Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief on 2 year deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    so, if the officials are not going to throw the flag, it may be better to have bigger receivers at their diposal who may not be effected as much by their jerseys being pulled by a defensive back
    I trust Colbert drafting WR's more than any other position, but I sure hope we don't come to regret passing on a couple of athletic freaks with excellent size in Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin when we opted to take another smallish receiver again in Diontae Johnson instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

as great as AB is, insdie the red zone is not one of his stronger suits. much tighter in there and defenders are able to get more physical with him.
    of course it would help if the officials would have called penalties when they pulled on his shirt to get ahead of him like they did on the INT vs denver. I've noticed that a countless number of time with few penalties being called.

so, if the officials are not going to throw the flag, it may be better to have bigger receivers at their diposal who may not be effected as much by their jerseys being pulled by a defensive back
    moncrief, Juju, Samuels, Mcdonald...great red zone targets.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I trust Colbert drafting WR's more than any other position, but I sure hope we don't come to regret passing on a couple of athletic freaks with excellent size in Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin when we opted to take another smallish receiver again in Diontae Johnson instead.

that was a very puzzling selection with those 2 guys on board

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, if we look at where Butler and Boykin ultimately got drafted, both of those teams drafted a wideout who is actually smaller than Diontae Johnson first.

The Cardinals took the tiny Andy Isabella in round 2 before taking the bigger Hakeem Butler in round 4.

The Ravens took the tiny Marquise Brown in round 1 before taking the bigger Miles Boykin in round 3.

So we obviously weren't the only team the preferred the smaller receiver to the big freak athletes.

If Butler and Boykin were the second coming of Julio Jones and A.J. Green, then teams would have been jumping over themselves to draft those elite physical specimen in round 1, but that obviously didn't happen.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Boykin is raw and Butler would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't have a 15% drop %
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Size and straight line speed are great assets to have, but elite level route running and change of direction skills are more important in terms of finding quality receivers. Hands don't hurt either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Boykin is raw and Butler would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't have a 15% drop %
    Those are the things I heard also after the draft. I didn't know Boykin was THAT much of a project. And that drop rate of Butler's had teams really concerned after I read that the Colts liked him but not where he was taken because of the drops.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I guess this means that you think Johnson isn't going to make it in this league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Donte Moncrief Knows ‘This Is A Huge Year For Me’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 2, 2019

The first move that the Pittsburgh Steelers made to address the post-Antonio Brown offense was signing sixth-year veteran free agent wide receiver Donte Moncrief. A former third-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts, he spent last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but in Pittsburgh he will finally work with another starting-caliber quarterback for the first time since his early years with Andrew Luck before the injuries.

While he has had some productivity in his career, he knows that he hasn’t quite lived up to the billing, nor his own standards, and the two-year, $9 million contract that he signed with the Steelers represented a step down in compensation that reflects that reality.

“I know this is a huge year for me”, he told Jeremy Fowler recently during OTAs. “New team, everybody looking for me to make big plays. I have to be ready”.

While he is not the only option opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster—a 2018 Pro Bowler—Moncrief is the only one among that group that has meaningful NFL experience. The other two primary contenders are James Washington, a second-year wide receiver with minimal production, and Diontae Johnson, who was just drafted with the 66th-overall pick in April.

And he likes what he has seen from those guys and others as he enters arguably the most talented wide receiver room in which he has worked since he entered the league. In fact, he had a good feeling about the entire team, saying that “there’s a lot of great leadership”, and “you can tell this is a good locker room”.

Though he very much wants to be a part of that ‘good locker room’, he does not want to fall into that ‘veteran mentor’ role that Darrius Heyward-Bey seamlessly adopted. He sparsely contributed on offense—and often when he did, it was to be a blocker—but he had a big presence as a leader with his group of guys.

He wants to “work hard in front of the receivers and show the guys that I’m not just here to just talk, I’m here to play”, in his own words. Which seemingly fits into the rest of the group. He also told Fowler that “everybody’s pushing each other”, and that when a player drops a pass, they have to ‘drop’ and do 10 push-ups as a consequence. According to Pro Football Focus, Moncrief has averaged between two to four drops in his career per season, neither great nor terrible.

“Everybody’s trying to bring energy”, he said of the group. “I feel like everybody’ going to be able to help. Everyone’s ready to play. Everybody knows JuJu is going to get a lot of attention. We have to be able to help him out, take some double-teams away and beat man so the defense has to cover everybody”.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/do...e-year-for-me/