Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger Nixing His Radio Show

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I heard Manning throw his OL under the bus after a loss. But he's Manning, so no big deal.

I've seen Brady fiercely berate teammates on the sideline during games. I don't know how that's so much different from berating them in the media; after all, everyone can see what he is doing. But he's Brady, so no big deal.

Ben routinely assumes the blame after losses, but then, after one game, he calls out a couple of teammates. Should he have done it in public? No. But it's not hard to see that Ben is being held to a different standard.
    This place has always pointed to Manning’s comment after that game. He said “we had protection issues”

He didn’t say “Saturday missed a block” or “Johnson got beat”

It’s no different than our captain on D saying we had “coverage issues” when we get torched.

That’s not the same as saying a guys name on air and what he did wrong.

I have no problem with sideline arguments and dust ups. That’s part of the game. I would prefer it happen during the game than passive aggressively calling someone out on a show by name where they can’t defend themselves.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's the thing ... when those other QBs are ripping teammates on the sidelines during games, why isn't it considered "public"? After all, everyone watching the TV coverage can see what they are doing. It's not exactly private.

Because we can’t hear their words.

I remember Bryant in Dallas getting ripped for his sideline outburst then they played the audio and he was trying to hype his team up.

I’ve also seen Ben appear to tell a WR they ran the wrong route during a game. I have no issue with that.

In game adjustments and corrections are always a good thing.

On a radio show? Nothing good can come from it IMO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    That's my whole point...he's held to a different, unfair standard.

No he isn’t. Show me one time where people were upset when Ben gestures for a WR to run a better route during a game right after an incompletion.

Show me one time where fans or media were upset with Ben for running up to a WR to tell them they messed up during a game?

It doesn’t happen.

The problem is when he goes on the radio or tells the media a player didn’t do something the right way. When our players go to the media or post on Twitter that’s when we get upset with them.

...and I always thought it was silly to point out Haley screaming **** up to a player or AB tossing a jug. That’s just sideline frustration that should be shrugged as passion for the game.

Hell, didn’t Buddy Ryan and another coach almost go to blows?

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's the thing ... when those other QBs are ripping teammates on the sidelines during games, why isn't it considered "public"? After all, everyone watching the TV coverage can see what they are doing. It's not exactly private.
    The difference is there are no words associated with the video. If you listen to the post game after such a blowup he keeps it pretty much to himself (and the player). This is how Roethlisberger should go about it.

I am suspicious that Roethlisberger's comments after that game were the buildup from multiple lesser transgressions by AB. The QB has a threshold as well for ABs antics.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    No he isn’t. Show me one time where people were upset when Ben gestures for a WR to run a better route during a game right after an incompletion.

Show me one time where fans or media were upset with Ben for running up to a WR to tell them they messed up during a game?

It doesn’t happen.

The problem is when he goes on the radio or tells the media a player didn’t do something the right way. When our players go to the media or post on Twitter that’s when we get upset with them.

...and I always thought it was silly to point out Haley screaming **** up to a player or AB tossing a jug. That’s just sideline frustration that should be shrugged as passion for the game.

Hell, didn’t Buddy Ryan and another coach almost go to blows?
    He is held to unfair standard. We had a bum runningback from the past come out last week and say that Ben fumbled on purpose in a game situation and the media ran with that like it was gospel. And it was a top story everywhere.

Where is this being done anywhere to any other QB other then Ben?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I am suspicious that Roethlisberger's comments after that game were the buildup from multiple lesser transgressions by AB. The QB has a threshold as well for ABs antics.
    I'm SURE of it. AB had been goading Ben all season to piss him off to the point of creating an issue. AB orchestrated the whole thing with his idiot agent calling all the shots. The whole thing worked completely to perfection.

I'm convinced that AB and his agent planned the outcome of AB's contract, well before week 16. I wouldn't even be surprised if the furniture throwing and speeding ticket were part of a plan to make the Steelers want to trade AB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bummer. I liked to listen to the show.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I totally agree. But most think it was just a one time occurrence. AB free lancing like a champ has been known.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben should have kept the show, it was entertaining and it was interesting to get inside the huddle so to speak. AB is gone, Bell is gone, Ben is still here, imo, now he looks like he's kowtowing to the media and fans, it's a worse look than just owning a negative comment about diva WR that is no longer a part of the team. The fans are the losers in this decision. Public, private or sideline, it doesn't matter, disagreements are going to occur during a season, especially one that had such promise 3/4 of the way through, there was frustration to be had everywhere and on that particular fateful day in Denver, Ben was the biggest culprit but that isn't a reason to stop doing a radio show for the fans.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ben should have kept the show, it was entertaining and it was interesting to get inside the huddle so to speak. AB is gone, Bell is gone, Ben is still here, imo, now he looks like he's kowtowing to the media and fans, it's a worse look than just owning a negative comment about diva WR that is no longer a part of the team. The fans are the losers in this decision. Public, private or sideline, it doesn't matter, disagreements are going to occur during a season, especially one that had such promise 3/4 of the way through, there was frustration to be had everywhere and on that particular fateful day in Denver, Ben was the biggest culprit but that isn't a reason to stop doing a radio show for the fans.

Pappy
    yeah..you've got a point. Does look like he's cowing down.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN