Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: We'll ultimately look back at 3/13/19 as a turning point for this team for the better

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    We don't care about the Saints
    Neither do I; I was making a comparison of another team , with a veteran qb who was going all in before their window closes.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    We don't care about the Saints
    Of course we care about the Saints. They lost a game because of a pass interference that occurred but was not called. How can you not feel horrible about that? The whole nation is watching.

Starter

User Info Menu

The same Saints team that benefited from some horrible calls when playing us?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don’t feel at all “horrible” about the Saints losing on an uncalled pass interference play. The zebras robbed us of two games down the stretch. One was against the Saints and the other was against the Chargers. If we win those two games we’re 11-4-1. You seldom hear anyone even mention it now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    I don’t feel at all “horrible” about the Saints losing on an uncalled pass interference play. The zebras robbed us of two games down the stretch. One was against the Saints and the other was against the Chargers. If we win those two games we’re 11-4-1. You seldom hear anyone even mention it now.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The team could just as easily have been a playoff team and the fact that they did, in fact, beat the team that won it all tells me that they weren't as far off the mark as some like to believe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Schrager Believes ‘Ultimate Experiment Of Team Over Individual’ Will Play Out In Steelers’ Favor In 2019

By Matthew Marczi 

Posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:00 am

At the very least, most commentators seemingly agree with the notion that the Pittsburgh Steelers, pragmatically, had to part ways with former All-Pros, wide receiver Antonio Brown and running back Le’Veon Bell. Both of them grew into malcontents and a future relationship with either reached a point at which it seemed to untenable.

There is far more disagreement about the state of the Steelers in the post-Killer-Bs landscape, with some—see Peter King, for example—believing that they are in for a nosedive with the drop in talent, while others believe that the team-over-individual approach will work in their favor and help them return to the postseason, leaving 2018 as an aberration.

You can include Pete Schrager in the latter category, as he explained at length in a recent Good Morning Football segment. “The 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers will be better than the 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers”, he began.

No Le’Veon Bell. No Antonio Brown.@PSchrags says it’s all going to be okay in Pittsburgh, and the @steelers are going to be better in 2019 than they were in 2018. pic.twitter.com/h467JacNqQ

— GMFB (@gmfb) May 10, 2019
    “Despite the losses of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell, I think this team is finally a unified core, and I feel like now they are all in together. Think about what they did last year. They were 9-6-1 with a locker room that was completely ripped from the core and fighting with each other publicly, fighting with guys who weren’t in the building, and they had their star player being a malcontent in Week 17”.

Now there is certainly some exaggeration there. At least based on what the players have actually said, there wasn’t this rampant infighting, and in fact right up until the end both Bell and Brown appear to have been well-liked members of the locker room. But nevertheless, there is a point to be made in there.

“I look at it this way. They are all in from day one, and they have young guys who are ready to step up. James Conner [is one of them]. I think James Washington steps up. And I think the biggest star is going to be this man, JuJu Smith-Schuster”, he said. “I feel like year two was a big year for him, he led the team in receptions and yards. I think he goes bonkers in year three as the number one guy”.

“I think the Pittsburgh Steelers, despite all of the tears shed by Steelers fans, despite all of the criticism for the way they handled Le’Veon Bell and Antonio Brown in the front office, I think they’re a better team with getting rid of those two guys and moving on with what they’ve got in the locker room”, Schrager added.

He called it “the ultimate experiment of team over individual”, saying that the Steelers “have chosen team and jersey over individual and last name on the back of the uniform. I think it actually works out well. I think the Steelers are actually better this year despite less star power at those two positions”.

Even that is not entirely true. If anything, this move makes the ‘individual’ even stronger, in that the individual is now even more individually quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. But in contrast to the individualism of Bell and Brown, Roethlisberger, at least ostensibly, puts winning and team first over his own performance, beyond the fact that his performance helps the team win.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/schrager-believes-ultimate-experiment-of-team-over-individual-will-play-out-in-steelers-favor-in-2019/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

true..........
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After the Saints game someone I know was ranting that the game should be replayed. I said "sure, but replay the game in L.A. because had the Saints not beaten the Steelers with the benefit of two bad P.I. calls - and I never heard one New Orleans complaint about that - then the Saints would not have had home field advantage and that game would have been played on the road."

