Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we ultimately trade Dobbs to Carolina and keep Rudolph as QB and Hodges as QB3.

The Panthers play us in the 4th preseason game every year, so they had a front row seat for the game in which Dobbs won the backup job over Landry Jones last year.

It would give them a backup option whose game is stylistically similar to Cam Newton, so they wouldn't have to completely change their offense if Cam goes down injured again.

And it allows them to give rookie draft pick Will Grier from WVU an opportunity to marinate and learn as their #3 this year rather than being counted on to the be the primary backup right away for a QB who is coming off surgery last season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dobbs doesn't seem to have improved from year 2 and remains very inconsistent. I was hoping he would continue to make strides in being a solid QB that we could use as a backup or even starter after Ben retires. Rudolph, on the other hand, has made the big improvement since last year. I'm surprised at how poised he is in the pocket and how accurate his throws have been. Hopefully that will be the case if he gets in a game that counts. "Duck Dynasty" is the feel good story of camp this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team and Dobbs gets shipped off elsewhere. I thought last week against Tampa was a fluke but he looked poised and accurate again this week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Randy Fichtner Breaks Down The Rudolph Vs Dobbs Battle

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on August 21, 2019

Mike Tomlin framed it as an ongoing battle.

And Randy Fichtner provided the update.

Speaking with Steelers.com’s Missi Matthews, Fichtner gave his evaluation of Mason Rudolph and Josh Dobbs.

“They’re both different types of quarterbacks,” Fichtner explained. “Josh is very mobile and he’s not afraid to break it down with his legs. He’s made some really big plays for us.”

Dobbs’ mobility is unique for a quarterback and he’s already dazzled when pulling the ball down. His 49 yards rushing on three carries makes him the leader in rushing yards through two games. But Dobbs doesn’t look to exclusively run either. He’s shown the ability to hang in the pocket and run only when he has to, not at the first sign of trouble.

Fichtner then discussed Rudolph’s progression in that critical Year One to Year Two jump.

“Mason’s done a nice job improving on pocket passing, pocket movement, delivery of the football and making better decisions. I told him in the beginning protecting the ball will be as important as anything.”

Nowhere was Rudolph’s pocket presence more evident than this 3rd down completion to Xavier Grimble Saturday night. The slide to his left to avoid the blitzing DB, buying enough time to get the ball out.

Fichtner echoed what Tomlin said, that it’s still an open battle, and they have let both guys know that from the start of the year.

“I think they have really done a good job in the competition. They help each other too. They’re good professionals. They’re both trying to get better for the good of the Pittsburgh Steelers first and for themselves second. I’m proud of that.”

Despite Tomlin downplaying his performance, Rudolph seems to have the advantage right now for the #2 spot. But Dobbs has always made strong pushes for the roster at the end of the year. It wasn’t until his impressive performance against Carolina a year ago that he cemented his spot, bumping Landry Jones off the roster. Of course, he’ll have to hold off Devlin Hodges. Hodges has played as well as you can expect from a UDFA 4th stringer.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/ra...medium=twitter

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

as much as I've said about Dobbs not having the making of an NFL QB, he a a really good human being

comes back to knoxville and does charity work and represents the steelers with alot of class

good young man

Legend

User Info Menu

2019 Steelers Training Camp Recap: Quarterback

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on August 20, 2019

For the rest of the preseason, we’ll give a recap, position-by-position, player-by-player of what I saw during the 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers training camp and preseason games. Let’s start with QBs.

Ben Roethlisberger: Ho-hum, another great camp from #7. It’s cliche, I know, but Roethlisberger seriously looked like he was in great shape and really taken care of his body as he nears the big 4-0. His numbers were excellent across the board and intangibly, he was a leader on the practice field. Going over routes with receivers, talking with his fellow quarterbacks, and rising up after the passing of Darryl Drake. He did, and again, this is pretty trite and cliche, seemed to have a lot of fun this time around. Maybe that’s something to do with not having to worry about Antonio Brown. Maybe it’s a guy realizing he only has two or three training camps left. Either way, good August for him.

