Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Nice pass from Hodges to Diontae Johnson for a TD late ... I thought Johnson muffed the catch, but the officials upheld it upon review.

better catch then throw. throw was a short but DJ went and got it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I watched the whole game and was curious about the headscratching throws?
    Besides the Dobbs pick i dont recall many terrible decisions
    Im right there with ya... but I only got to watch the first half. I thought Rudolph played pretty well actually. I think the "All they'll ever be is backups talk" is a bit premature. Rudolph definitely looks like he's elevated his game since last year. That throw he had to Washington on the post route was a thing of beauty.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rudolph, Dobbs and Hodges are going to be on an NFL roster this year, they are all playing well. Rudolph in particular looks very good, he has pocket presence, throws a very catchable ball, went through his reads when #1 option was covered, of course, a couple errant throws but that's mechanical, not mental. I like what I'm seeing from him, at this point, IMO, Dobbs and Hodges are fighting for QB #3 and the other will find a spot on a roster.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Im right there with ya... but I only got to watch the first half. I thought Rudolph played pretty well actually. I think the "All they'll ever be is backups talk" is a bit premature. Rudolph definitely looks like he's elevated his game since last year. That throw he had to Washington on the post route was a thing of beauty.
    We might eventually have Rudolph (or Dobbs) start after Ben leaves, but I don't think they'll be above average NFL QBs.

But that's also just betting the chalk since it's super hard to be an above average QB.

I hope I'm wrong. I guess I was just hoping that one of them would play well enough to be an obvious heir apparent and I don't think we're there (yet).

Legend

User Info Menu

Is the consensus that Mason Rudolph won the back up job this weekend????

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Rudolph would certainly get my vote based on what I've seen in the 2 pre-season games. At this point, I would be shocked if he wasn't the backup.

Dobbs flashes but then he'll go and make an easy throw look difficult. Head-scratching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I think he won the job during the Raiders game last year. I saw enough of Dobbs in that game to know he doesn't have it and never will.

I think this is one of the first times we've had 2 quality backup QBs on the roster in Mason and Delvin. I hope we keep them both and they both improve by the time Ben is done.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would not say that he has won the job. I would say that he has moved into position as the number two currently, but has not set himself apart enough to declare the competition over.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I would not say that he has won the job. I would say that he has moved into position as the number two currently, but has not set himself apart enough to declare the competition over.
    Mason hasn't set the offense on fire but Dobbs has lost the #2 IMO. By now, there should be a LOT more consistency. He makes certain easy throws look difficult. And that's not good.

If I had to bet $1,000 on who get's #2, I wouldn't even hesitate to say it's absolutely Rudolph. I will be shocked if it's anyone else at this point. And I won't be surprised at all if Hodges is #3. He looks so much more comfortable as a passer.

Backup

User Info Menu

Mason is the long term fix for Bens replacement. Dobbs is no doubt a great athlete but they don't last long in the NFL. If we keep 3 QB's I'm for letting Dobbs go.