Legend

User Info Menu

It’s great to see so much peace, love and warmth emanating from the Steelers these days

The Steelers seem like a much happier bunch following the offseason departures of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

By Anthony Defeo
    May 20, 2019, 8:55am EDT

Remember when the Pittsburgh Steelers were a circus? It seems like only yesterday, right?

Maybe that’s because it wasn’t so long ago that Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell were the stars of just about every headline related to the Steelers. Even after they left, they were still making noise, at least as it pertained to the shade they were throwing on their former team—namely, the general manager, head coach and quarterback.

It really wasn’t that long ago that I was defending the Steelers on social media while arguing with people—mostly non-fans who supported other franchises—who were laughing at the perceived circus/Dumpster fire/you name it they thought the team had become.

But it’s amazing the difference one day (or a few weeks) can make when changing the perception of a football team.

Maybe it’s my imagination, but don’t the Steelers seem more loving these days? Don’t they seem more joyous? A lot happier? A lot closer?

Instead of negative quotes, images and videos on social media, you’re seeing players yukking it up on the dance floor at Ryan Shazier’s wedding (speaking of joyous, heartwarming and dancing, has there been a better sight in recent weeks than that of Shazier dancing at his own wedding)? Negative rap songs by disgruntled former Steeler running backs have been replaced by terrible singing by happy current linebackers and receivers such as Anthony Chickillo and Ryan Switzer, respectively. Speaking of Switzer, he was recently spotted, along with B.J. Finney, dancing with sick kids at Children’s Hospital’s annual prom. Defensive end Cameron Heyward just celebrated his 30th birthday by hosting kids at his annual “Heyward House Birthday Bash.” Pittsburgh’s defenders were recently in the news for having a spirited cook-off won by defensive end Stephon Tuitt. Ben Roethlisberger just made headlines for inviting his skill position players down to his summer home in Georgia (before you say it, I know he does this with his teammates every year). Alejandro Villanueva and T.J. Watt, a left tackle and a linebacker he probably has to block a lot at training camp, recently went fishing together.

And, last but not least, receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster just continues to do many wonderful things with the world.

Yes, seeing the players so close-knit and happy is wonderful, even if this is behavior they most likely have engaged in in the past (see Roethlisberger’s annual get-togethers with teammates at his summer home). Unfortunately, perception is reality, and with Brown and Bell hogging most of the recent Steelers headlines, there simply wasn’t much oxygen left to allow the good news to emanate from the locker room.

Maybe that’s what head coach Mike Tomlin was trying to convey recently with his “cleansing” comment regarding the departures of both Brown and Bell.

Does this cleansing—this clearing out of all the stuffy, negative air—mean the Steelers will win a championship in 2019? It’s obviously impossible to tell. However, when you see Brown in the headlines for saying goodbye to the murals at his old Pittsburgh home, it makes you realize how, well, “unique” he may have been to deal with in the Steelers locker room. When you see Bell still in the news for perhaps not being fully embraced by new Jets’ head coach Adam Gase, you wonder if controversy will forever be a part of his career (although, in all fairness, it’s kind of hard to blame Le’Veon for that one).

To paraphrase Tomlin regarding Brown’s insubordinate behavior that often included being late to meetings: “We will tolerate his behavior until his play on the field dictates that we shouldn’t.” Obviously, Brown is still very much at the top of his game. And even though he hasn’t played a down since 2017, Bell likely is, too. But this doesn’t mean championships can’t be won without them.

Legendary actor Marlon Brando was notorious for being hard to work with. Same for current actor Christian Bale, who is considered to be one of the most talented at his craft. But that doesn’t mean great movies couldn’t be made without them—Titanic was still a great film, even without Bale, who was in the running to play Jack Dawson before Leo grabbed the part.

Again, the love and joy that has seemingly overtaken the locker room on the South Side may not lead to a title—plenty of close-knit teams come up short every year. But if it does, it sure will make for a great narrative for a future America’s Game film involving the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/5/20/18630535/its-great-to-see-peace-love-and-warmth-emanating-from-the-steelers-these-days-juju-smith-schuster
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not sure we can win a title with this team but if we make the playoffs it’s a step in the right direction.