Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Hilton to follow Alejandro Villanueva plan; seeks long-term deal not ERFA tender

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hilton is our nickel corner. He covers the opponent's slot receiver. In today's NFL, we are in a nickel or dime package more often than we are in base defense, so he's a starter to me.
    Agreed, he certainly deserves more than $650k

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm all for Hilton getting a new contract.
    Rara's WAY TOO EARLY mock
    -------------------------------------------------
    Round 2- K'Lavon Chaisson, EDGE; LSU
    Round 3 (Bell comp?)- Walker Little OT; Stanford
    Round 4a- Marvin Wilson, DT; FSU
    Round 4b- Darnay Holmes, CB; UCLA
    Round 4c- Najee Harris, RB; Alabama
    Round 5a- Denzel Mims, WR; Baylor
    Round 5b- Trey Smith, OG; Tennessee
    Round 5c- Jordan Fuller, S; Ohio State
    Round 6- T.J. Basher, WR; Texas Tech
    Round 7- Noah Togiai, TE; Oregon State

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It wasn't that long ago that we were cycling through players like crazy to try to find someone who was decent in slot coverage.

I'd rather not go back to those days right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Saw a post on another site that said Hilton's agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Anyone know if that's true?
    Oh boy....
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Alejandro Villanueva on Mike Hilton: Betting on yourself usually works

Posted by Josh Alper on June 16, 2019, 2:11 PM EDT

Steelers cornerback Mike Hilton said recently that he’s not planning to skip any of training camp, but he also hasn’t budged from his stance of looking for a contract beyond the $645,000 he’d be due to make if he signed his exclusive rights free agent tender from the team.

Players in that position rarely wind up landing new deals, but Hilton doesn’t have to look far to find one that did. Steelers left tackle Alejandro Villanueva got a four-year, $24 million deal in 2017 when he refused to sign his ERFA tender. Villanueva continued to work out with the team and has spoken to Hilton about his situation this offseason.

The nature of those talks hasn’t been disclosed, but Villanueva said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, that “betting on yourself, in this business, usually works.”

“You don’t want to have a guy in the locker room who’s not happy with his contract, especially when he has the backing of his teammates,” Villanueva said. “He’s been about it the right way. He’s shown up every single day, not making it a big deal. For that, he gets a lot of respect from all of us.”

Hilton is an ERFA because he was a practice squad player in 2016 and did not accrue a season toward free agency. He has played in 31 games over the last two seasons as the top slot corner in Pittsburgh.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/16/alejandro-villanueva-on-mike-hilton-betting-on-yourself-usually-works/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Hilton said holdout “hasn’t even crossed my mind”

Posted by Charean Williams on June 13, 2019, 11:44 PM EDT

Mike Hilton is not under contract for 2019, having left his $645,000 exclusive-rights tender unsigned. That’s as far as his displeasure has gone.

The cornerback, the Steelers’ only player without a contract, showed up for all of the team’s offseason work. He promises to show up to training camp, too.

“That hasn’t even crossed my mind,” Hilton said of a holdout, via Joe Rutter of the Tribune-Review. “I’m here for the team. I’m going to be here and try to help the team win games.”

Left tackle Alejandro Villanueva used the same strategy in 2017, declining to sign his tender and getting a four-year, $24 million deal only hours after reporting to training camp. Hilton has discussed his contract situation with Villanueva.

“It worked out for [Villanueva] in the long run,” HIlton said. “We’ll see how it turns out in the next month or so. I’m doing all I can to be here and to show them I want to be here.”

Hilton, 25, became the starting slot cornerback in 2017 and has made three interceptions, 14 pass breakups, five sacks and 111 tackles in two seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/13/mike-hilton-said-holdout-hasnt-even-crossed-my-mind/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers at least have to respect Hilton's approach. I wonder if they are debating the value for a slot CB?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Always respect a player who bets on themselves.

He definitely plays well above his pay grade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers at least have to respect Hilton's approach. I wonder if they are debating the value for a slot CB?
    I think they are debating whether they have seen the best from Hilton and it won't get better. Both his INT and Sack totals went down from 2017 to 2018.

AV had the advantage of playing a premium position very well. Not sure Hilton has that same value.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think they are debating whether they have seen the best from Hilton and it won't get better. Both his INT and Sack totals went down from 2017 to 2018.

AV had the advantage of playing a premium position very well. Not sure Hilton has that same value.
    Could be the debate. But as someone pointed out, the Steelers have seen what lesser players have done in that position and it's been painful to watch.