Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger Nixing His Radio Show

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger Nixing His Radio Show

https://fansided.com/2019/03/30/ben-...urgh-steelers/

It has been a tumultuous offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but Ben Roethlisberger appears willing to bridge the gap with his teammates.
    Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will head into arguably the most difficult season of his career, as his top wide receiver, Antonio Brown, forced his way out of town after a highly-publicized dispute with management. Roethlisberger’s leeway with criticizing teammates – and Brown’s own issues working with the veteran quarterback – played a huge role in the NFL’s most decorated wide receiver fighting for a trade out of Pittsburgh.

Criticisms of Roethlisberger’s leadership, fanned by the flames of mis-placed words made by general manager Kevin Colbert, grew as a result of this saga. Perhaps in an effort to make peace with his teammates and show the fans that he’s serious about being the most supportive teammate possible, Roethlisberger is reportedly willing to end his weekly radio show.

According to Matt Verderame of FanSided, Roethlisberger is expected to give up his weekly radio show in Pittsburgh prior to the 2019 season. A team spokesman was unaware of the decision, but two sources have strongly indicated the move is expected to take place

Roethlisberger’s radio show, which airs every Tuesday during the season on 93.7 The Fan, drew plenty of heat this offseason, as some were upset that the quarterback could critique his teammates on a public forum. However, Roethlisberger, who is 37 years old and has quarterbacked two Super Bowl-winning teams, asserted that he has every right to do this. Again, his general manager did not dispute this either.

Mounting pressure and the loss of important pieces around him may have caused Roethlisberger to change his mind. Roethlisberger once caught heat for subtly knocking backup quarterback Mason Rudolph after he was drafted, so it would be a strong gesture for him to step down from his radio show. He likes to speak his mind, but as a quarterback who has been successful in this league for many years, his words carry plenty of weight and are bound to be picked apart.

This can minimize one distraction from the Steelers, because with young players set to step up and a critical season ahead for people like head coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers can ill-afford anything that could create the slightest bit of controversy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good move by Ben.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Now this is a great move!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

His most (in)famous criticism, when he said AB should have run a better route in the Denver game, was that made by Ben during his radio show, or in an interview shortly after the game?

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, but so what??? It was the truth and every QB criticizes their WR's when they run a wrong route. I don't believe that this is what sent AB over the top. AB was bitching , moaning and complaining when Juju was voted a captain and when juju was featured down the line. When he saw juju asserting himself, he then thought his big money contract days were coming to an end because of juju so thats why he did what he did.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Yeah, but so what??? It was the truth and every QB criticizes their WR's when they run a wrong route. I don't believe that this is what sent AB over the top. AB was bitching , moaning and complaining when Juju was voted a captain and when juju was featured down the line. When he saw juju asserting himself, he then thought his big money contract days were coming to an end because of juju so thats why he did what he did.
    Maniac, I think you're right that AB's actions weren't really so much because of any displeasure he may have had with Ben's criticisms ... I think his stunts were a little driven by jealousy and a lot driven by wanting more money.

While I've said before that I'm not crazy about Ben calling out teammates in the media, the point I was trying to make with my question is that just because Ben has cancelled his radio show, it doesn't prevent him from criticizing teammates in public. He could theoretically do even more of that despite not having a weekly show.

If I were Ben, I would probably not give the media much besides a "no comment" for the entire coming season.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-31-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If I were Ben, I would probably not give the media much besides a "no comment" for the entire coming season.
    Or take the Mike Tomlin course in speaking a lot of words without actually saying anything that is particularly revealing.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Or take the Mike Tomlin course in speaking a lot of words without actually saying anything that is particularly revealing.
    I think Ben is probably too forthright to be able to do that. He's better off saying nothing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    When did JuJu get voted Captain? Did I miss something?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    When did JuJu get voted Captain? Did I miss something?
    JuJu was voted team MVP, that's what set AB off.