Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters who can be upgraded/ replaced

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m thinking our linebacker corps is red alert and we need to address it with our first pick in the draft.Giving Colbert the best chance to hit on that position. Trying to minimize a bust pick for him.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 04-07-2019 at 09:26 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m thinking our linebacker corps is red alert and we need to address it with our first pick in the draft.Giving Colbert the best chance to hit on that position. Trying to minimize a bust pick for him.
    If your goal is to minimize the chance of a bust pick, you don't pigeon-hole yourself into only considering one position for your first round pick.

That is how team's end up reaching for a player, making a bust pick more likely.

Just take the best player available at a position of need.

If that's an inside backer, great. If it's an edge rusher, great. If it's a corner, great. If it's a tight end, great.

You are drafting the player, not the position. Study all aspects of the man...his stats, his game tape, his athletic traits, his demeanor, his football IQ, his work ethic, his love of the game...all of it.

Don't pass on a potentially great player at another position just because you are hell-bent on getting a LB in round 1.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    You'll never have the dream roster . . . When we did we were picked to go all the way several seasons only to end up embarrassed ...

Having said this it's not a bad list but I do agree. Connor can't go unchallenged. He's the guy this yr but it'll be nice having someone pushing him.
    I don't think Conner will go unchallenged. I think Samuels will play a significant role because of his jack knife skill set. But depth behind those two is a concern.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

It went flashing red the minute Shazier got hurt. He covered up so many deficiencies on the part the part of Vince Williams. However, if we can't get White or Bush with minimal draft picks trade aways then we have to find another way. Keep in mind that neither White or Bush come without questions and IMO neither is as good as Shazier was coming out. Do we really want to lose 2-3 additional picks to get a player who is less than Shazier was? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure the front office does.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It went flashing red the minute Shazier got hurt. He covered up so many deficiencies on the part the part of Vince Williams. However, if we can't get White or Bush with minimal draft picks trade aways then we have to find another way. Keep in mind that neither White or Bush come without questions and IMO neither is as good as Shazier was coming out. Do we really want to lose 2-3 additional picks to get a player who is less than Shazier was? I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure the front office does.
    True.....

But I think Bush falls to us at # 20. I see 4 QB's and two WR going before our pick. But if Bush isn't there, there are other options later in the draft that I like. One being Germaine Pratt. Pratt has what we want physically at that position and is a great athlete as well.

Germaine Pratt | LB | North Carolina State
    Height | 6-3

Weight | 240

Class | Senior

College Bio

Career Stats

The heart and soul in North Carolina State’s 4-2-5 scheme, Pratt made the transition from safety to linebacker in 2018. He led the Wolfpack in tackles as a senior with 105, but also finished No. 1 in the ACC with 9.5 tackles per game.

Pratt has the size you’d like in a modern-day linebacker at 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds. He jumps off the screen with his sideline-to-sideline speed and twitchy movement skills. His plus ability as a blitzer, run defender and skills as a former safety show up in coverage. There are areas that he will need to work on including cleaning up his overaggressive nature with his play style and take-on skills as a blocker.

Pratt already carries himself well on the field, possessing the leadership role teams covet. Although not elite in any one area on the field, he is very well-rounded with the scheme-diverse skill-set.

Overall, Pratt best projects as an outside linebacker who has the size, movement skills and physical mindset, who wins working sideline-to-sideline to defend the run, and has the speed to cover skill players.

Current Projection: 3rd Round
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 04-08-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dare I dream of Bush in the 1st round and Pratt in the third??

Legend

User Info Menu

Dare I dream of Bush in the 1st round and Pratt in the third??
    Sure...with Devin Bush, Germaine Pratt, Mark Barron, Vince Williams, and Jon Bostic on the roster, we can create a revolutionary new defense featuring 5 ILB on the field at the same time.

Use 2 of our top 3 picks on the same position...after all, we don't also need a corner, a safety, an edge rusher, D-line depth, O-line depth, WR, TE, and RB.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Like it or not, Tuitt is committed. He is signed through 2022. If the Steelers draft a DE high, the target is Heyward. Heyward is signed through 2020 and there is a $9.5M savings if cut next year. Tuitt incurs a net loss similar to Brown, and until he starts Instagramming his workout whines he ain't going anywhere soon.

Bud is a replacement target because he isn't signed in 2020. Even if he has a breakout 2019, there is no assurance that he stays. I agree with another poster who said that he is not as bad as he often comes off, but he can certainly be upgraded.

Same goes for Davis. He has been decent, and also been moved around. He has looked good, he has looked bad. Bottom line, he isn't signed next season and he can be upgraded.

If a CB is drafted high, I would think that the goal is for him to replace Haden in 2020. He is 29 and in the last year of his contract. He was still good last year, but IMO gave up more big plays than he did in 2017. This year he is another year older at a cap hit of $12M. Where will he be next year when he is 30? You have to think that once age catches up you have to be prepared.

Vince is Vince. If you are looking at replacing him you probably want a Shazier "read and react" type of human missile. Unfortunately, it does not look like there is a plug and play guy who fits that mold outisde of the top 10-15. The other alternative is you draft a project like David Long and hope he develops into that kind of replacement.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like David Long as an option to learn behind Mark Barron and be a special teams demon in the mean time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Right now we are in better position moving forward at ILB vs OLB.
    Dupree is gone after this yr. ... next yr we will have BARRON and Williams on the roster and only TJ WATT. Unless the team really thinks #92 is legit I think we need OLB and Safety over ILB at this point.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!