Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Switzer: “I was in a bad place mentally

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Can’t be. Neither are good leaders haven’t you been paying attention .

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope Switzer doesn’t retire if we release him. I know he feels like he let his wife down but as long as he gets picked up by a team he is making more money than 90% of Americans.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Switzer cools down Steelers minicamp with ice cream truck

Jun 12, 2019

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- After catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger during Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp, Ryan Switzer beat soft-serve coverage in the parking lot of the team facility.

Switzer treated players and employees to Bruster's Ice Cream after Wednesday's practice. The Bruster's truck pulled up shortly after practice and quickly drew a crowd.

Switzer said he's a big fan of Bruster's, an ice cream chain headquartered in Bridgewater, Pennsylvania, so he figured give the company some love.

"Plus the guys like it," he said.

Switzer has hired the truck for appearances multiple times since joining the team via trade from the Dallas Cowboys in August.

Several players have said this year's Steelers are "team-oriented," and this gesture only helps.

Switzer plays multiple roles for the Steelers, having caught 36 passes for 253 yards and one touchdown last season along with six rushes for 21 yards, and 859 yards in kick and punt returns.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30879/ryan-switzer-cools-down-steelers-minicamp-with-ice-cream-truck
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now that’s how you stay on a team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I hope Switzer doesn’t retire if we release him. I know he feels like he let his wife down but as long as he gets picked up by a team he is making more money than 90% of Americans.
    I think we keep Switzer over Eli... And maybe both.

I think it's probably something like: Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer,... then Rogers or Spencer (I think Rogers)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think we keep Switzer over Eli... And maybe both.

I think it's probably something like: Juju, Moncrief, Washington, Johnson, Switzer,... then Rogers or Spencer (I think Rogers)
    Not sure. Depends on if Johnson shows something as a returner.

I think Eli is the better WR with a bigger target for Ben.

While Switzer was pretty reliable as a punt returner he wasn’t a threat and his YAC was pretty unimpressive.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it means anything, Switzer was at Ben's youth camp on Sunday. Johnson was there too. From what we saw last year, it looked like Switzer was becoming one of Ben's favorite targets. And Ben spoke highly of him on Sunday.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I made a bold prediction to Armpit Jr. on Sunday... Ryan Switzer, Super Bowl 54 MVP. Mark it down

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    If it means anything, Switzer was at Ben's youth camp on Sunday. Johnson was there too. From what we saw last year, it looked like Switzer was becoming one of Ben's favorite targets. And Ben spoke highly of him on Sunday.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I made a bold prediction to Armpit Jr. on Sunday... Ryan Switzer, Super Bowl 54 MVP. Mark it down
    I love it!! Switzer MVP! Speak it into reality.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Switzer working to perfect role as slot receiver for Steelers

JONATHAN BOMBULIE | Monday, July 15, 2019

Last season ended with New England’s Julian Edelman carrying his Super Bowl MVP trophy to Disney World.

When free agency opened, teams were quick to sign players such as Golden Tate, Adam Humphries, Jamison Crowder and Danny Amendola to lucrative, multi-year contracts.

The evidence has piled up for years. The case is closed. The NFL is in the midst of a golden age of slot receivers.

A movement that was the brainchild of Al Davis with the Oakland Raiders in the 1960s and was popularized by players such as Wes Welker and Troy Brown with Tom Brady’s Patriots in more recent years shows no signs of slowing down.

“They’re getting paid now more than they ever have, I guess,” Pittsburgh Steelers slot receiver Ryan Switzer said with a laugh. “I think Wes kind of jump-started it. People saw the things he was doing on the field. They saw how quarterback friendly he was, and since then, there’s just been a plethora of guys who have come in.”

The Steelers, meanwhile, are in the middle of a transition year in the slot.

While Switzer and Eli Rogers generally are pigeonholed as slot receivers in the Steelers offense because they fit the stereotype better – smaller and quicker with good hands – Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster routinely lined up there last season. Only three NFL receivers ran more routes from the slot than Smith-Schuster a season ago, and Brown caught 33 balls on 44 targets when he was deployed there.

