Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

Are the Steelers preparing to for a big trade up in the draft?

By: Curt Popejoy

It is starting to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers have stockpiled some draft picks with the intention of moving up at some point. The 2019 NFL draft class has a few top tier players at key positions for the Steelers but none of them are likely to be on the board when Pittsburgh picks. Whether it is inside linebacker, edge rusher or even wide receiver, most of the top names will be long gone before the No. 20 overall pick.

This got us thinking about what the Steelers would need to do in order to get into the Top 10 and land one of those prospects. Hereís what the Steelers current crop of picks look like.

First round Pick 20

Second round Pick 52

Third round Pick 66 (from Oakland)

Third round Pick 83

Fourth round Pick 122

Fifth round Pick 141 (from Oakland)

Sixth round Pick 175

Sixth round Pick 192

Sixth round Pick 207 (from Arizona)

Seventh round Pick 219

We look to the good folks at Draft Tek for their trade value chart. Of course, no gauge like this is perfect but it does create something of a baseline. For this scenario, we are looking at how the Steelers can get to the No. 10 overall pick. Reason being, if Pittsburgh is eyeing one of the top inside linebackers, getting ahead of the Cincinnati Bengals is key.

On the chart, the No. 10 pick has a value of 1,300. By comparison, the Steelers first-round pick at No. 20 has a value of 850. If we are thinking in generalities, letís say Pittsburgh much find a way to add around 600 points to the mix.

The No. 52 overall pick adds 380 points and the No. 66 overall pick 260 more. This would be enough on paper to move up 10 spots in the first round. Sound expensive? Thatís because it is.

What would this look like?

Scenario 1
    No. 10 overall-Devin White Linebacker LSU

Scenario 2
    No. 20 overall-A.J. Brown Wide receiver Ole Miss

No. 52 overall-Chase Winovich Edge Michigan

No. 66 overall- TeíVon Coney Linebacker Notre Dame

As good as those top players might be, this feels like the Steelers are giving up way too much just to move up 10 spots. Would you make this trade?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-in-the-draft/

Legend

User Info Menu

I have been thinking so as well. I believe it is to grab White. I believe thatís their Troy/Shazier. Itís who they have their eyes on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I have been thinking so as well. I believe it is to grab White. I believe thatís their Troy/Shazier. Itís who they have their eyes on.
    I agree, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.
    I agree. The Steelers man is White no doubt and Bush is a consolation prize. Colbert told us as much. We didn’t do enough to get a true playmaker to replace Shazier. He told the world what they plan to do. Stock pile picks and move up to grab White, Polamalu style.
    Last edited by Shawn; 03-18-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    "Or" we would happily trade Brown for Buffalos pick.........because it was better than what we actually got?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    "Or" we would happily trade Brown for Buffalos pick.........because it was better than what we actually got?
    well yeah, and there's that

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

White, to me is the answer to our ILB woes. Pricey yes, but we can probably get another 3rd if we keep trading up with our 4, 5, and multiple 6 picks, plus we can probably include a deal involving Burnette to a team who needs a safety or cap space. (saves 5M june cut)

If you think about it, we would probably spend one of the top 3 picks on either Bush, Wilson, Prat or any other ILB. And from the grades and reports on them, they all seem to have potential but have significant flaws.

We have our #2 WR in Moncrief now.
    We have our #2 CB in Nelson now.
    We have our dimebacker/ safety in Marron.
    ILB, TE depth, are our only holes now.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

I always want to be the team that keeps trading down by a couple picks and stockpiling draft picks to eventually trade up or for a player when needed. Not always a big fan of spending a fortune to move up in round 1. Really don't like moving up for an ILB. From a position perspective, I think ILBs are like the RBs of the D. A dime a dozen and doesn't need to be your star player.

Just consider if we could cover and get to the QB, no one would consider our ILB a weakness. Our real weakness is having a game changing pass rushing talent in the front 7.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I always want to be the team that keeps trading down by a couple picks and stockpiling draft picks to eventually trade up or for a player when needed. Not always a big fan of spending a fortune to move up in round 1. Really don't like moving up for an ILB. From a position perspective, I think ILBs are like the RBs of the D. A dime a dozen and doesn't need to be your star player.

Just consider if we could cover and get to the QB, no one would consider our ILB a weakness. Our real weakness is having a game changing pass rushing talent in the front 7.
    There you go you just answered our weakness, White could be that game changing pass rusher in the front 7, who causes havoc and turnovers.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Starter

User Info Menu

The Bengals have a lot of picks. They too could package up some of them and move up in the first round so that they don't get jumped and still get their guy.

Oh, wait. It's the Bengals. It would never occur to them to do that.

Carry on.