Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flippy Mock 1.0

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    What about Hockenson in the 1st and Mack Wilson in the 2nd? Sign me up.
    I hear ya; problem is Wilson is going to be gone by our second round pick.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

1st. Thanks for the mock. I don't follow NCAA football and I think it's always cool to see names of players people on here thing we should take.

I would probably be initially disappointed if we drafted a TE in the 1st. But that's based only on the position because I don't follow College Football.

OTOH, I have read good things about Hockenson and I'm less concerned about the secondary after the Nelson signing.

But, I'm probably more worried about ILB now that we don't even have Fort anymore (at least we knew he could play at some level in the NFL).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    1st. Thanks for the mock. I don't follow NCAA football and I think it's always cool to see names of players people on here thing we should take.

I would probably be initially disappointed if we drafted a TE in the 1st. But that's based only on the position because I don't follow College Football.

OTOH, I have read good things about Hockenson and I'm less concerned about the secondary after the Nelson signing.

But, I'm probably more worried about ILB now that we don't even have Fort anymore (at least we knew he could play at some level in the NFL).
    Re: drafting an ILB, I'm not 100% sold on the options we may have in round 1-2. I like Pratt from NC State as much as the ILBs that are projected to go earlier and think he could be a really good ILB.

Also, I figure we have to address the ILB situation in FA. But I have to question, what is it that we really want? Do we want a traditional ILB or someone that's more of an extra S on the field. How often are we in sub packages anyway? There's different ways to skin the cat imho. And you just have to try to get the best players you can and adjust to the players vs going for need if you want the best team imho.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Re: drafting an ILB, I'm not 100% sold on the options we may have in round 1-2. I like Pratt from NC State as much as the ILBs that are projected to go earlier and think he could be a really good ILB.

Also, I figure we have to address the ILB situation in FA. But I have to question, what is it that we really want? Do we want a traditional ILB or someone that's more of an extra S on the field. How often are we in sub packages anyway? There's different ways to skin the cat imho. And you just have to try to get the best players you can and adjust to the players vs going for need if you want the best team imho.
    Thanks for the explanation Flip.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I just donít get everyone always wanting to waste a first round pick on a TE. Only time a team should take a TE in the first round is if it were a playoff team whoís set at just about every other position.

But for a team like us with gapping homes in 2-3 areas, I donít think so.
    I think a TE is one of the most important positions (or can be) on a team.

A great TE can improve pass pro, run blocking, can open up the middle of the field to help the running game, can improve your success in the red zone. A versatile TE is one of the biggest matchup problems and can open up the entire passing and running game.

I'd rather have a game changing TE vs a mediocre LB that we picked just because we needed to fill a position. If we always chase filling positions, we'll be mediocre all over the field versus having game changers on both sides of the ball.

I prefer a great defender, but just don't think the guys I really like will be there at 20. The TE may be off the board too, but I think there's a better chance he's there out of the players I like. I think the Steelers have to really consider him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I just donít get everyone always wanting to waste a first round pick on a TE. Only time a team should take a TE in the first round is if it were a playoff team whoís set at just about every other position.

But for a team like us with gapping homes in 2-3 areas, I donít think so.
    I read the same types of comments on a previous board when we took a TE with a hernia named Heath Miller

Legend

User Info Menu

A great TE can improve pass pro, run blocking, can open up the middle of the field to help the running game, can improve your success in the red zone. A versatile TE is one of the biggest matchup problems and can open up the entire passing and running game.

I'd rather have a game changing TE vs a mediocre LB that we picked just because we needed to fill a position. If we always chase filling positions, we'll be mediocre all over the field versus having game changers on both sides of the ball.

I prefer a great defender, but just don't think the guys I really like will be there at 20. The TE may be off the board too, but I think there's a better chance he's there out of the players I like. I think the Steelers have to really consider him.
    As Ben gets older, a TE who has elite talent can be his best friend.

Hockensen likely will be gone before #20..However, I think Noah Fant can be just as special especially in the passing game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is an excellent mock draft
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Backup

User Info Menu

I certainly appreciate this thought process as well. A TE like Hockensen can also add another dynamic that helps offset the loss of AB.
    I'm on the fence - but I keep going back to the frustrations with the defense. If TE is the pick in the first, I just hope Colbert and crew have a plan to address ILB with some urgency after that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Playmakers on defense is what we need IMO...
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.