Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I don’t think it has to be significant improvement.

Dobbs biggest issue is consistency IMO. I also think he is similar to Cam Newton in that he needs to run once or twice early to get comfortable. The guy has wheels so use them to his advantage.

I agree with you on Mason. If he can’t beat out Dobbs this year he isn’t the answer.
    It could be a kid gloves deal.
    The Steelers aren't going to push him into #2 but at the end of the day.....if you can't show something by Yr 2 one has to question your upside. If yr 3 rolls around and you're still Landry Jones then it's time to move on.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

It will be Rudolph

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think it's been determined yet. Rudolph and Dobbs will battle it out before the season begins, and hopefully one of them will emerge as the clear #2 QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn’t think Rudolph would back up Ben last year, but then again I didn’t see Dobbs taking Jones spot either. That being said I believe that Rudolph will be Bens back up this year.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Practically, I don't think it will matter much because I think we're done if Ben goes down either way.

But I hope it's an honest competition and one of them wins and shows enough that they could be thought of as a competent starter in the NFL. I don't think either has done that yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We all know who we want to back Ben up; but let's just see how it plays out.
    I just want one of them to step up and take it. Doesn't matter to me which one does, as long as one of them truly earns it and proves himself to be a reliable option for us if needed.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I just want one of them to step up and take it. Doesn't matter to me which one does, as long as one of them truly earns it and proves himself to be a reliable option for us if needed.
    I agree.

That said, if Rudolph is truly the first-round talent Colbert & Co. claimed he is, he should be able to able to take command of the backup role before this season begins. If he can't/doesn't do that, it would indicate that the draft capital spent on him last year was wasted, IMO.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I agree.

That said, if Rudolph is truly the first-round talent Colbert & Co. claimed he is, he should be able to able to take command of the backup role before this season begins. If he can't/doesn't do that, it would indicate that the draft capital spent on him last year was wasted, IMO.

You hit it... if he is what Colbert claimed.

Legend

User Info Menu

if he can't beat out dobbs this year for the #2 spot, then the "1st round grade we had on him" was the usual smoke being blown up our ass we hear around draft time

Legend

User Info Menu

What if Rudolph improves his game from his rookie season to year 2, but then Dobbs steps it up even more from year 2 to year 3?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.