Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: J. Samuels' role in '19

  1. #21
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Agreed. I do like B.Love - my other RB is Benny Snell; He's a solid all-around runner, particularly between the tackles. One simply does not play for Kentucky and get THOSE kinds of stats in the SEC..
    Props dude for making the call. And I like your reasoning on it. Tearing it up on KU against elite SEC talent should impress.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-27-2019 at 10:06 AM.

  2. #22
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I’m pleased with our RB corps; Samuels has dropped weight and should be even better and Snell seems to have an intangible of real tough physicality at the position that we haven’t had in a while. No disrespect meant to Conner.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

  3. #23
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I like the RBs we have. Also seems like Edmunds' brother is getting people to notice. Clearly top three are Conner, Samuels and Snell. I love Conner as a player and story, but Conner's health issues just scare me though.

  4. #24
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m pleased with our RB corps; Samuels has dropped weight and should be even better and Snell seems to have an intangible of real tough physicality at the position that we haven’t had in a while. No disrespect meant to Conner.
    No disrespect to Snell but I haven’t seen anything on tape that suggest he is as tough or as physical as Conner.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    No disrespect to Snell but I haven’t seen anything on tape that suggest he is as tough or as physical as Conner.
    I've seen him run hard but Connor is going to do much more in thE open field after contact.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    It would be cool to see a two back set, with a TE and two receivers. Defending that will be fun!
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]


    My son's first Kansas Turkey!

  7. #27
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    It would be cool to see a two back set, with a TE and two receivers. Defending that will be fun!
    I never understand when this is suggested it is implied that this would be some tough to defend strategy.

    The entire league did this in the 70s and has moved away from it for a reason.

    You are better served having a dedicated fullback who is a glorified lineman and a single top tier runner than 2 top tier runners who are lesser blockers together.

    I find the notion that "you won't know who will get the ball" silly.

    Defenses tackle the football. We ain't running no option /FB dive/pitch/or keep.

    Franco/ Rocky type tandems where the QB spins and simply hands off to either the first or second guy is LESS difficult than having a pure blocking FB who can take out a linebacker routinely and rotate ball carriers.

    Add in the fact that these are the same kind of runners makes it worse.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.

  8. #28
    Benchwarmer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I never understand when this is suggested it is implied that this would be some tough to defend strategy.

    The entire league did this in the 70s and has moved away from it for a reason.

    You are better served having a dedicated fullback who is a glorified lineman and a single top tier runner than 2 top tier runners who are lesser blockers together.

    I find the notion that "you won't know who will get the ball" silly.

    Defenses tackle the football. We ain't running no option /FB dive/pitch/or keep.

    Franco/ Rocky type tandems where the QB spins and simply hands off to either the first or second guy is LESS difficult than having a pure blocking FB who can take out a linebacker routinely and rotate ball carriers.

    Add in the fact that these are the same kind of runners makes it worse.
    Absolutely.
    Running out of the ďIĒ formation, youíre much better off with a dedicated FB blocking.
    Any other formation a TE is the best option for better blocking and pass catching ability.
    The Pro set, with 2 RBs lining up side-by-side is obviously obsolete in the NFL.

    I still think itís weird that Franco was the FB and Rocky was the HB. Thatís the way it was back then.

  9. #29
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers have big plans for James Conner-Jaylen Samuels tandem

    1:00 AM ET

    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

    PITTSBURGH -- Jaylen Samuels isn't sure when or how he'll share the same backfield with James Conner on game days. Samuels just knows "little two-back sets" are going to happen at some point, and he can't wait to see it.

    "I’m pretty sure it’s going to be something special put into the offense," Samuels said. "They will have us start off in the backfield or I can start out wide or motion out."

    The Pittsburgh Steelers have a proven Pro Bowler and an intriguing change-of-pace option to ignite the post-Le'Veon Bell era in earnest. Conner looks to build on his 1,470-yard performance in his first year as a starter, while Samuels is eager to prove he is more than a versatile pass-catcher.

    One thing missing out of this backfield is elite speed. Neither running back cracked 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash coming out of college. But the offense proved with Bell that speed helps but isn't necessary to thrive, relying on vision and a combination of stretch zone and power running game plans.

    Conner and Samuels fit well into that plan, and coupled with fourth-round pick Benny Snell Jr. and capable veteran Trey Edmunds, the tailback room is getting deep.

    Feeling refreshed after knee and ankle injuries over the past two years, Conner is prepared for a workhorse role, but he wants to see his teammates shine too.

    "I'll have a similar role. I'm healthy, first and foremost; I'm 100 percent healthy now," Conner said in a recent appearance with NFL Network. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. But we have talent in that room. We have Jaylen Samuels, who's a tremendous receiver, a talented runner. We have Benny Snell. We know the work that he did at Kentucky. He's a hard-bodied runner, so all those guys will get touches. It'll be fun this year just seeing those other guys being successful."

    As far as load distribution, all Conner knows is he'll have a big role. The particulars shake out week to week, and there's not a set number of carries for anyone.

    The Steelers typically have embraced the workhorse-back model. In Conner's rookie year, he was second on the team with 32 carries. Not a single No. 2 tailback surpassed 100 carries in a season when Bell played 12 or more games. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman in 2012 comprised the team's last true split attack. DeAngelo Williams thrived when Bell was out of the lineup but didn't play much when Bell was healthy.

