Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Of course deals are worked out before the draft but 90 percent of deals are never pulled off. So if we can get up and get position to take either Devin, I’d do it now. Put even more of the pressure on the Ravens, who officially have a new GM to figure out how to jump us.
    No way am I showing my hand early. Wait until draft day, see how it unfolds, and make a move if the opportunity arises. I still strongly believe White will go in the top 8. I’m not making a move now if White may be a goner to begin with. Then your stuck with a high draft pick and probably scrambling to trade down.

Patience.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think we are going to have trade up regardless who we draft. We have to be aggressive in getting the players we want, can't afford other teams taking them or jumping in front of us. We also have enough ammo to do it. We can simply keep dropping till we get our player in the
    first.

Just say it is pick 10 and Bush, Burns, Hockenson, Fant, and another player they want is still there, we have to start thinking to trade up to ensure we get one of those players.

WE CAN'T HAVE THAT ARTIE BURNS TYPE OF DRAFT AGAIN!
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    If we take BUSH @ 20 I'm ok with that .... however if the Steelers move up to take him I'm NOT ok with that.
    Add me to this list. I see a guy that prior to the combine was a borderline 1st round pick. Without playing another game, he suddenly becomes a top 10 pick? No thanks. In fact, many had him rated below Mack Wilson. That scares me.

He has freakish athleticism but why does his stats not reflect his athleticism or his "elite" ILB status? Doesn't that concern anyone?

The love fest with Devin Bush is real around here. I'm trying to think of the last time I've seen this type of pre-draft man crush and with who.
    Last edited by steelz09; 03-30-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Very true. Yes, these things are worked out before the draft. But, it’s like a if my guy isn’t there and yours is sort of hand shake agreement. Some are done last minute but many are worked out before the draft starts. Now to answer the question. There is zero doubt in my brain the Steelers are trying to grab White. Our weak DB play is a direct result of having weak ILB play. What some don’t understand is this, a rangy ILB aka Shazier lowers the amount of space the Dbs and safeties must cover. Our D took a massive hit as soon as we lost him for the season and you seen that in play. That wasn’t a coincidence. This position when done well, is game changing and brings up the game of everyone around them. In the modern pass happy NFL, IMO it’s the most important position on D. White is who we have sights on. We have a range. We know where we can leap to if he drops in said range. If he drops to the 9-13 range, watch. Find an elite talent at ILB and build a Tampa 2-like D around an elite talent. Wouldn’t shock me at all if the Steelers moved in this direction.
    Why did our DBs suck with Shazier on the field then?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Add me to this list. I see a guy that prior to the combine was a borderline 1st round pick. Without playing another game, he suddenly becomes a top 10 pick? No thanks. In fact, many had him rated below Mack Wilson. That scares me.

He has freakish athleticism but why does his stats not reflect his athleticism or his "elite" ILB status? Doesn't that concern anyone?

The love fest with Devin Bush is real around here. I'm trying to think of the last time I've seen this type of pre-draft man crush and with who.
    Personally, my man crushes this year are Devin White and T.J. Hockenson. Those are the guys worth an uncharacteristically bold trade up in my eyes.

I like Devin Bush, and I'd be happy if we got him at 20. I'd even be okay if we used a mid round pick to move up a couple of spots for him. But I'm not quite totally smitten.

In terms of big leaps up toward the top 10 or so, that would only be for White or Hock for me.

Basically, I'd be okay trading up to the 8-9 area for White, to the 11-12 area for Hock, and the 17-18 area for Bush.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Personally, my man crushes this year are Devin White and T.J. Hockenson. Those are the guys worth an uncharacteristically bold trade up in my eyes.
    Do you really think we’d have to move up to get Hockenson? I think Fant will go early but Hockenson should be around #20.

EDIT: Just saw your mock. Never mind.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It would be interesting to see if they sucked less when Shazier was playing.

It's different personnel too. Did Haden only play 1/2 a season with Shazier, or 1.5 seasons? I can't remember.

Legend

User Info Menu

Because what he wrote makes no sense....

When we lost Shazier i recall our run D taking a massive hit.
    Spence nor Williams had the speed to get outside and those off tackle runs killed us.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I wouldnt mind Hockenson but I would like to stay put at 20 to get him.

Let's say that Bush and White are gone but Hockenson, Byron Murphy (or another top CB) is available at 20. I would take either at 1.20 and then try to get Mack Wilson in the 2nd even if it requires a trade up. It's a lot less costly to do that in the 2nd.

Speaking of Mack Wilson, isn't it odd that he's the least athletic ILB (per combine and pro day results) out of Bush, White and himself but he has 6 INTs in 2 years while Bush and White only have 1 each? He's a good coverage ILB and some of his INTs are outstanding. It's pretty impressive for being "slow". Maybe better coverage technique and instincts than the other two? Who knows.
    Last edited by steelz09; 03-30-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    When we lost Shazier i recall our run D taking a massive hit.
    Spence nor Williams had the speed to get outside and those off tackle runs killed us.
    That's exactly what I remember. Teams gashed us on outside runs.