Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief on 2 year deal

Legend

User Info Menu

High hopes for Donte Moncrief in Pittsburgh

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2019, 2:26 PM EDT

As the Steelers clamor to replace the high-level production of receiver Antonio Brown, an unlikely candidate arrived in free agency, from the Jaguars.

Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com believes that Moncrief appeared to be a clear-cut No. 2 receiver during the offseason program.

“I wasn’t really sure what to expect when he came in,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Moncrief, via Kaboly. “I didn’t know him and now just getting to see his work ethic, the type of person he is, his desire to be great, his knowledge of the offense already. We’ll do no-huddle stuff and I’ll give him a signal and I’ll be like, ‘You good?’ and he’ll be like, ‘Yeah.’ He is in with coach [Darryl] Drake every single morning, pretty much all day.”

Kaboly envisions 50-60 catches and five or six touchdown receptions for Moncrief, who originally played for the Colts before a one-year stint in Jacksonville and who is competing with the likes of James Washington and Dionte Johnson for the starting spot across from JuJu Smith-Schuster, the 2018 team MVP who is now the No. 1 wideout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/18/high-hopes-for-donte-moncrief-in-pittsburgh/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes Donte Moncrief "looks like a slam-dunk No. 2" receiver.
    After watching the free-agent addition in the spring, Kaboly believes Moncrief "easily looks like a 50- or 60-catch guy with five or six touchdowns." The receiver also earned praise from Ben Roethlisberger, who talked up Moncrief's work ethic and knowledge of the offense. It is still possible James Washington or Diontae Johnson make their case in camp, but things are looking good for Moncrief right now, making him a nice value pick in the double-digit rounds.

SOURCE: The Athletic
    Jun 18, 2019, 8:53 AM ET

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    High hopes for Donte Moncrief in Pittsburgh

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2019, 2:26 PM EDT

As the Steelers clamor to replace the high-level production of receiver Antonio Brown, an unlikely candidate arrived in free agency, from the Jaguars.

Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com believes that Moncrief appeared to be a clear-cut No. 2 receiver during the offseason program.

“I wasn’t really sure what to expect when he came in,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Moncrief, via Kaboly. “I didn’t know him and now just getting to see his work ethic, the type of person he is, his desire to be great, his knowledge of the offense already. We’ll do no-huddle stuff and I’ll give him a signal and I’ll be like, ‘You good?’ and he’ll be like, ‘Yeah.’ He is in with coach [Darryl] Drake every single morning, pretty much all day.”

Kaboly envisions 50-60 catches and five or six touchdown receptions for Moncrief, who originally played for the Colts before a one-year stint in Jacksonville and who is competing with the likes of James Washington and Dionte Johnson for the starting spot across from JuJu Smith-Schuster, the 2018 team MVP who is now the No. 1 wideout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/18/high-hopes-for-donte-moncrief-in-pittsburgh/
    With his experience, if he is the true #2 then I really hope for more that 50-60 catches. I mean Vance McDonald had 50 catches and 4 TDs last year. I think anything less than 70-80 catches for Moncrief is a disappointment.

Legend

User Info Menu

agreed.. 4 to 5 catches a game for our #2 wideout is reasonable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    With his experience, if he is the true #2 then I really hope for more that 50-60 catches. I mean Vance McDonald had 50 catches and 4 TDs last year. I think anything less than 70-80 catches for Moncrief is a disappointment.
    If he equals his best totals (64 rec, 668 yards, 7 TDs) think he's probably a mid-tier WR2.

Last year, the 48th ranked WR (John Brown BAL) had 42 rec, 715 yards, and 5 TDs.

If he gets his average production outside of his rookie year (42 rec, 525 yards, 4.5 TDs), he's probably closer to the bottom of the WR2 pile.

Last year, the 64th ranked WR (D. Baldwin SEA) had 50 rec, 618 yards, and 5 TDs.

I hope that Ben can bring out the best in him. But I think our best course of action is to have Ben distributing the ball to whoever's open / has the best match-up between several mid-tier WRs (when JuJu's not open).

Legend

User Info Menu

Have to see the makeup of the O this year before we will know our numbers expectations. I really think we can see a dynamic like the Patriots have where a given player can go off in any given game due to mismatches. Time for the system to evolve to where the offense will take advantage of other teams' weaknesses instead of trying to "impose our will".

With AB in the fold, priority 1 was to feed him the ball. Only when he was doubled did the team reluctantly go to plan B, and not always then. If a D had a great DB who was covering AB, and a soft run D, the team still tried to push it in to Brown again and again.

I think that the entire offensive philosophy will undergo huge changes this off-season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Have to see the makeup of the O this year before we will know our numbers expectations. I really think we can see a dynamic like the Patriots have where a given player can go off in any given game due to mismatches. Time for the system to evolve to where the offense will take advantage of other teams' weaknesses instead of trying to "impose our will".

With AB in the fold, priority 1 was to feed him the ball. Only when he was doubled did the team reluctantly go to plan B, and not always then. If a D had a great DB who was covering AB, and a soft run D, the team still tried to push it in to Brown again and again.

I think that the entire offensive philosophy will undergo huge changes this off-season.
    This is what I'm hoping for. I think that if the QB can make good decisions quickly it's a very good strategy.

I think it will mostly depend on whether Ben can run that kind of offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

JuJu had 111 catches as the number 2 last year, so im not sure AB was keeping other people from getting the ball. In fact it may be true the AB made it possible for others to flourish.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    JuJu had 111 catches as the number 2 last year, so im not sure AB was keeping other people from getting the ball. In fact it may be true the AB made it possible for others to flourish.
    Yup. The problem tho is our offense threw the ball a ton.

Down by 7? Pass, pass, pass

We need balance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Question people. When has the number one receiver been statistically SECOND in so many stats?

Name any great receiver.......when did it happen before receiver 1 got old?
    I can think of one possible answer Lynn Swann.....but reality is Stallworth simply proved to be a HOF level legit number one himself.

My point. I aint worried AT ALL about Juju cause the "he got lesser coverage" garbage is just a myth.
    You dont lead a team in catches and yards over a HOFer because you are a number 2 with lesser coverage.....it doesnt happen. EVER!

We talk about the coverage Brown had.......he has been elite FOR YEARS yet was number one by a WIDE margin. Coverage was never an issue for Brown before.
    Brown was force fed the ball plenty DESPITE coverage and his numbers dropped?

People, his catch "percentage" was the difference. We all saw it.

Truth? ABs game "declined" people. Seems early to be age but its possible.
    My take? His "greatness" is from having the "eye of the tiger" and he lost his edge with all his accolades.

Neither Moncrief nor any other receiver will be as great as Brown individually.

But Ben's force feeding him the ball hurt the team.

Overall, Bens making better decisions, feeling no such "pressure" to feed Brown's ego WILL result in better QB play which in the end is what matters WAY more than receiver talent.
    If receiver talent mattered SO MUCH Brady would have no rings and Ben would have plenty.

The last "elite" ego-centric receiver to get a ring.......Michael Irvin TWENTY FOUR years ago?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher