Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flippy Mock 1.0

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy Mock 1.0

1. TJ Hockenson - TE - Iowa - 6'5" - 251

When we pick, I have a feeling this could be the best player on the board. This kid has all the upside in the world to be a complete TE and one of the best in the game. Plus I'm feeling a little nostalgic. The year we drafted Heath Miller in the 1st was the same year we won SuperBowl XL. In fact, we went to 3 of 6 SuperBowls following the year we drafted Heath. My heart says draft a difference maker on D. Even trade up for a stud. But if we stay put in round 1, I think this pick makes so much sense because I expect the guys I really like to be gone.

2. Nasir Adderley - DB - Delaware - 6'0 - 206

Interesting small school prospect. He's a S that played a couple years at CB before making the switch. He's versatile and an all around solid football player. He's got HOF bloodlines which has to be a positive on some level. I'm really not sure where he'll go, but if he's there, tremendous risk/reward pick.

3. a. Mecole Hardman - WR - Georgia - 5'10 - 187

Not a ton of experience as a WR, but lightning quick. This is a kid that will take the top off a D and is one of the few WRs I like. I think he's another risk / reward pick that could be a game changer on O with his speed.

3. b. Germaine Pratt - ILB - NC State - 6'2" - 240

This is one of my favorite unheralded players in the draft. He makes tackles. He's all over the field. He's raw only starting for 1 year but he is a football player. Converted from S to LB, he's the hybrid S/LB that we've been looking for. I think he might be a better fit for us than the top 3 ILBs a lot of people like.

4. Miles Sanders - RB - Penn State - 5"11" - 211

Gotta be a homer somewhere in my draft so I'm going to go with the Pittsburgh kid that went to PSU. I've read some negatives on the guy, but to me he looks pretty effective. Solid frame, shifty, quick and I think he could do just as well as Conner in our O.

5. Jordan Brailford - OLB - Oklahoma State - 6'3" - 252

I think he's a guy with some potential at the position. Lots of production, but doesn't measure with the top end edge rushers. I think he can eventually become a quality starter. At worst, I'd see him as a Vince Williams or Larry Foote of OLBs from the perspective of not crazy athletic, but smart, hard working, and will produce on the football field.

6. a. Anthony Nelson - DL - Iowa - 6'7" - 271

All these great Dlinemen and I feel like I waited too long to pick one. In Mock 2.0, I might change up some of the positions a bit and the rounds. But I like AN's potential. Seems like he has a frame to get bigger and stronger and he seems like a hard working/effort guy that would put in the work to get better.

6. b. Matt Gay - K - Utah

Just picked a K. This guy seems to have a big leg. Feel like this is an area of need at some point.

6. c. Jake Bailey - P - Stanford

Seems to be the punter with the biggest leg and hang time. We have enough picks to grab a punter at some point. And a good one is super valuable.

7. Sutton Smith - LB - Northern Illinois - 6' - 233

One of the most productive player in college. He's a penetration machine. He's got an insane motor. But I have no idea how he can make it as an OLB at the NFL level given his size. I have a feeling this is the kind of kid that turns into a ST Pro Bowler. He's all effort and hustle. I think he'd have a positive impact on the culture even if he only makes it as a ST player. But then again, he'd been so productive, I think he'd figure out a way to contribute.

Banned

User Info Menu

I just don’t get everyone always wanting to waste a first round pick on a TE. Only time a team should take a TE in the first round is if it were a playoff team who’s set at just about every other position.

But for a team like us with gapping homes in 2-3 areas, I don’t think so.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm always interested in the mocks as I don't watch NCAA generally. I have a number of family members who are Hawkeye fans, so I'll have to ask about the Iowa players you have listed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice work. It never goes the way we think or want. Hardmen n Nelson I really like. Sanders is solid. Hockenson is so good at all aspects and ran 4.71 which is plenty fast enough so if we stay at 20 we would have to be very fortunate for him to still be there.

Backup

User Info Menu

I know Hockenson is a stud TE, but I just see way bigger needs. I'd prefer heading in to the season with McDonald at TE and Bush at ILB than with Hockenson at TE and any of our current ILB's at ILB.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    I know Hockenson is a stud TE, but I just see way bigger needs. I'd prefer heading in to the season with McDonald at TE and Bush at ILB than with Hockenson at TE and any of our current ILB's at ILB.
    This...........

Legend

User Info Menu

The 20th overall pick isn't our only pick. If Hockenson happens to fall to #20, he would likely the best player available. I'd rather take the BPA than reaching in an effort to fill a need. You can still draft an ILB at #52, #66, #83, #122, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is a good point about where needs may exceed talent. That intersection of where the lines cross for those two values is what everyone faces at every draft. Take the better TE or a lower rated LB? That leads to the next question of then trading back for extra pick(s) if we want to fill the need but feel we could get the same value later and pocket an extra selection.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    This...........
    What about Hockenson in the 1st and Mack Wilson in the 2nd? Sign me up.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Banned

User Info Menu

If Bush is there, he’s the better pick over the TE. We can get a TE later, like most teams do.