Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I love the idea of Houston. But it scares me. He has been a "big dog". Been PAID!
    Cant see him happy to be a situational pass rusher! Don't want a Harrison 2.0! Now there is no rookie trying to take that position from a vet in this situation. But still a weird situation with say him, Bud, Chick. TJ is not losing any snaps.
    Also Can Houston be a 3 down drop zone OLB the Steelers defense asks for now a days? Can he play either side?
    What does this say about OLB's in the draft?

Legend

User Info Menu

Get er done!!!!

I'll take a 22 sack producing OLB. Houston has more sacks in one season than Bud has in his entire career. Even if Houston is a shell of his former self, Bud is a shell of his shell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can Houston play inside or is he strictly an OLB?

Legend

User Info Menu

outside.............

Legend

User Info Menu

Shaquill Barrett from the Broncos is more attractive to me than Houston. I'd also look at Clay Matthews. His sack numbers are down, but the Packers had him playing inside quite a bit the past couple of seasons. That versatility may be what we need

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m not sure of the fit unless they plan to do something with Dupree (trade, move inside, backup). KC released Houston because they are switching to a 4-3. I see a fit here but they are still extremely thin at ILB. I like Houston...he’s an upgrade over Dupree.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Shaquill Barrett from the Broncos is more attractive to me than Houston. I'd also look at Clay Matthews. His sack numbers are down, but the Packers had him playing inside quite a bit the past couple of seasons. That versatility may be what we need
    I would like for them to sign both

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I would like for them to sign both
    Lets sign Houston, Barrett and Mathews - trade up to get Devin White - problems are solved.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

If you look at Justin Houston and Earl Thomas, it would appear to be somewhat similar situations.

They are essentially the same age (Houston turned 30 two months ago and Thomas turns 30 two months from now, although Thomas has one more year of NFL experience), both were absolutely dominant players at their respective positions early in their careers when they were young and healthy, and their production has fallen off over the last 2-3 years, primarily due to injuries.

Baltimore paid Earl Thomas a 4 year, $55M contract with $32M guaranteed. If Houston is looking for something similar, it's a hard "NO!!!"

In spite of the talent, that's an awful contract that Ravens signed, gambling that Earl Thomas can return to his previous form at his age after multiple season-ending injuries. HUUUUGE risk.

If we can get Houston on a reasonable, short-term deal to be a situational pass rusher on a rotational basis, then I'm all for it. But nowhere close to the Earl Thomas deal. Not even half that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

if we can get houston on a reasonable, short-term deal to be a situational pass rusher on a rotational basis, then i'm all for it. But nowhere close to the earl thomas deal. Not even half that.
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^^^