Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Our Immediate Window Closed?

Administrator

User Info Menu

The immediate (as in next year) window is closed and locked down with bolts.

We don't have the talent. A good coach can make up for a little lack in talent with schemes and preparation. The problem is our best coach ran for the hills leaving us with rah rah coach cliche. He sucks at preparation and he definitely can't scheme.

We need more talent to carry the incompetent coaching staff. If you want to trade up, do it in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't do it in the 1st when it's so costly and we have so many holes.

Like I said in another thread, the time to do that was with Shazier, Bell and Brown on the roster. We were 1 CB and/or S away from a SB and this team squandered the opportunity.
    Last edited by steelz09; 03-21-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The immediate (as in next year) window is closed and locked down with bolts.

We don't have the talent. A good coach can make up for a little lack in talent with schemes and preparation. The problem is our best coach ran for the hills leaving us with rah rah coach cliche. He sucks at preparation and he definitely can't scheme.

We need more talent to carry the incompetent coaching staff. If you want to trade up, do it in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't do it in the 1st when it's so costly and we have so many holes.

Like I said in another thread, the time to do that was with Shazier, Bell and Brown on the roster. We were 1 CB and/or S away from a SB and this team squandered the opportunity.
    So pessimistic. I Disagree! We were in it last year, hell, we're in it every year, so we'll be right there again in 2019..... A few makeable FG's and we would've been in the playoffs and division champs.

Replacing AB with JuJu... I would be willing to bet JuJu ends up being a better WR than AB is or was. I think Eli Rogers will have a big year. Anyway, with the way the league is set up, we'll be right there as usual. OL is the best in NFL, even without Munch. Think positive thoughts.. We are the winningest team since 1970.. Think about that for a second. You too, Crash. Welcome back! lol
    Last edited by pfelix73; 03-21-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers don't have to replace AB's production, JuJu will do that, the Steelers need to replace JuJu's production, I don't think that receiver is on the team right now. Washington might be able to do it but he will have to make a big jump in order to do so.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

There is a misconception that the Steelers are worse next season than they were this season. This is based on losing AB and Bell.

It is a misconception, and here is why-

Start with the easy one, Bell. The Steelers already played without Bell last year. Connor proved to be a viable replacement. If the team can upgrade on Ridley, which they seemed interested in doing, then this unit actually upgrades from last season.

AB. Yes, he will be missed. And it’s too easy to just assume JuJu replicates AB. Moncrief is a solid replacement, no doubt. But he’s no AB. Hell, probably nobody is. This will be a downgraded position. Chadman does however wish to remind you of a time when the Steelers won many games and got great production from a one-trick pony called Mike Wallace. Instead of trying to replace AB’s ability, the offence could be just as effective with a dangerous deep threat. Is Moncrief that guy? Maybe. Or Washington. Or one of the multitude of fast, athletic draftable WR’s this season. It will be a downgrade on ability, no doubt, but productivity might not dip considerably.

ILB. Is Mark Barron better or worse than Bostic? Better or worse than Fort? Chadman says he’s better than both, or at least, of equal quality. If that alone is the case, this position upgrades. Add an additional draft pick...

CB. Is Nelson an upgrade on Sensabaugh. Pretty safe bet to say yes. This position upgrades.

TE. Right now, this is a downgrade after Jesse James left town. That said, it’s not a huge stretch to upgrade as James was a serviceable guy, not anywhere near a star.

OLB- worse for the offseason? No. Potential to upgrade in the draft? Yes.

Where, other than AB, is this team in a worse position than last season?
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    There is a misconception that the Steelers are worse next season than they were this season. This is based on losing AB and Bell.

Start with the easy one, Bell. The Steelers already played without Bell last year. Connor proved to be a viable replacement. If the team can upgrade on Ridley, which they seemed interested in doing, then this unit actually upgrades from last season.

AB. Yes, he will be missed. And its too easy to just assume JuJu replicates AB. Moncrief is a solid replacement, no doubt. But hes no AB. Hell, probably nobody is. This will be a downgraded position. Chadman does however wish to remind you of a time when the Steelers won many games and got great production from a one-trick pony called Mike Wallace. Instead of trying to replace ABs ability, the offence could be just as effective with a dangerous deep threat. Is Moncrief that guy? Maybe. Or Washington. Or one of the multitude of fast, athletic draftable WRs this season. It will be a downgrade on ability, no doubt, but productivity might not dip considerably.

ILB. Is Mark Barron better or worse than Bostic? Better or worse than Fort? Chadman says hes better than both, or at least, of equal quality. If that alone is the case, this position upgrades. Add an additional draft pick...

CB. Is Nelson an upgrade on Sensabaugh. Pretty safe bet to say yes. This position upgrades.

TE. Right now, this is a downgrade after Jesse James left town. That said, its not a huge stretch to upgrade as James was a serviceable guy, not anywhere near a star.

Nice assessment. We brought in 3 solid FAs that will start for us and do well. The biggest loss in my mind is Munchak. Gilbert was solid when healthy, but he was off the field most of the year anyways. With our FA acquisitions, we should be able to fill a few holes with top flight talent in the draft. I am hoping for a solid TE, WR and RB... among the defensive needs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, perhaps i should cancel Sunday Ticket if we are done for awhile....LMAO
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Losing idiots Brown and Bell doesn't concern me.

I'm only worried about the defense getting better. And I think it will improve. But will it be enough?

I think the offense can be plenty good enough with the talent we have there - Juju, Rogers, Washington, Moncrief, Conner, Vance. We won a superbowl with Hines Ward, Cedric Wilson and Randel El as receivers with Willie Parker at RB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

AB. Yes, he will be missed. And it’s too easy to just assume JuJu replicates AB. Moncrief is a solid replacement, no doubt. But he’s no AB. Hell, probably nobody is. This will be a downgraded position. Chadman does however wish to remind you of a time when the Steelers won many games and got great production from a one-trick pony called Mike Wallace. Instead of trying to replace AB’s ability, the offence could be just as effective with a dangerous deep threat. Is Moncrief that guy? Maybe. Or Washington. Or one of the multitude of fast, athletic draftable WR’s this season. It will be a downgrade on ability, no doubt, but productivity might not dip considerably.

ILB. Is Mark Barron better or worse than Bostic? Better or worse than Fort? Chadman says he’s better than both, or at least, of equal quality. If that alone is the case, this position upgrades. Add an additional draft pick...

TE. Right now, this is a downgrade after Jesse James left town. That said, it’s not a huge stretch to upgrade as James was a serviceable guy, not anywhere near a star.

I agree that we might be better than last year (especially if we get back to having above average FG kicking).

But, I think we'll be worse on paper than we were two years ago today. There's no way that losing Shazier, Bell, and AB over a year and a half didn't make the team worse. I don't think we'll have a better team than that one before Ben retires.

But we also don't kneed to be better than that year. Winning the SB is about having a good team, peaking at the right time, and getting some good bounces in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I agree that we might be better than last year (especially if we get back to having above average FG kicking).

But, I think we'll be worse on paper than we were two years ago today. There's no way that losing Shazier, Bell, and AB over a year and a half didn't make the team worse. I don't think we'll have a better team than that one before Ben retires.

But we also don't kneed to be better than that year. Winning the SB is about having a good team, peaking at the right time, and getting some good bounces in the playoffs.
    2 (see SB victory over Seahawks)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

Yup. A few lucky bounces can be the difference between the playoffs and a SB appearance or win.

On paper we won’t be better but maybe the D forced more TO’s which leads to more short fields.