Camp Grade: A

Devlin Hodges: Hello, Mr. Hodges. This battle for the #3 spot remains ongoing, it won’t be decided until after the preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers. We knew Hodges had some talent but he’s exceeded every expectation, perhaps over his own, and is making a serious push to make the team as the #3 quarterback, edging out Dobbs. I love his mentality. He’ll chuck it deep time and time again, a big arm with timing and accuracy.

But there’s an uncommon efficiency to his game too. His 71.8% completion rate was the highest I’ve seen in the six years I’ve tracked camp stats and he didn’t make many reckless decisions. His exchanges with centers and running backs have been clean and he’s shown enough of an understanding of the offense to avoid typical rookie mistakes (re-huddling, clear miscommunication, delay of games, sans one early against Tampa). He’s met every challenge the team has thrown at him and there’s nothing more he could be doing right now to state his case. Now it’s just about being consistent and strain across the finish line. What a performance.

Camp Grade: A

Mason Rudolph: Now we get into the players who had a lot on the line. Rudolph got off to a good – not great – start, faded a bit towards the end of the first grind of camp (nine practices in ten days) but hit his stride at the end and began to show separation for the #2 spot during the Kansas City Chiefs game. He doesn’t have the biggest arm but his accuracy and placement on his deep ball is impressive and there’s zip and aggression on intermediate throws. I did want to see him push the ball downfield more, his sub 8 yards per completion was by far the worst of the four but he began airing it out later in camp.

He’s showing more confidence and poise in the pocket which is actually making him more mobile and able to extend the play. No longer is he the sitting duck who got sacked seven times last preseason. Overall, I’ve seen him take a step forward. Maybe not a leap but a step and that’s good for his – and the front office’s – confidence.

Camp Grade: B

Josh Dobbs: Dobbs got off to the rockiest start possible, completion 40% of his passes over the first four practices. He found his groove and got things going the rest of the way but his accuracy still frustrated, both in practice and in-game. The number of “gimmie” throws he missed this summer is maddening and a recurring problem for him. Which especially sucks because he has every other tool in his belt. The arm, the mobility, the decision-making, the toughness, the intangibles and leadership. He’s made some great plays at Latrobe and Heinz Field.

But if you don’t have accuracy, you don’t have much of a chance. On a yearly basis, he finishes at the bottom in completion percentage in camp. This year was his worst, 53%.

Camp Grade: C

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...p-quarterback/

Legend

User Info Menu

Giving Hodges an 'A' seems a bit misguided. Yes, he did well when he played, but I wouldn't put his play above average, which is what an A grade is.
    Seriously...ranked the same as Roethlisberger??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Giving Hodges an 'A' seems a bit misguided. Yes, he did well when he played, but I wouldn't put his play above average, which is what an A grade is.
    I think he is saying it’s an A grade for his reps as a #4.

He appears ahead of most 4th QB’s on the roster throughout the NFL right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't see Duck in camp but the author says he has the highest completion percentage in his history of keeping track. That must mean he did well and for a #4 QB that would be outstanding. I think that is why he got the 'A' grade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mason Rudolph doesn’t read anything into being second QB on Sunday night

Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2019, 11:39 AM EDT

The Steelers have been holding a competition for their backup quarterback job this summer and Sunday night’s game against the Titans was the latest data point to take into consideration.

Mason Rudolph followed Ben Roethlisberger into the game and threw a 41-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver James Washington on his second snap. He threw an interception later in the first half and then gave way to Josh Dobbs for the second half of the game. After the game, Rudolph said the order wasn’t a sign of how the competition is playing out.

“We switch it up every week, so I don’t read anything into it,” Rudolph said, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “When I am out there, I want to produce and do well and that’s the stuff I read into.”

Dobbs also threw an interception and now has two in three preseason games. Head coach Mike Tomlin said Dobbs needs to take better care of the ball and that may be more relevant to the question of who will be No. 2 in Pittsburgh this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/mason-rudolph-doesnt-read-anything-into-being-second-qb-on-sunday-night/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

maybe... but, then again.. aren't most of us talking about getting rid of Dobbs?
    Hodges came in as a camp body, who we expected to be cut.
    At the moment, I'm thinking he makes the team, even if they can't find a trade partner for Dobbs.

If you come into camp and beat out the guy who came in as the backup AND do well enough to hold a roster spot on the 53 - that's an A
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!