis Jones. A day two option, not a guy to consider in round 1.

So realistically, it looks like it may be Burns or bust at #20 if we are looking for an edge rusher, just like it may be Bush or bust at #20 if we are looking for an ILB in round 1.

I mentioned to another post of your in another thread...we could get a really good Offensive Lineman at #20. Maybe not sexy but a ten year player. Pouncey isn't getting younger. Foster is at the end of his career and as much as I love AV, maybe we can improve there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Excellent review. I've been thinking a lot of the same things. at positions of need like ILB and Edge, it either seems that players will be long gone at 20, and those remaining aren't worth the pick. At CB, it is likely that the top prospects are there but is there a real game changing corner available in this draft?

Ideally we need to see a run at a couple of positions. I'm hoping that a run at QB sees 4 go ahead of the 20th pick and then maybe either a run at tackle or DL. i'm not sure who shows up but can always hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

4 QBs and maybe a WR or two go before us and we’ll be just fine then.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Burns is there at #20 they better run to the podium....
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I mentioned to another post of your in another thread...we could get a really good Offensive Lineman at #20.
    there could very well be a run on OL also, did you have any particular OL in mind?

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with all but Vance. He is a violent aggressive runner and pass catcher. He adds some nastiness to our O and the dude is just good. I think we are set at #1 TE, as he seemed to put it together last year. 50 catches, played in 15 games very good average yards per catch. Connor is a good but not great back. But he works for now. I do think we need to add a quality back up. Never been a Tuitt fan. He underwhelms me. Frankly Heyward does too.

Legend

User Info Menu

"Good" is usually what id call our RB when we are in SBs... at least for the past 25 years. So good is good enough.

With that being said, I want a "1A" guy (not a backup) RB in this draft to help share the load. Hopefully we get one in rounds 3-5.

Legend

User Info Menu

Impending 2020 free agents should impact Steelers draft plans in 2019

With the Steelers likely to lose some key starters to free agency in 2020, it would not be a surprise to see them address those positions in the draft this year.

By Simon Chester
    Apr 12, 2019, 7:45am EDT

With the acquisition of notable free agents in key areas of need this offseason, it could be argued that the Pittsburgh Steelers can be somewhat flexible with their draft strategy this year. Steven Nelson should be expected to start opposite Joe Haden, Mark Barron will be paired with Vince Williams and Donte Moncrief will more than likely beat out James Washington to be the opening day starter.

But while the Steelers might not have any glaring holes to fill ahead of the regular season this year, they might yet have some issues in 2020. And for a team that is cognizant about the importance of planning for the future, their perceived needs for next season could have a significant impact on draft plans in 2019.

General manager Kevin Colbert has frequently discussed the team’s philosophy of keeping one eye on the future when making draft decisions, and he will most likely deliver a similar message in the coming weeks, just as he has done in previous years. This coming from his pre-draft press conference last year.

“We’re all guilty of focusing on one year. 2018 is what we’re focused on, but we’re never going to lose sight of 2019 and beyond because when you do that, you will end up in a rut that you may not get out of . . . We want to be able to compete for championships every year. 2018’s most important, but we will never lose focus on 19 and beyond while trying to be champions next year.”
    If Pittsburgh is to avoid ending up in that rut that Colbert talks about, the Steelers will almost certainly need to address some potential issues they could be facing after this season. They may only have 11 unrestricted free agent in 2020, but several of them are starters or playing in key roles.

While the Steelers are in no real danger of losing Ben Roethlisberger, the sizable new contract he is expected to sign will take a significant chunk out of the $48 million in salary cap space the team is projected to have in 2020. Keeping Artie Burns may not be high on the list of priorities, but there will be challenging financial decisions to make about Joe Haden, Sean Davis, Javon Hargrave and B.J. Finney, with not enough money to pay for them all without making sacrifices elsewhere.

It is also worth noting that the two-year deals signed by Anthony Chickillo, Mark Barron and Donte Moncrief have all been structured in such a way as to suggest they all could be let go next year, effectively making them all potential free agents as well.

Should the worst come to pass, the Steelers could possibly be faced with replacing three inside linebackers, two cornerbacks, two outside linebackers, a safety, a wide receiver and a defensive lineman next year. A highly unlikely scenario to be sure, but one Pittsburgh will have to plan for in part.

Selecting at least one cornerback, an edge rusher and an inside linebacker in the 2019 draft should be almost guaranteed, with there being a good chance that the Steelers will double dip at one of the positions. As much as the idea of drafting a player like Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson might seem attractive if he was available, future needs suggest any philosophy of taking the best player available could be forced to take a backseat this year.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/4/12/18307066/impending-2020-free-agents-should-impact-steelers-draft-plans-in-2019-cornerbacks-joe-haden-nfl-news
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Rookie

User Info Menu

I’d like to see the NT upgraded in the 3-4 look. Something that’s been missing for a while now.
    Get a real natural NT ala Casey Hampton to replace Javon Hargrave/Dan McCullers.
    Hargrave is good as an interior DL/pass rusher. Can beat 1-on-1 blocks. Not great as 3-4 NT. Definitely should stay in the rotation with Heyward and Tuitt. McCullers hasn’t shown much of anything at all.
    I think a day 3 guy like this could help us, especially when we were gashed by the ground game.

Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 336. Arm: 32.00. Hand: 10.13.
    40 Time: 5.10. 10-Yd: 1.74. Three Cone: 8.02.
    Bench: 30. Vertical: 27. Broad: 8-6.
    Projected Round (2019): 4-6.
    In 2018, Mack recorded 32 tackles with 5.5 sacks with 10 tackles for a loss and one pass broken up.
    At the East-West Shrine practices: “He was tough to move, eating up blockers, stuffing holes, and swallowing up backs at the line of scrimmage.” Did the same at the North-South game.

Use 1 of those 6th round picks if he’s available.