Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben's contract?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben's contract?

As every day passes I wonder if Ben is playing hardball with his grandfathers?
    Did the Steelers look to low ball or get a Steelers friendly deal done?
    Did Colberts comments help father Ben get a top deal?
    Figured this would be all wrapped up by now. Are there any impending QB contracts coming that could hold up Ben's deal?

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's not put stuff in we have no proof of yet. Let's let it play out first. Your nervous thou; I get it. We all would have liked it done already too. Hang in there.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Omar Khan could probably write contracts for guys like Dan McCullers or Eli Rogers in his sleep, but franchise QB contracts are never simple. Always a ton of moving parts to deal with and work out. Especially since this should be Ben's last NFL contract. Patience, grasshopper.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

X
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Let's not put stuff in we have no proof of yet. Let's let it play out first. Your nervous thou; I get it. We all would have liked it done already too. Hang in there.
    Where should we put it then , this is a discussion board after all

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    X
    You should stick it in your pipe, and smoke it. Obviously.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He is in the top 15 QB's right about 13th at OTC. Bet he wants to be paid top 3-5.
    And I am saying he is playing hardball after his season and Colberts comments. But in my original posts wonder if anyone felt the same. Oh yea this should be his last contract for crying out loud!
    Now after thinking more about this, I now wonder why we all kind of figured this would be "easy" and "done already"!
    Might take awhile!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    X
    The irony in his post is hilarious.

Same dude who tells us what goes on behind closed door meetings now wants people to wait before posting.

Oh wow
    Last edited by Oh wow; 03-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    He is in the top 15 QB's right about 13th at OTC. Bet he wants to be paid top 3-5.
    And I am saying he is playing hardball after his season and Colberts comments. But in my original posts wonder if anyone felt the same. Oh yea this should be his last contract for crying out loud!
    Now after thinking more about this, I now wonder why we all kind of figured this would be "easy" and "done already"!
    Might take awhile!
    I hope he breaks the bank

Will be fun watching everyone blame every other contract besides the largest one as the reason we can’t field a decent defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope that it is all about structure. For example, say the idea is a 3 year, $75M contract. How can we do that and keep as much cap space available during those three years, while essentially guaranteeing it all gets paid out?

How about something along the lines of a five year, $125M deal with a $50M SB and salaries of $7M, $8M, $10M, $25M, $25M.

Year 1: $17M cap hit
    Year 2: $18M cap hit
    Year 3: $20M cap hit
    Year 4: $35M cap hit
    Year 5: $35M cap hit

However, since Ben won't be playing after three years, he is cut after June 1 of year 4 so a dead cap hit (deferred cap hit) of $10M in each of years 4 and 5. $55M over the first three years on a cap friendly deal. He won't be cut prior to year 4 as a third year cut accelerates $30M in dead cap dough.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I hope he breaks the bank

Will be fun watching everyone blame every other contract besides the largest one as the reason we can’t field a decent defense.
    I have never questioned your being a fan but statements like this challenge that belief.

I care only that the Steelers succeed not so much that fanboys get outed.

Hypothetical for you oh wow

What say conversely the Steelers say screw it let him go to FA after the contract, or let him retire or trade him?

What would you be saying about the Steelers blowing up and go into total rebuild mode.

Btw I do believe you are a fan but I think being right on this clouds many people's judgment.

I could be wrong though...

Brothervad