With Brown off to Oakland, it stands to reason Smith-Schuster will run more routes outside the numbers, leaving reps in the slot up for grabs. Wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said that characterization might be an oversimplification of the Steelers offense, however.

He said Smith-Schuster, Switzer, Rogers, third-round pick Diontae Johnson and free-agent acquisition Donte Moncrief will play in the slot.

“The slot position is an accumulation of where we want to put a guy, what we feel like a guy can do, whether a guy can get open off a linebacker or work off a nickel,” Drake said. “With our offense, it’s so interchangeable.”

However the reps are handed out, Switzer is volunteering for duty.

The 5-foot-8, 185-pound West Virginia native entering his third NFL season has dedicated himself to perfecting the slot receiver’s craft.

“It takes a different kind of guy to work the middle of the field, be able to be on the same page as the quarterback,” Switzer said. “There’s a lot of different reads and a lot of different adjustments you’ve got to make in the middle of the field. I’m getting the hang of it. I’m, obviously, not there yet, but I’m working on it.”

Switzer said playing in the slot requires receivers to study film, know coverages, make correct reads before and after the snap and trust their instincts. Experience helps.

“The more reps that you get, the more game experience you get, the better the feel and the better you get,” Switzer said. “It helps when you’ve got a quarterback who’s done it for a long time and has a lot of experience in that area. He’s kind of molded me as the year went on. I’m learning from those experiences. Hopefully, we’ll put them to the test this year.”

Playing in the slot also requires courage.

Defensive backs might not try to decapitate receivers coming over the middle like they once did, but it still is a dangerous part of the field to play. The concussion Switzer suffered on a hit by San Diego linebacker Jatavis Brown in December is proof positive of that.

“Obviously, the rules have changed, but the rules have changed more so for after (the fact),” Switzer said. “Just because the rule changed last year didn’t take away from the fact that I had a concussion. They may have got fined or something like that, but the hit still happened.”

https://triblive.com/sports/ryan-swi...-for-steelers/

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Switzer wants to own slot receiver role for Steelers

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 17, 2019, 12:39 AM EDT

The last time Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown played a full season together in Pittsburgh in 2017, they combined for 3,479 yards from scrimmage and 18 touchdowns for the Steelers. Brown then 1,297 yards and 15 touchdowns by himself last year with Bell in a season-long hold out.

Now both are gone and the Steelers will have to find a way to replicate that production in their absence.

Ryan Switzer wants to step up and take command of the slot receiver as the Steelers offense looks to retool itself in 2019. The key to doing so is taking his chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger to the next level.

“It takes a different kind of guy to work the middle of the field, be able to be on the same page as the quarterback,” Switzer said, via Jonathan Bombulie of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “There’s a lot of different reads and a lot of different adjustments you’ve got to make in the middle of the field. I’m getting the hang of it. I’m, obviously, not there yet, but I’m working on it.”

Switzer is about to enter his third season in the NFL and second with Pittsburgh. The former fourth-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2017 was traded to the Oakland Raiders in April and the Steelers in August. Switzer managed to carve out a more regular role with the Steelers offense than he had in his rookie season in Dallas. Switzer caught 36 passes for 253 yards and a touchdown last year for Pittsburgh.

Switzer had to get up to speed with Roethlisberger and the Steelers offense in short order after being traded at the end of training camp. Now in year two with Pittsburgh, Switzer feels better prepared to take on a bigger role.

“The more reps that you get, the more game experience you get, the better the feel and the better you get,” Switzer said. “It helps when you’ve got a quarterback who’s done it for a long time and has a lot of experience in that area. He’s kind of molded me as the year went on. I’m learning from those experiences. Hopefully, we’ll put them to the test this year.”

However, Switzer isn’t the only receiver that will got a shot at the role in Pittsburgh. JuJu Smith-Schuster and Donte Moncrief will still see time lining up inside at times and Eli Rogers and rookie Diontae Johnson will get turns inside as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/17/ryan-switzer-wants-to-own-slot-receiver-role-for-steelers/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.