Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Tate Visiting Monday

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Give Me Tate and perhaps DENNARD from Cincy and I'll be happy
    I thought Dennard was Artie Burns or maybe more like Dupree? Just played on his 5th yr at 8mil. So not any better probably worse the Senseblah.
    Also why has Tate move around so much? Chasing money?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I thought Dennard was Artie Burns or maybe more like Dupree? Just played on his 5th yr at 8mil. So not any better probably worse the Senseblah.
    Also why has Tate move around so much? Chasing money?
    First, Tate was a Seahawk. But he got traded from the Seahawks to the Lions because he had an affair with Russell Wilson's wife.

The Lions traded him after they offered him an extension and he turned it down to hit free agency. So they moved him to the Eagles so they could get something for him instead of him walking and they get nothing.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    First, Tate was a Seahawk. But he got traded from the Seahawks to the Lions because he had an affair with Russell Wilson's wife.

The Lions traded him after they offered him an extension and he turned it down to hit free agency. So they moved him to the Eagles so they could get something for him instead of him walking and they get nothing.
    So Russell keeps the wife and Tate gets punished for 4 yrs up in Detroit??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

No..Russell Wilson divorced his wife because of it; Ciara is his second wife.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's the way WE win Super Bowls. I'm not concerned with what other teams do. Once again, I'm telling you that. I don't predicate what we do on what others do. We are our own standard. But.......if you must compare, notice that the Patriots dominated time of possession offensively and the defense did the job during the playoffs. Same old fashion formula that wins championships more times then not.

This high flying, passing so much offense that we had for the last 8 years got us how many playoff wins? How many championships?
    Please refer to my signature for that information.
    I hope that our FO isn't so short sighted that they try to emulate how we won championships under Noll. It would also be silly for Green Bay to try to win SBs in the same way the Lombardi did. The game evolves over time.

FWIW, here's our Steelers vs the Pats in defensive stats (all from ESPN.com)

Team Yards Yards/Game Pass Pass/Game Rush Rush/Game Pts Pts/Game
    Steelers 5235 327.2 3697 231.1 1538 96.1 360 22.5
    Pats 5746 359.1 3943 246.4 1803 112.7 325 20.3
    Advantage Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Pats Pats

We gave up fewer yards, pass yards, and rush yards than the Pats.

We gave up more points than the Pats, but my guess is that's more about the turnover ratio than strictly defense. I tried to find a link that showed how many points were expected per turnover. This is just a message board, but it says SportingCharts said that the expected amount of points per turnover was ~ 3. "The percentiles were: 2.04pts (10%) - 2.5pts (25%) - 3pts (50%) - 3.5pts (75%) - 4pts (90%)."

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...rs--122024213/

We had 26 giveaways, and they only had 18.

If that's true, we'd expect that the extra 8 turnovers we had accounted for about 24 more points (most of the 35 point difference).

They also had 28 takeaways, and we only had 15. This is certainly an area where the D needs to get better. If we had more takeaways, we'd almost certainly have given up fewer points...not sure how many points a D saves / turnover. If it was also 3, then the difference in takeaways more than makes up for the point difference.

Again, the difference between the Steelers and the final 4 teams this year were too many giveaways, not enough takeaways, and terrible FG kicking.

We need a WR to replace AB, but signing Tate won't really help any of our biggest problems from last year.

Note: Maybe the Pats dominated time of possession because your boy decided he could win the SB with one hand tied behind his back. Not sure why you only run the best back in football 10 times in a close game.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 03-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Banned

User Info Menu

i had to look up 'russel wilson wife'.................holy moley, good for you golden

edit: i saw some girl names ciara whe i makde that first comment
    let me check out the wife....lol

edit: okay, back again
    i checked out the wife, russell upgraded very nicely in this deal..
    Last edited by squidkid; 03-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thank you sir.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So bring Tate in and he might sleep with another player's wife? That would blow up the locker room worse than anything AB ever did.

No thanks.

Banned

User Info Menu

tate for a few million is the only way i would go. way too many needs on defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I hope that our FO isn't so short sighted that they try to emulate how we won championships under Noll. It would also be silly for Green Bay to try to win SBs in the same way the Lombardi did. The game evolves over time.

FWIW, here's our Steelers vs the Pats in defensive stats (all from ESPN.com)

Team Yards Yards/Game Pass Pass/Game Rush Rush/Game Pts Pts/Game
    Steelers 5235 327.2 3697 231.1 1538 96.1 360 22.5
    Pats 5746 359.1 3943 246.4 1803 112.7 325 20.3
    Advantage Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Steelers Pats Pats

We gave up fewer yards, pass yards, and rush yards than the Pats.

We gave up more points than the Pats, but my guess is that's more about the turnover ratio than strictly defense. I tried to find a link that showed how many points were expected per turnover. This is just a message board, but it says SportingCharts said that the expected amount of points per turnover was ~ 3. "The percentiles were: 2.04pts (10%) - 2.5pts (25%) - 3pts (50%) - 3.5pts (75%) - 4pts (90%)."

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...rs--122024213/

We had 26 giveaways, and they only had 18.

If that's true, we'd expect that the extra 8 turnovers we had accounted for about 24 more points (most of the 35 point difference).

They also had 28 takeaways, and we only had 15. This is certainly an area where the D needs to get better. If we had more takeaways, we'd almost certainly have given up fewer points...not sure how many points a D saves / turnover. If it was also 3, then the difference in takeaways more than makes up for the point difference.

Again, the difference between the Steelers and the final 4 teams this year were too many giveaways, not enough takeaways, and terrible FG kicking.

We need a WR to replace AB, but signing Tate won't really help any of our biggest problems from last year.
    win the turnover battle.. how do we do that? get after people on defense...and run the ball more. i hope we draft a stud rb around round 4-5. add him in with golden tate and another mid round wr or 2 and we are solid