Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 236

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

  1. #91
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Everyone here assumes that because Cincy and Baltimore lost Burfict and Mosley that they will both be itching to use their first pick on a replacement ILB. Yeah, that's a need for both teams now, but they each have other glaring needs as well.

    Cincy's OL sucks, so they could easily be targeting someone like Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, or Andre Dillard in round 1. It's also a very strong draft for d-line, so if one of the elite DL prospect falls out of the top 10, Cincy could pounce, since a few guys on their DL are starting to get up there in age. Top OL and DL prospects are more rare than top ILB prospects, so Cincy may not necessarily be Devin White or bust. Their new coach might not even be enamoured with Andy Dalton as much as Marvin Lewis, so they might even decide that their best bet at #11 could be Drew Lock from Mizzou or Daniel Jones from Duke.

    Baltimore literally has no outside receivers worth a damn. They have Willie Snead to be their slot receiver, but outside they have guys named Jordan Lasley, Quincy Adeboyejo, Chris Moore, and Jaleel Scott. Who? Exactly. I imagine that they'd be looking at D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, or Marquis Brown in the draft. Lamar Jackson runs the ball too much as it is, and if he has no outside weapons at all, their only choice would be to run the ball even more somehow. If they did trade up for defense, I imagine that they'd be more likely to be going for an edge rusher to replace Suggs moreso than an ILB to replace Mosley.
    This is also a strong and huge depth for wide receivers class, as well.
    2019 Steelers draft results
    -------------------------------------------
    Round 1- Devin Bush, ILB; Michigan
    Round 3a- Diontae Johnson, WR; Toledo
    Round 3b- Justin Layne, CB; Michigan State
    Round 4- Benny Snell Jr., RB; Kentucky
    Round 5- Zach Gentry, TE; Michigan
    Round 6a- Sutton Smith, OLB; Northern Illnois
    Round 6b- Isaiah Buggs, DT; Alabama
    Round 6c- Ulysses Gilbert III, ILB; Akron
    Round 7- Derwin Gray, OG; Maryland

  2. #92
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Mack Wilson did not do the 40, the 3 cone, the shuttle runs, the bench, etc. at the Combine. Alabama's Pro Day is today, so it will be interesting to see what testing he'll be doing today. So far, we only have Mack's jump numbers from Indy, and Bush did significantly better than Bush in both jumps. Bush jumped eight-and-a-half inches higher than Mack (32" vs. 40.5" in the vertical) and seven inches further (117" vs. 124" in the broad). That's substantially better. I really want to see Mack's 3-cone and shuttle runs.
    He ran a 4.78 40, I believe. Not as good as the Devins..but good for Wilson. That's Vince Williams' speed in comparison.
    2019 Steelers draft results
    -------------------------------------------
    Round 1- Devin Bush, ILB; Michigan
    Round 3a- Diontae Johnson, WR; Toledo
    Round 3b- Justin Layne, CB; Michigan State
    Round 4- Benny Snell Jr., RB; Kentucky
    Round 5- Zach Gentry, TE; Michigan
    Round 6a- Sutton Smith, OLB; Northern Illnois
    Round 6b- Isaiah Buggs, DT; Alabama
    Round 6c- Ulysses Gilbert III, ILB; Akron
    Round 7- Derwin Gray, OG; Maryland

  3. #93
    Benchwarmer

    User Info Menu

    4.65 on his second 40. He'll be a pretty good linebacker, maybe an improved Larry Foote. But Bush and White are in another tier above.
    Believe In Now

  4. #94
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Sager View Post
    4.65 on his second 40. He'll be a pretty good linebacker, maybe an improved Larry Foote. But Bush and White are in another tier above.
    I always liked Foote, but he was who he was. He was a steady reliable guy when playing beside some stud linebackers. He was a guy who would make the tackle but not the guy who was going to create the play. He was Vince Williams. Unfortunately we already have two of those guys. If Wilson truly is a Larry Foote then I'll take a pass early in the draft.

  5. #95
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I always liked Foote, but he was who he was. He was a steady reliable guy when playing beside some stud linebackers. He was a guy who would make the tackle but not the guy who was going to create the play. He was Vince Williams. Unfortunately we already have two of those guys. If Wilson truly is a Larry Foote then I'll take a pass early in the draft.
    I'm fond of Vince, but Larry Foote was a cut above Vince, IMO.

