Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief on 2 year deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    it can be successfully argued either way.

bottom line is we lost one of the top WRs in the NFL and we have yet to re-sign Heyward-Bey or Justin Hunter. if a WR is the BPA available on Day 1 or 2 of the draft then we should draft him as competition is a good thing and we do need some depth at the position.
    Hunter or Bey can get resigned at a whim obviously. I think we've already replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief. But in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.
    so far we have brought in Miles Boykin and Andy Isabella for pre-draft visits, both are projected to be late Day 2 early Day 3 guys.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.ph...&order=ASC

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Hunter or Bey can get resigned at a whim obviously. I think we've already replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief. But in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.
    Replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief? Moncrief's best year is less than half of Brown's best year in terms of catches, yards, and TD's. Brown cannot be adequately replaced by any one guy. It's a team effort, and Ben with spread the ball around more. Moncrief is one small part in that. I know fans want defense, defense, defense, but I'd expect us to add both a WR and a TE within our first 5 picks in this draft.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman’s Take on WR:

Moncrief will play a mix of Z & X WR. He’s not a true X type. Neither is JuJu who is more a mix of Z and Big Slot. Then there is Switzer and Rogers- both genuine slot guys. Washington played a bit of X in college, but might fit better as a Z/X like Moncrief. There is no true X in the group. Hakeem Butler, Myles Boykin and Kelvin Harmon are true X WR’s and would give the group a good rounded look. It’s not about giving up on Washington as it is about putting a diverse group together.
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadmanís Take on WR:

Moncrief will play a mix of Z & X WR. Heís not a true X type. Neither is JuJu who is more a mix of Z and Big Slot. Then there is Switzer and Rogers- both genuine slot guys. Washington played a bit of X in college, but might fit better as a Z/X like Moncrief. There is no true X in the group. Hakeem Butler, Myles Boykin and Kelvin Harmon are true X WRís and would give the group a good rounded look. Itís not about giving up on Washington as it is about putting a diverse group together.
    great analysis Chadman!

the Steelers have had Miles Boykin in for a pre-draft visit, I would love to see us select him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ombine-workout

Legend

User Info Menu

The last true X WR’s the Steelers had were Bryant and Wallace. Both gave Ben a legitimate deep threat type player, although neither were what used to be termed #1 guys.

If you don’t think the Steelers are better off with an X on the team- despite the numbers last year being extraordinarily high in passing, Ben was often criticised for forcing throws into coverage. Bryant used to open the field up, once he was removed, regardless of how good AB and JuJu are, the field condensed and Ben had to force passes more. A genuine X will make the passing game infinitely more dangerous
    Early Addition Mock (3 Round Version)

Fix the Run Defence Mode:

1. DaRon Payne
    2. Josey Jewell
    3 Kerryon Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief? Moncrief's best year is less than half of Brown's best year in terms of catches, yards, and TD's. Brown cannot be adequately replaced by any one guy. It's a team effort, and Ben with spread the ball around more. Moncrief is one small part in that. I know fans want defense, defense, defense, but I'd expect us to add both a WR and a TE within our first 5 picks in this draft.
    It is a team effort... you are right. Let's see how much better this team can be when we are not targeting one guy 15 times a game "AB". I'm also curious to see how good Moncrief can be when he's got a real QB throwing to him. Nobody's saying he's "AB" so to speak... but i'll bet he's a solid #2... and that is "Adequate" in terms of the "Team effort" we will need to make a run in the post season.

Legend

User Info Menu

so far we have brought in Miles Boykin and Andy Isabella for pre-draft visits, both are projected to be late Day 2 early Day 3 guys.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.ph...XPos&order=ASC
    Boykin isn’t a slot guy. Boykin has the physical make up similar to Galloday of the Lions. Isabella is a slot guy.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman’s Take on WR:

Moncrief will play a mix of Z & X WR. He’s not a true X type. Neither is JuJu who is more a mix of Z and Big Slot. Then there is Switzer and Rogers- both genuine slot guys. Washington played a bit of X in college, but might fit better as a Z/X like Moncrief. There is no true X in the group. Hakeem Butler, Myles Boykin and Kelvin Harmon are true X WR’s and would give the group a good rounded look. It’s not about giving up on Washington as it is about putting a diverse group together.
    Hmm.. I see what your saying. I’m not sure weather I agree with that or not. But I do think Moncreif( if he stays healthy) is better then what most think with Ben throwing to him. But for what we need going forward from our WR’s, I don’t think we actually have to have an AB type of WR. I’m thinking we will be running a much more balanced , dominate time of possession type of offense.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 04-01-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

great analysis Chadman!

the Steelers have had Miles Boykin in for a pre-draft visit, I would love to see us select him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ombine-workout

I read that Boykin is a bit of a project ? Is that accurate? If we take him, I hope he pans out.