Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Our Immediate Window Closed?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Our Immediate Window Closed?

Here's a quote from Steelz09 that got me to thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The time to trade up was a couple years ago when we had Shazier, Bell and Brown and only needed a DB or two to be a championship team. Those days are over.

We aren't a ILB away from a SB. ..not even close.

Believing in that is like believing in unicorns and tooth fairy.

Taking into account that Ben probably only has two/three years left, is our Super Bowl window closed? Or can we retool quickly and win one more in the next two years?
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

No. Hope that helps.
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think so. We were some bad calls and missed but makeable FG's away from making the playoffs last year and were the last team to beat the SB champs. We aren't that far off, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers decide to get back to a balanced offense instead of trying to feed their "stars" then the answer is No if the Defense can fill their voids.

Passing 65 - 35 doesn't win championships.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

no. i think we will be better than last year...and cancer free

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I keep hearing how the Steelers will now be without Brown and Bell. They were already without Bell. Brown is the only loss.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I keep hearing how the Steelers will now be without Brown and Bell. They were already without Bell. Brown is the only loss.
    This is fair.

I think that it will be harder to replace Brown's production than Bell's, but we'll see.

I think the problem with this year is that we're playing with one hand tied behind our back because we're still paying AB's cap hit. I guess it's partially offset by the increased cap we got from Bell not playing last year, but it's too bad we couldn't be using that cap hit and getting elite WR production.

I guess that you always have a shot when you have a top tier QB. Ben was still at that level last year and I think we'll have a shot as long as he's that good. That's the argument to keep Ben (the better argument IMO)

But, I think our chances of winning are less than they were at this time in 2017 because we're worse (on paper) on both O and D. That's the argument to trade Ben to give us a leg up on the rebuild (the lesser argument IMO)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is fair.

I think that it will be harder to replace Brown's production than Bell's, but we'll see.

I think the problem with this year is that we're playing with one hand tied behind our back because we're still paying AB's cap hit. I guess it's partially offset by the increased cap we got from Bell not playing last year, but it's too bad we couldn't be using that cap hit and getting elite WR production.

I guess that you always have a shot when you have a top tier QB. Ben was still at that level last year and I think we'll have a shot as long as he's that good. That's the argument to keep Ben (the better argument IMO)

But, I think our chances of winning are less than they were at this time in 2017 because we're worse (on paper) on both O and D. That's the argument to trade Ben to give us a leg up on the rebuild (the lesser argument IMO)
    We might be better off WITHOUT a superstar WR. We might start spreading the ball around more, and lean more on our running game. How many teams with the best WR in the league win Super Bowls? Answer, not many ... not for awhile, anyway.

If we can shore up some shaky positions on our D, and improve to above average on STs, we might do a lot better than most people are expecting.
    Final Pre-draft Mock
    (no trades)

(20) EDGE Monteaz Sweat, Mississippi St.
    (52): S/CB Juan Thornhill, Virginia
    (66): WR Miles Boykin, Notre Dame
    (83): ILB Germaine Pratt, North Carolina St.
    (122):RB Justice Hill, Oklahoma St.
    (141): TE Foster Moreau, LSU
    (175): DT Daylon Mack, Texas A&M
    (192): CB Corey Ballentine, Washburn
    (207): G Bunchy Stallings, Kentucky
    (219): ILB Khalil Hodge, Buffalo

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hmmm.. good question

I think we can still be in the talk of being SB contenders as long as Ben leads the way.

NE brady older
    the rest of afce sucks

The way the divisions are they are going to beating up on each other. We might have better record.
    Bengles will suck, Ravens iffy on O and their D had a lot of losses, Clev is the key..

SD will be same
    KC- Hill fiasco worst

Houston- watson gets more experience, their D is starting to become questionable
    Indy - is going to be good
    Titians - they should be steady good
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

We are doomed. Everything will go wrong. Should just plan to go on sabbatical for a few years