  6. #96
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Go to YouTube & watch White vs Alabama 2018 & Bush versus Ohio State 2018. Probably two of the weaker games for both but Top comp.
    It is a strong gauge for translation playing Top Comp & seeing how they play through their struggles.

    You will see White is a little more stout between the tackles but I would liked to have see him play more downhill against Bama. Bush plays better in space. You see him all over the field. They asked him to do a lot. Bush is better in coverage imo. He gets beat on a wheel route because he guessed but I like him better for the price. He's more Shazier then white. White more Timmons.

    Both quality players. I would take either. But if you are telling me I have to give up two ones for White vs a 1 & 2 for Bush...I'll take Bush. If I can get either similar for a 1 & 2..I'll take White. I'll maintain they are graded 5 spots apart. I thought White low #10 & Bush low #15. That would be a trade up of 2 & 3 respectively. More I watch I believe it could be low #5 for White & low #10 for Bush. White will cost next years 1+ from 20. Bush may cost this years 2 +. I'll take Bush.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-20-2019 at 08:39 AM.

  7. #97
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Go to YouTube & watch White vs Alabama 2018 & Bush versus Ohio State 2018. Probably two of the weaker games for both but Top comp.
    It is a strong gauge for translation playing Top Comp & seeing how they play through their struggles.

    You will see White is a little more stout between the tackles but I would liked to have see him play more downhill against Bama. Bush plays better in space. You see him all over the field. They asked him to do a lot. Bush is better in coverage imo. He gets beat on a wheel route because he guessed but I like him better for the price. He's more Shazier then white. White more Timmons.

    Both quality players. I would take either. But if you are telling me I have to give up two ones for White vs a 1 & 2 for Bush...I'll take Bush. If I can get either similar for a 1 & 2..I'll take White. I'll maintain they are graded 5 spots apart. I thought White low #10 & Bush low #15. That would be a trade up of 2 & 3 respectively. More I watch I believe it could be low #5 for White & low #10 for Bush. White will cost next years 1+ from 20. Bush may cost this years 2 +. I'll take Bush.
    I wouldn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd for either.

    This team has to many holes. We shouldn't be trading away a 2nd especially in a very deep draft that is loaded with players at positions that we need.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

  8. #98
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Go to YouTube & watch White vs Alabama 2018 & Bush versus Ohio State 2018. Probably two of the weaker games for both but Top comp.
    It is a strong gauge for translation playing Top Comp & seeing how they play through their struggles.

    You will see White is a little more stout between the tackles but I would liked to have see him play more downhill against Bama. Bush plays better in space. You see him all over the field. They asked him to do a lot. Bush is better in coverage imo. He gets beat on a wheel route because he guessed but I like him better for the price. He's more Shazier then white. White more Timmons.

    Both quality players. I would take either. But if you are telling me I have to give up two ones for White vs a 1 & 2 for Bush...I'll take Bush. If I can get either similar for a 1 & 2..I'll take White. I'll maintain they are graded 5 spots apart. I thought White low #10 & Bush low #15. That would be a trade up of 2 & 3 respectively. More I watch I believe it could be low #5 for White & low #10 for Bush. White will cost next years 1+ from 20. Bush may cost this years 2 +. I'll take Bush.
    I wouldn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd for either.

    This team has to many holes. We shouldn't be trading away a 2nd especially in a very deep draft that is loaded with players at positions that we need.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

  9. #99
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    I said this in an earlier post...I too wouldn't trade up in the 1st...I would like to trade up in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th...Maybe twice...

    10 draft picks are not making this team...I would like to see us pick 6 or 7 players, make it more top heavy ( better chances of NOT missing )...

    However the formula would work out for that, and hope we hit on a lot of good players...Squad would be reloaded...

    Maybe Ruth could give us the scenerios on MY strategy, value points wise

  10. #100
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I’d move up and grab either White or Bush, although I prefer White. We have gaps to fill but we have a cavernous hole at ILB that we have no answer for. That is our glaring need and that has to be fixed early, round 1 early, in this draft.

    April 25th is my birthday. Come on Steelers....make it a good one!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •