Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers do not plan to vote for extending replay at next week's league meetings

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Coaches will still have the same number of challenges as they've had in previous years. They just have an option to challenge something else that they were not allowed to challenge before. It shouldn't alter game lengths one way or another one iota.
    I would prefer to get rid of replay all together.

But, I think that implementation of this will be fine as long as they continue to hold the line on not allowing replay to be used as a tool to look for penalties that weren't called.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could you imagine if the Steelers were on the wrong side of that blown Saints/Rams call? We’d all be screaming for this. I think it’s a good move. Let’s get the calls right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I would prefer to get rid of replay all together.

But, I think that implementation of this will be fine as long as they continue to hold the line on not allowing replay to be used as a tool to look for penalties that weren't called.
    Boom..little bit longer games.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Could you imagine if the Steelers were on the wrong side of that blown Saints/Rams call? We’d all be screaming for this. I think it’s a good move. Let’s get the calls right.
    Yeah; well it's definitely worth a try. Getting it right is the bottom line. Hopefully.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think that this new rule can't be used to examine calls that were not made.

If so it wouldn't have made any difference in the Saints / Rams game.

If they opened it up so you could challenge calls not made, you'd basically just hold onto your challenges for big plays. Because there's probably a holding on every play.

Edit: looks like I was wrong about challenging non calls? I think that allowing that is stupid.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-27-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

The non-called false start for the offensive tackle on the Chargers long TD pass was even more obvious. There were also 2-3 egregious PI against Haden vs. the Saints (a couple of defensive PI's that shouldn't have been called on Haden and an offensive PI that should have been called against Michael Thomas on Haden but wasn't). Both of those games were hugely impacted by blantant officiating blunders, and it turned out to be the difference in not making the playoffs last season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

If they opened it up so you could challenge calls not made, you'd basically just hold onto your challenges for big plays. Because there's probably a holding on every play.
    You can't challenge holding now. Just pass interference.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You can't challenge holding now. Just pass interference.
    That's better than what I thought.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The problem is the NFL will continue to get it wrong. I can see them finding PI’s on incomplete passes on 4th down to keep the Pats alive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

bleh, whatever. the problem is unless it's a blatant mistake - it still comes down to the judgement of the guy in New York. And we've seen already how many times Al Riveron gets it wrong. Sooner or later, someone has to make the call - and the later it goes the more the game slows down.

instead of boosting replay - i'd rather they thin out the rules book. less infractions to call means less mistakes and probably more exciting football. Mel Blount would approve......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!