Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another excellent safety's available who wouldn't count against the Bell comp formula

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I wouldn't sign an injured 30 year old Eric Berry to the same contract that Baltimore gave injured 30 year old Earl Thomas.

But a short term "prove it" deal with minimal risk/reward? Even if he couldn't play up to his former standard when healthy, he'd be an excellent mentor for Sean Davis and Terrell Edmunds.
    I'm tired of us scraping the bottom of the barrell all the time. "grumble, grumble"
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I'm tired of us scraping the bottom of the barrell all the time. "grumble, grumble"
    Eric Berry is bottom of the barrel? When healthy, Eric Berry and Earl Thomas were essentially a latter day version of Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed.

Berry was slowed by cancer and leg injuries recently. Sounds kinda like your boyfriend James Conner since he was at Pitt, no?
    Trade 1.20, 3.66, 5.141, & a 3rd round pick in 2020 to BUF for 1.9

1.9 ILB Devin White
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

Trade 2.52, 3.66, 3.83, & 5.141 to SEA for 1.21 & 4.124

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
    1.21 ILB Devin Bush
    4.122 OLB Christian Miller
    4.124 WR David Sills
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

Legend

User Info Menu

When healthy, exactly
    We already had that with Burnett last year
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I wouldn't sign an injured 30 year old Eric Berry to the same contract that Baltimore gave injured 30 year old Earl Thomas.

But a short term "prove it" deal with minimal risk/reward? Even if he couldn't play up to his former standard when healthy, he'd be an excellent mentor for Sean Davis and Terrell Edmunds.
    Yep.

I think just about anyone is worth a cheap one year deal. Just a matter of whether he'd take something like that

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No i don't want him either, I don't want him coming in here and sucking.

I want to think of him as that great safety.

I know but what if he is the back to greatness in 2018 in black and gold.

Wow, now you have me wanting that great safety!
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    No i don't want him either, I don't want him coming in here and sucking.

I want to think of him as that great safety.

I know but what if he is the back to greatness in 2018 in black and gold.

Wow, now you have me wanting that great safety!
    Good job convincing yourself of the opposite of your original argument within 4 sentences.

1.9 ILB Devin White
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
    1.21 ILB Devin Bush
    4.124 WR David Sills
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

His addition to the locker room would be of more value than his contribution on the field. That said, I think it would be worth it for the Steelers to add him to the roster. I agree that Edmonds and Davis would benefit, both in play and attitude.

Legend

User Info Menu

A depth RB option:

Jets release running back Isaiah Crowell

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 14, 2019, 10:07 AM EDT

Once the Jets signed Le'Veon Bell, the next move was very #asexpected.

The team announced this morning they had released running back Isaiah Crowell.

He was signed to a three-year deal last offseason, and $2 million of his salary would have been guaranteed if he was on the roster tomorrow.

Crowell was averaging 4.8 yards per carry before a foot injury sent him to injured reserve, but they found a new guy who has put up even bigger numbers so he became expendable.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/14/jets-release-running-back-isaiah-crowell/

1.9 ILB Devin White
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
    1.21 ILB Devin Bush
    4.124 WR David Sills
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL Free Agency Rumors: Steelers reportedly among the teams interested in Justin Houston

The Pittsburgh Steelers are putting their name in the hat for the services of a veteran free agent pass rusher.

By Jeff.Hartman
    Mar 14, 2019, 2:05pm EDT

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team making moves, and while many fans might think most of their moves are done — you might want to think again.

The Steelers, who have little-to-no salary cap space left, will need to make some moves on their own roster to free up cap space before signing anyone else. This could come in a variety of ways.

•The team could give Ben Roethlisberger the extension everyone has been talking about for weeks now.

•They could also give Bud Dupree a new deal which would lower his $9 million salary cap hit in 2019.

There are other moves which could be made, but if the team were to create some salary cap space, one player who they are at least showing interest in would be former Kansas City Chiefs pass rusher Justin Houston.

#Steelers One of multiple teams interested former #Chiefs edge Rusher Justin Houston. Bud Dupree has never lived up to Draft slot and signing wouldn’t factor into compensatory pick formula.
    — Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) March 14, 2019

While this rumor could just be a rumor, it does beg the question if the price is right should the team attempt to bring in someone like Houston? Houston was released from the Chiefs when they were unable to trade him, largely due to his inflated salary.

The 30 year old defender is coming off a year where he played in just 12 games for the Chiefs, but was still able to rack up 9 sacks in an injury-filled season.

Fans should know the report is stating the Steelers are just showing interest in Houston. Nothing more. There are likely plenty of other teams interested, and at this point it comes down to finances and location Houston prefers.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/14/18265891/nfl-free-agency-rumors-steelers-reportedly-among-the-teams-interested-in-justin-houston-update-news

1.9 ILB Devin White
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
    1.21 ILB Devin Bush
    4.124 WR David Sills
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

Legend

User Info Menu

We always “ showing interest”. Move on everyone. Nothing to see here. We are not going to get into a bidding war for this guy.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.