Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vince Williams Restructured Contract

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post

Certain fans keep disrespecting Williams but he has very solid numbers in 2017 to 2018.
    164 total tackles; 12.5 sacks; 19 tfl; 24 QB hits

Fans want Mark Barron to play every down also?: also on the smallish side. His numbers from 2017 to 2018.
    145 total tackles; 2 sacks; 10 tfl; 3 QB hits

They needed to add talent to the roster at ILB but having a solid veteran like Williams to rush and get sacks and tfl should be a component.
    The Steelers led the
    league in sacks last year and I do think they are probably going to try to be up there again this year. Barron is not your
    sack guy. Bush got 3 sacks last year in college.

Should he be expected to get 4 or more sacks this year? I doubt he will get 10 or something extraordinary.

I think fans are foolish to want a two man rotation at ILB and to push "just a guy" completely to the bench.

VW is decent, but let's not say his tackle numbers are great. Darius Leonard had 163 tackles last year alone which is 1 less than Vince had in 2 seasons.

But his 2017 of 68 solo tackles, 8 Sacks, 14 QB Hits, 11 TFL is better than any season Larry Foote ever had and his play overall is sound and serviceable.

Let's start with upgrading some others first who aren't even adequate. Like Bud Dupree for example. As long as Bud is on the team and starting, there no need to mention we need to upgrade VW.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think you missed my point. If the Steelers had Darius Leonard, then Williams can sit in favor of Leonard. The Steeler have Devin Bush, Mark Barron, Tyler Matakevich and Vince Williams. I am not saying Williams is a NFL star or an all pro, my argument is that he is getting too much disrepect for this group and fans saying he should sit all year and play Barron and Bush exclusively is mindless.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Just a guy. does that imply you could go into the stands and point at a "guy" vending or sitting there and say hey "guy" suit up, want to
    play linebacker for the Steelers. We just have
    V Williams who is also just a "guy" so you could do just as well as him, I reckon.

I think some fans are just unable to see how a player like Williams is important because of their short-sighted thinking.

We are all hoping Devin Bush comes in a plays great, but he is a rookie after all, so there is a little bit of doubt as to how he will actually perform. He is speedy
    but not
    especially big and he is smart. But does everyone think he can come into the NFL and start all 16 games and play every down,
    even if he is looking pretty good? He is on
    the smallish side, and it is very possible and even likely, that he will
    get nicked up and start wearing down along the line.

Having a solid veteran like V Williams to share the load is really invaluable.

So lets see what the veterans linebackers on the Steelers have done the last two years.

Certain fans keep disrespecting Williams but he has very solid numbers in 2017 to 2018.
    164 total tackles; 12.5 sacks; 19 tfl; 24 QB hits

Fans want Mark Barron to play every down also?: also on the smallish side. His numbers from 2017 to 2018.
    145 total tackles; 2 sacks; 10 tfl; 3 QB hits

They needed to add talent to the roster at ILB but having a solid veteran like Williams to rush and get sacks and tfl should be a component.
    The Steelers led the
    league in sacks last year and I do think they are probably going to try to be up there again this year. Barron is not your
    sack guy. Bush got 3 sacks last year in college.

Should he be expected to get 4 or more sacks this year? I doubt he will get 10 or something extraordinary.

I think fans are foolish to want a two man rotation at ILB and to push "just a guy" completely to the bench.

Now this is a post that deserves a "BOOM"!!

You need guys like Vince Williams on the team if you want to win. You can't have a team of all superstars ... that doesn't work. In fact I think the steelers had 2 too many superstars on the team the last few years and it hurt them in many games.

Just think back and you might realize that even though Troy P. was a great player it was Ryan Clark who cleaned up when Troy missed on those "splash" plays. He saved the team many times by making a tackle downfield after Troy missed a big hit or didn't get the interception.

I don't think some fans realize how important chemistry is and how those solid players like VW add to it to help a team win. Sure, Vince isn't a superstar but I think the steelers love having a guy like him on the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Once upon a time, some Steeler fans treated Ramon Foster the same way Vince tends to be viewed now. Folks always wanting to supplant them with younger, more talented replacements. But they are glue guys with leadership qualities who are willing to play their role to help this team in any way possible. Solid team guys, but not necessarily the dynamic athletes that fans pay to see.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Now this is a post that deserves a "BOOM"!!

You need guys like Vince Williams on the team if you want to win. You can't have a team of all superstars ... that doesn't work. In fact I think the steelers had 2 too many superstars on the team the last few years and it hurt them in many games.

Just think back and you might realize that even though Troy P. was a great player it was Ryan Clark who cleaned up when Troy missed on those "splash" plays. He saved the team many times by making a tackle downfield after Troy missed a big hit or didn't get the interception.

I don't think some fans realize how important chemistry is and how those solid players like VW add to it to help a team win. Sure, Vince isn't a superstar but I think the steelers love having a guy like him on the team.
    That TroyP RyanC tandem was magic. Played so well complementing each other. Clark once commented how tough it was to get in sync at first. But he got to the point he knew what Troy would do on any given look by the offense.
    It's tougher now with players jumping teams so often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Once upon a time, some Steeler fans treated Ramon Foster the same way Vince tends to be viewed now. Folks always wanting to supplant them with younger, more talented replacements. But they are glue guys with leadership qualities who are willing to play their role to help this team in any way possible. Solid team guys, but not necessarily the dynamic athletes that fans pay to see.
    It's a weird dynamic where fans are overly critical on the guys that overachieve.

If Vince was a rotational 2 down LB, everyone would love him. But he overachieves and steps up as a leader doing more than anyone would reasonably expect, then we flame him for not being able to drop and cover a #1 WR because our DC likes to get cute and always seems to put VW in coverage against a guy the best ILB could never cover.

Foster would have been a great #6 lineman. People would have loved him coming in as an extra TE at the goal line. They would have loved that he could be serviceable at G or T and he'd probably be one of the most versatile backups that could fill in anywhere. But he worked his tail off and is a leader on the line and handles the silent count and is a big boy in the middle that can move people. But he's not quick like former LG Faneca and can't pull spectacularly. And he's actually improved in this area over time and I still think he's probably kinda playing out of position and is a better fit at T. It's kinda awkward that he's 6'6" ish and playing G. If his QB was Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, they'd probably have problems throwing over or around him. But whatever, to me he's one of the most consistent linemen on the team, but we judge him on what he can't do for whatever reason vs just appreciating what he can do.