    Conner registered 215 carries in 13 games last season, with Samuels behind him at 56. Perhaps more importantly, their combined 81 catches for 696 yards essentially matched Bell's 2017 receiving totals (85 for 655). Bell's ability to get Ben Roethlisberger easy passing yards by slipping through traffic at the line proved lethal for an offense at its best.

    Samuels is a natural pass-catcher, with Roethlisberger noting his soft hands on more than one occasion. But Samuels believes the Steelers want more for him -- as the hiring of his former coach at NC State, Eddie Faulkner, to run the running backs room hints -- and Samuels plans to capitalize.

    Samuels has emphasized speed training for much of the offense, which he hopes will clean up indecision at the line.

    "A lot of guys are fast. It’s all about speed," Samuels said. "If I can build up my speed a little faster, I feel like I’ll be more decisive in and out of my cuts as a pure runner. I feel like I got faster. I can get in and out of my cuts a little bit better. Still have to work on my route running, my overall game."

    Conner has earned the trust of his coaches, and now it's about keeping it. He shrugged off a sluggish rookie year by improving his conditioning, which showed with his bursts through the line. He has a knack for taking the yards available, then taking more.

    But he also isn't assuming anything. He likes the players behind him, and he is eager to watch Snell -- who can "do it all," Faulkner told reporters in June -- in pads.

    Conner makes clear he'll have an edge in year three.

    "In this game, you have to stay on the rise," Conner said. "You're either getting better or worse."

    https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30936/steelers-have-big-plans-for-james-conner-jaylen-samuels-tandem
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

    Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

    We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

    We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

  10. #30
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steelers have big plans for James Conner-Jaylen Samuels tandem

    1:00 AM ET

    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

    PITTSBURGH -- Jaylen Samuels isn't sure when or how he'll share the same backfield with James Conner on game days. Samuels just knows "little two-back sets" are going to happen at some point, and he can't wait to see it.

    "I’m pretty sure it’s going to be something special put into the offense," Samuels said. "They will have us start off in the backfield or I can start out wide or motion out."

    The Pittsburgh Steelers have a proven Pro Bowler and an intriguing change-of-pace option to ignite the post-Le'Veon Bell era in earnest. Conner looks to build on his 1,470-yard performance in his first year as a starter, while Samuels is eager to prove he is more than a versatile pass-catcher.

    One thing missing out of this backfield is elite speed. Neither running back cracked 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash coming out of college. But the offense proved with Bell that speed helps but isn't necessary to thrive, relying on vision and a combination of stretch zone and power running game plans.

    Conner and Samuels fit well into that plan, and coupled with fourth-round pick Benny Snell Jr. and capable veteran Trey Edmunds, the tailback room is getting deep.

    Feeling refreshed after knee and ankle injuries over the past two years, Conner is prepared for a workhorse role, but he wants to see his teammates shine too.

    "I'll have a similar role. I'm healthy, first and foremost; I'm 100 percent healthy now," Conner said in a recent appearance with NFL Network. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. But we have talent in that room. We have Jaylen Samuels, who's a tremendous receiver, a talented runner. We have Benny Snell. We know the work that he did at Kentucky. He's a hard-bodied runner, so all those guys will get touches. It'll be fun this year just seeing those other guys being successful."

    As far as load distribution, all Conner knows is he'll have a big role. The particulars shake out week to week, and there's not a set number of carries for anyone.

    The Steelers typically have embraced the workhorse-back model. In Conner's rookie year, he was second on the team with 32 carries. Not a single No. 2 tailback surpassed 100 carries in a season when Bell played 12 or more games. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman in 2012 comprised the team's last true split attack. DeAngelo Williams thrived when Bell was out of the lineup but didn't play much when Bell was healthy.

    Conner registered 215 carries in 13 games last season, with Samuels behind him at 56. Perhaps more importantly, their combined 81 catches for 696 yards essentially matched Bell's 2017 receiving totals (85 for 655). Bell's ability to get Ben Roethlisberger easy passing yards by slipping through traffic at the line proved lethal for an offense at its best.

    Samuels is a natural pass-catcher, with Roethlisberger noting his soft hands on more than one occasion. But Samuels believes the Steelers want more for him -- as the hiring of his former coach at NC State, Eddie Faulkner, to run the running backs room hints -- and Samuels plans to capitalize.

    Samuels has emphasized speed training for much of the offense, which he hopes will clean up indecision at the line.

    "A lot of guys are fast. It’s all about speed," Samuels said. "If I can build up my speed a little faster, I feel like I’ll be more decisive in and out of my cuts as a pure runner. I feel like I got faster. I can get in and out of my cuts a little bit better. Still have to work on my route running, my overall game."

    Conner has earned the trust of his coaches, and now it's about keeping it. He shrugged off a sluggish rookie year by improving his conditioning, which showed with his bursts through the line. He has a knack for taking the yards available, then taking more.

    But he also isn't assuming anything. He likes the players behind him, and he is eager to watch Snell -- who can "do it all," Faulkner told reporters in June -- in pads.

    Conner makes clear he'll have an edge in year three.

    "In this game, you have to stay on the rise," Conner said. "You're either getting better or worse."

    https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30936/steelers-have-big-plans-for-james-conner-jaylen-samuels-tandem
    They have been talking about this kind of thing for several years now and I have never seen it used yet.

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •