Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree to receive entire $9.2 million salary for 2019

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud Dupree to receive entire $9.2 million salary for 2019

Bud Dupree to receive entire $9.2 million salary for 2019

By BRYAN DEARDO

Bud Dupree did not have his 2019 salary restructured and will make $9.2 million for the upcoming season. There was speculation that the Steelers, who had until the start of the league's new year to get it done, would restructure Dupree's fifth year option while giving them added cap space in the process. The Steelers ultimately decided to not go in that direction.

Dupree has turned into a solid, yet unspectacular starter after being Pittsburgh's first round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. After starting the final seven games (including the postseason) of his rookie season, Dupree missed nine games in 2016 after spending the first half of the season on IR. Dupree bounced back to have a solid season in 2017, setting a career high with 6.0 sacks while also recording 12 tackles for loss. In 2018, Dupree, after switching sides with fellow outside linebacker and former first round pick T.J. Watt, collected 5.5 sacks while also recording the first interception and touchdown of his career. The Steelers picked up Dupree's fifth year option last offseason.

Last month, during his meeting with local Pittsburgh media, Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert was asked if he is comfortable paying Dupree that much money heading into his final year under contract.

"We'll watch this thing as we go into free agency, the draft," Colbert said, via Jim Wexell of 247Sports. "His number is there. We know what it is."

Colbert was asked, as a follow-up, if Dupree's money is guaranteed once free agency begins

"Yes. Again, we'll continue to monitor that. Look, Bud Dupree had his best year last year, and collectively he and T.J. are pretty good. I like the change that Coach Tomlin made, putting T.J. on the left, putting Bud on the right. Does Bud still have more? Absolutely. Bud's a starter on a winning team. Is it a playofff team? No. Does he have more to give? Absolutely. From an effort standpoint? No, it's not a lack of effort. Let's turn that effort into more production. Can he? Will he? We'll see."

Colbert also assessed the strengths and weaknesses of Pittsburgh's defense during the 2018 season while looking forward to how he and the Steelers will look to bolster the unit moving forward.

"Defensively, again there's a little inconsistency," he said. "We led the league or were second in sacks, but our turnover production was near the bottom. Usually when you're getting pressure, you're getting more turnovers. We think that's reflective of the group that we have. That's not to say we don't have guys that are capable of making plays in the secondary, but we didn't have that type of production.

"So, again, we're looking to maintain the pressure aspect and improve the turnover part of it. Again, another young player who stepped up in his second year was T.J. Watt. He did a nice job. Continues to grow, but we need more young playmakers, especially on the back end. The young kids that we have need to continue to get better and make more plays, and we have to continue to search and look for more playmakers."

Following a spring practice last offseason, Dupree, who celebrated his 26th birthday earlier this month, said that he knows there's still another level of his game he has yet to get to.

"The ceiling that I have, I'm nowhere near reaching (yet)," Dupree told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "I just gotta go out, keep going hard and trusting the scheme."

Dupree was asked what his ceiling potentially looks like.

"I donít what it looks like," he said. "I gotta keep getting better and better. I feel myself getting better and better each rep, each day, each training session."

Despite his banner 2018 season, Watt, who led the Steelers with 13.0 sacks last season after switching positions with Dupree, recently told Fowler that he felt like he left "a lot of plays out there" this past season. Despite his stellar year, Watt was unable to help the Steelers' defense get out of several jams during the team's three-game losing streak that ultimately kept them out of the postseason. Pittsburgh's defense gave up late scores in each of the team's final four losses of the 2018 season.

"We're nowhere near satisfied with where we can be as a defense," Watt said. "Weíve gotten ourselves here. We have to handle our business first. Itís just frustrating, not being able to put together as many complete games as we know weíre capable of. We understand how competitive the NFL is, and we feel we have a really good team here and we definitely feel we should have won more games than we have. But at the same time we respect the NFL, respect the process, respect everything about this game to be the best we can possibly be."

While his 2018 campaign was not a disappointing one, it's clear that Dupree will have to further elevate his game if he wants to improve his chances at receiving a longterm commitment from the Steelers heading into the 2019 offseason.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...019-130036874/

Legend

User Info Menu

I beginning to think Colbert may have a concussion like AB...
    Signing Berry and Chickillo and this now?
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Help me out, on the rules here, is that money guaranteed? Can they rescind the 5th year, or was that till the "NFL New Year" or maybe like most contracts 5 days into the New Year?

Scratching my head here, comparing him to Ford.
    SF gave a 2nd in 2020 and gave him a big contract something like 17 million a year.
    That is a lot of money...

I wonder what Bud's long term contract is going to be worth.
    If he is going to be a one year stop gap, trade him, find a vet ( Ray, Houston) and draft one again.( that Michigan kid! in the 2nd or 3rd)

What is Shane Ray's true value going to end up being in FA?
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's too bad we couldn't find a better solution than this.

I think he's an NFL starter, but the price is pretty steep

Stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one

Starter

User Info Menu

If L.T. Walton doesn’t resign then Chickillo and Dupree will be the only 2015 draft picks still left on the roster. That speaks volumes about how bad that draft turned out to be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Help me out, on the rules here, is that money guaranteed? Can they rescind the 5th year, or was that till the "NFL New Year" or maybe like most contracts 5 days into the New Year?

Scratching my head here, comparing him to Ford.
    SF gave a 2nd in 2020 and gave him a big contract something like 17 million a year.
    That is a lot of money...

I wonder what Bud's long term contract is going to be worth.
    If he is going to be a one year stop gap, trade him, find a vet ( Ray, Houston) and draft one again.( that Michigan kid! in the 2nd or 3rd)

What is Shane Ray's true value going to end up being in FA?
    I think it became guaranteed when the NFL new year started.

But maybe there's a grace period?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

we are on the hook for it

really not much to get upset about. the position group is so bereft of talent you had little choice but to pay him this year

just a shame to see this group devoid of any real players in the pipeline unless ola really surprises in year 2 or you get lucky in the draft

seems like we used to have guys waiting in the wings to step up and produce

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    we are on the hook for it

really not much to get upset about. the position group is so bereft of talent you had little choice but to pay him this year

just a shame to see this group devoid of any real players in the pipeline unless ola really surprises in year 2 or you get lucky in the draft

seems like we used to have guys waiting in the wings to step up and produce
    we did but this is what you get for crappy drafting for several years.......

Backup

User Info Menu

The Ravens sign Ingram and Thomas. We know what the Browns did. We resign this bum, someone even worse, and a punter. Oh, also a CB that was part of the worst secondary in the league. Good times. Go team!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    The Ravens sign Ingram and Thomas. We know what the Browns did. We resign this bum, someone even worse, and a punter. Oh, also a CB that was part of the worst secondary in the league. Good times. Go team!
    The standard is the standard
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.