Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Switzer: I was in a bad place mentally

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What kind of place will Switz be in mentally if he gets beat out by the likes of Eli Rogers and/or Diontae Spencer?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What kind of place will Switz be in mentally if he gets beat out by the likes of Eli Rogers and/or Diontae Spencer?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

How close are Ryan Switzer and Ben Roethlisberger? Close enough for Patriots comparisons

BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    AUG 5, 2019

Like the rest of the country, Ryan Switzer was watching Super Bowl LII, with New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman catching pass after pass from Tom Brady on his way to MVP honors. What separated him from more than 98 million other Americans is that Switzer was on the receiving end of a text message from Ben Roethlisberger:

Why can't we do this?

Boy, if that doesnt raise the bar for the 5-foot-8, 178-pound Switzer in his second season and first training camp with the Steelers.

Switzer looks enough like Edelman (5-10, 200) and figures to play the same position in Pittsburgh, a small but shifty safety valve working out of the slot. The Steelers traded for him late last August, sending a fifth-round pick back to the Oakland Raiders. North Carolinas all-time leader in catches and receiving yards figured out his new system quickly enough to grab 36 of 44 targets for 253 yards and a touchdown, and with Antonio Brown gone, JuJu Smith-Schuster is the only Steelers receiver who was more productive last year in Pittsburgh.

I just think hes got the abilities to do that, Roethlisberger said of his lofty challenge on Super Bowl Sunday. I mean, thats high praise, because Edelmans a really good receiver. Obviously, hes been doing it for a while and everything, but I believe [Switzer] can do that, too.

At team headquarters on the South Side and at Saint Vincent College for camp, Switzer walks around like a mayor who looks like he could be an intern. Naturally, hes easy to miss from a size perspective, but his personality doesn't just blend in. It stands out.

Switzer never fails to greet or thank anyone, from the field to the cafeteria, an embodiment of that treat the janitor with the same respect as the CEO quote. He calls reporters by name, asks team photographers about their puppies and is a go-to guy for community outreach. Three times since January, he has bought dessert for anyone working at the Steelers facility, in the form of an ice cream truck pulling up to UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

I don't know, man, I just enjoy life. You try to live every day like its your last, Switzer said. I know thats cliche, but the older Ive gotten Im still 24 years old, but I feel like Im maturing and kind of understanding that theres really all a deeper meaning to this than just football. I appreciate the relationship aspect of what this game gives us the guys, the friends that Ive met so I just try to bring that and stress that upon them.

But dont just think of Switzer as a teachers pet in the receiving corps. In practice, his footwork and short-area quickness is always a problem for the opposing defensive back. As he continues to try to build a rapport with Roethlisberger, the Steelers see a path for utilizing his shiftiness and his burst all over the field, mostly inside but occasionally even in the backfield again this season in addition to return duties.

If you watch one-on-ones hes been consistent as anyone, said offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner. Great separation for the ball to be thrown to him. You just love the talent, but more so its his whole makeup that makes him so special.

Fichtner sees the affable, yes-sir-no-sir Switzer off the field, and says its not an act. Roethlisberger calls him just a good dude [with] a good heart whos easy to root for, making sure to add that hes also a good player.

Hes wired that way, Fichtner said. The team feels that, too. Ben feels it. Hes just a really fun guy to be around.

Hell sit for two reps, let a young guy get a rep, and if a young guy wins on something, he says, Man, thats a good job, then its his turn. Hes the kind of guy who should be here.

Even in a competition among a receiver room that includes the clear-cut No. 1, a veteran free-agent signing, a third-round rookie and a similar player in Eli Rogers, Switzer claims hes not concerning himself with the numbers game. He insists thats not why he hurt his quad Wednesday, had an MRI in the morning Thursday, then stunned Fichtner by being a full participant in practice that afternoon.

The play-caller had seen Switzer do that before, but Thursday he told Roethlisberger he didnt think Switzer would be available that day, so Diontae Johnson would take his place in a certain personnel grouping. Next thing he knew, the rookie was walking into the huddle and there was No. 10, so Fichtner heard it from No. 7: What are you talking about, Randy? Switz is going.

Its a competition, but at the end of the day, theres a balance, you know? I feel like it wouldnt be the human in you if you weren't excited for someone elses success, Switzer said. I believe in good karma. I believe if youre excited for someone else, good things happen to you.

Of course, it helps to have the quarterbacks blessing, too. Switzer is working on that. Not only was he part of the group of skill players who visited Roethlisbergers lake house in May, but Switzer and his wife, Gabie, accepted an invitation to have dinner at the Roethlisberger home over the summer.

It was to learn more about each other as people, given that Switzer was a late addition last summer, but didnt hurt from a football standpoint, either.

I think weve got a good relationship, good rapport, Roethlisberger said. You kind of have to with that inside receiver; its a little different. Youve got to understand body languages, youve got to understand looks and feel and things like that. Its probably the same thing Brady and Edelman have.

You have to know those things, so you have to develop relationships and rapports with those guys. And they have to want it as much as I do, and he does.

In the 2018 Steelers team picture, if you look at the front row, theres Switzer, hands on his knees, sitting right next to Roethlisberger. It was taken less than three weeks after Switzer got to Pittsburgh last season, but he and Roethlisberger have only grown closer since, so might as well try to stay close to the quarterback again this year.

That was kind of unscripted, Switzer said with a laugh, but thats not a bad idea.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...er_PGSportsNow

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only thing that Switzer has in common with Edleman is that they are both white.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The only thing that Switzer has in common with Edleman is that they are both white.
    I personally believe Switzer has the skill set to be a special slot WR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree Shawn. He’s got the ability and skills. Senior year at UNC he set their single season record with 96 receptions for 1,112 yards and 6 TDs. He left UNC as the career record holder in both receptions (243) & receiving yards (2,903).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I personally believe Switzer has the skill set to be a special slot WR.
    I agree. He is quick and has great hands

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Basically. Until he turns it upfield and gets a better YAC he is just a slippery east west guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Switzer will need all of his A game because Rogers has been very good at camp both as a receiver and returner and the new kid on the block, Spencer, is impressive as a route runner n explosive 4.33 speed. Now Spencer has had a few ball hit his pads n that has got to be cleaned up but he is not far behind.