Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Would love to have Doyle ( their no.2 ) TE, Don't know if that is asking to much... Ain't getting Ebron... Anybody have any info on the rest
    Mo Alie-Cox (6'5" 267 lbs.) was a kid who signed with the Colts after never playing college football (he was a basketball player at Virginia Commonwealth). The last time he played football before signing with Indy was as a high school freshman. But he spent at little over a year on their practice squad, and had 7 catches for 133 yards and 2 TD's in 9 games (1 start) last season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Mo Alie-Cox (6'5" 267 lbs.) was a kid who signed with the Colts after never playing college football (he was a basketball player at Virginia Commonwealth). The last time he played football before signing with Indy was as a high school freshman. But he spent at little over a year on their practice squad, and had 7 catches for 133 yards and 2 TD's in 9 games (1 start) last season.
    Yes... I've heard of him

Legend

User Info Menu

I would take Mo in a heartbeat. He has unlimited potential.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I would take Mo in a heartbeat. He has unlimited potential.

Sounds and looks like a young Gates, or Gonzalez...I know that's hyperbole... Just talking potential and pyshical traits
    Last edited by Disco1981; 08-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I made a post about him a while back. I’m a VCU alum and this kid is extremely athletic for his size.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin On Rudolph’s 2019 Preseason Play: ‘I Think He’s Taken A Significant Step’

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on August 30, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers three backup quarterbacks all played in the team’s 2019 preseason against the Carolina Panthers and of the three, Mason Rudolph was the most impressive. Rudolph, the team’s first of two third-round draft picks in 2018, completed 7 of his 11 total pass attempts for 125 yards and a touchdown after relieving starter Joshua Dobbs in the second quarter.

After the game, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked if he was happy with what he saw out of Rudolph not only Thursday night, but during the entire preseason.

“Largely, yes,” Tomlin said. “You know, as a second-year guy, like we’ve asked all second-year guys, I think he’s taken a significant step not only in consistency and production, but just awareness and communication; overall, general readiness. Like a lot of the second-year guys, I thought he came in physically ready from a conditioning standpoint. He carried that knowledge of last year’s journey. So, it’s been a good process for him.”

Tomlin was asked if he was ready to announce Rudolph’s place on the quarterback depth chart with the preseason now over and he said that he wasn’t.

Rudolph seemed generally happy with his play Thursday night after the game was over.

“I was pleased by the way we all played tonight,” Rudolph said. “I thought we moved the ball pretty well up and down the field, you know, we got in the end zone the one time. But there’s always going to be, you know, positives and negatives once you watch the film. So, we’ll do that tomorrow.”

For the preseason, Rudolph completed 28 of his 43 total pass attempts for 368 yards. He threw four touchdowns and one interception. As for Dobbs, who started two games to Rudolph’s one during the preseason, he ended the four-game exhibition schedule completing just 18 of his 33 total pass attempts for 280 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions.

While Dobbs seemingly entered the preseason as the Steelers backup to starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Rudolph will more than likely enter the 2019 regular season as second on the depth chart. However, after Thursday’s preseason finale Rudolph wasn’t about to anoint himself the winner of the battle against Dobbs.

“You know, that’s a coaching decision,” Rudolph said when asked if he thought he deserved to be the team’s backup quarterback based on his preseason play. “I don’t have any say in that. So, I tried to control what I could control. These OTAs and offseason workouts and training camp, it’s been a long, long, long season without football. It’s a long offseason, but, you know, I thought I tried to put my best foot forward and we’ll see what, you know, the coaches think. So, not my decision.”

We should know by Tuesday afternoon what the quarterback depth chart will be for Week 1 and it will be surprising if Rudolph is not listed as Roethlisberger’s backup.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/to...nificant-step/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thinking outside the box here, going to get slammed here.

While everyone is thinking of trading Dobbs, could we be actually trading Rudolf for a 1st or maybe high 2nd ala Jimmy G? The kid is good, but he is just going to be back up to Ben for another 2-3 years, and we will Probably lose him in FA. We can develop the Duck or Dobbs, or even go out and sign a vet QB who is going to get cut for 2nd qb. ( Oswald)

Let's face it if Ben goes down ( knock on wood) do we have a shot with Rudolf? ( As i was writting this, I am actually thinking yes.) But would it be worth the gamble for a 1st or 2nd.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Thinking outside the box here, going to get slammed here.

While everyone is thinking of trading Dobbs, could we be actually trading Rudolf for a 1st or maybe high 2nd ala Jimmy G? The kid is good, but he is just going to be back up to Ben for another 2-3 years, and we will Probably lose him in FA. We can develop the Duck or Dobbs, or even go out and sign a vet QB who is going to get cut for 2nd qb. ( Oswald)

Let's face it if Ben goes down ( knock on wood) do we have a shot with Rudolf? ( As i was writting this, I am actually thinking yes.) But would it be worth the gamble for a 1st or 2nd.
    its a shame that we have 35 million tied up in Ben... when you think of the players we will lose next year due to not having the money to extend them. Im thinking we would have been better off signing all of those guys and taking our chances with Rudolph.

Legend

User Info Menu

im sure ill get blasted for that.. but its widely known that youve got a leg up on the competition if youve got a solid qb on a rookie contract.. and a stout supporting cast... just sayin its a worthy discussion