Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm sorry but Shazier wasn't a savior. Yes, he was the biggest play maker on D but let's not forget with him on the team, we still couldn't cover TEs and teams ran the ball right at him (i.e. the jaguars, cowboys etc)

A guy with his speed, you run at... You don't run to the perimeter. It's kinda a pick your poison scenario.
    This is very much true. We got mopped by the Jaguars the first time in Pittsburgh and Shazier was out there. People forget that. But its okay to have another guy like him as long as we have a few other LB's guys who are more stout against the run. VW wasn't stout and got ran over constantly when teams decided to focus in on their running game. Please see the Jags game in the playoffs on Fournette's 18 yard TD run (for example) on what I'm referring to.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The time to trade up was a couple years ago when we had Shazier, Bell and Brown and only needed a DB or two to be a championship team. Those days are over.

We aren't a ILB away from a SB. ..not even close.

Believing in that is like believing in unicorns and tooth fairy.
    That is the biggest piece missing. They tried to trade up last year for ILB & will do it again this. They learned from their failures & will dig deeper. Fortunately for us..We don't have to argue who's opinion makes more sense. The Draft will answer that.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    That hurt my eyes and mind trying to read all that. That's a lot of wheeling and dealing!
    Lol Its only 3 Trades but they have bullets this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

It helps to know well in advance that we have extra picks from the AB and Gilbert trades that we can use for potential ammunition to trade up and still have a full draft class overall.

Last year, we did not know that we'd have an extra 3rd round pick for Bryant until draft day itself. If I recall correctly, we didn't learn about that trade until round 1 was already half over, I believe.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They will try & trade up for White or Bush. They may already have feelers out. If they miss out & have to pick at 20 it will be BPA WR, TE, OLB. If they sign a vet OLB mark that off. I do not believe with Nelson signing a CB will cross their minds at 20.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    That is the biggest piece missing. They tried to trade up last year for ILB & will do it again this. They learned from their failures & will dig deeper. Fortunately for us..We don't have to argue who's opinion makes more sense. The Draft will answer that.
    Hey, don't look at it as an argument; I look at it as everybody just sharing their perspective. Everybody has a different lens and there is no right or wrong at this point. Everybody is trying to get to the same goal; each person may just have a different way of getting there.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    They will try & trade up for White or Bush. They may already have feelers out. If they miss out & have to pick at 20 it will be BPA WR, TE, OLB. If they sign a vet OLB mark that off. I do not believe with Nelson signing a CB will cross their minds at 20.
    I wish they'd get that trade up done right before the draft. So that way we don't leave the blockers (Ravens & Bengals) much time to figure out how to screw us.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The time to trade up was a couple years ago when we had Shazier, Bell and Brown and only needed a DB or two to be a championship team. Those days are over.

We aren't a ILB away from a SB. ..not even close.

Believing in that is like believing in unicorns and tooth fairy.
    Id rather fill our biggest need with one of the better players than settle for someone that we hope may develop into someone. Its all a crap shoot but Id trade up for White or Bush. I also think were a lot closer to a championship than people may think. Just my opinion....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I wish they'd get that trade up done right before the draft. So that way we don't leave the blockers (Ravens & Bengals) much time to figure out how to screw us.
    I have a sneaky suspicion conversations have taken place. What sucks about it is teams can follow bread crumbs too. So they may be countering.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think the Rams should have been in the super bowl but luck or something else had the refs get them there spot.
    The Steelers made it on a tackle by the QB and missed field goal once as a wild card team. Did anyone really say as that season started they were a super bowl team?
    49's and Dallas road a dynamic three to a few SB's. Both had good defense maybe even better then good defense.
    Brown and more so Bell just could not get it done in the playoffs. Neither could the defense. Not even close.
    This defense is better then 2016 or 2017 seasons.
    I hope for a even bigger step from 2018 to 2019. The offense might not be that 30 point offense. When was it really? But IMO on paper can still put up points and win games. A plus for me is the mentality that the superstar offense with Brown or Bell will pull out a win is gone! Better learn fast to win as a team.