Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I guess it’s still Dobbs job to lose right now. I’ll be on the road during the game. Hopefully there is a replay later that night.
    it's being shown on NFL Network, you should just tape it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah. I have the NFL app so I should be able to peak in if my wife is driving.

We don’t have cable so there is no way to tape it. Hopefully I can catch a late night replay once we get to the beach and put the kids down.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wait....Who is to say that Ben is the starter?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Duck Butter: Hi Gerry-love the chats! Which quarterback do you anticipate getting the lion's share of the reps Friday night? Any word who will run first team? Thanks

Gerry Dulac: Josh Dobbs will start and Mason Rudolph will replace him

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908070088
    Hold on a minute!.... it's not just a 2 man race for backup QB; seems Hodges is turning enough heads in camp that he will get some PT on Friday:

Undrafted Steelers rookie QB Devlin Hodges draws rave reviews
    Chris Adamski
    CHRIS ADAMSKI | Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:09 p.m.
    EMAIL NEWSLETTERS
    TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.

40 minutes ago

As Devlin Hodges spoke to reporters after practice Wednesday at Saint Vincent, a pair of rookie teammates laughed and made loud quacking noises as they walked past.

Hodges didn’t miss a beat, remaining undeterred, similar to a quarterback patiently staying on his reads while pass-rushers approach.

It takes a lot more than that to ruffle the feathers of this “Duck.”

About an hour earlier, Hodges dropped a ball with velocity into the waiting arms of sprinting receiver Johnny Holton about 50 yards downfield during an 11-on-11 drill.

The throw was anything but a wobbly, poorly thrown ball, one some might refer to as a “wounded duck.”

Hodges, the Steelers’ undrafted rookie quarterback, wants to emphasize his nickname has nothing to do with the latter.

“It’s definitely not because I throw ducks,” Hodges said, explaining it was because he won a national duck-calling contest a decade ago. “Lots of times as a QB, if your nickname’s Duck, that’s usually not a good thing.

“But I’ve come to realize I think it’s something that fits me.”

Call Hodges whatever you want, but he is making a name for himself at Steelers camp. Signed off a tryout at rookie minicamp in May after leading NCAA Division I in passing yards per game as a senior at Samford, the 6-foot-1 Hodges is turning heads and raising eyebrows of teammates, coaches and observers.

As coach Mike Tomlin indicated when asked about Hodges on Wednesday, he’s not your regular old, disposable “fourth camp arm.”

“We liked him in the rookie minicamp, and he actually did a really nice job,” offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner said. “We’ve increased his reps out here, and it hasn’t been too big for him. He obviously throws a lot of completions.”

Most No. 4 quarterbacks land on the roster for no other reason than because somebody has to throw the passes and take the snaps so everybody else on both sides can get their reps. The likes of Bart Houston and Dustin Vaughan and Brendon Kay were so forgettable that oftentimes, they did not even earn snaps in preseason games.

Not so with Hodges, whom the Steelers are planning to play in Friday’s preseason opener at home against Tampa Bay.

“He’ll get a chance in the preseason, and we’re kind of excited with where he’s at,” Fichtner said.

Said Tomlin: “That is the intention. Man, he’s been deserving of the opportunity.”

Hodges already has earned plenty of practice reps in camp, a rarity for the Steelers with their No. 4 quarterback. It’s especially impressive this year, with Josh Dobbs and Mason Rudolph in a battle to be Ben Roethlisberger’s top backup.

Hodges has run the offense during practice-opening 2-point conversation simulations twice over the past five days, and he has been deployed during situational 11-on-11 play, too.

“The moments out here,” Tomlin said, “haven’t been too big for him.”

Every time the Steelers give Hodges an extra responsibility, he has looked comfortable. That doesn’t surprise Fichtner after Hodges totaled 14,566 passing yards in college.

So why wasn’t Hodges more heralded? The stigma of stat-collecting in a spread offense, a lack of ideal size and the small-school pedigree did him no favors come draft time.

But Hodges already has “punched well beyond his weight class” at camp, and he’ll soon get his first chance to show his stuff in an NFL game.

“I feel like a lot of guys on the team respect me, and they get pretty fired up when I get in there,” Hodges said, “and I think that’s all part of (being an effective quarterback).

“It’s definitely going to be a new experience for me, being able to play for an NFL team in an NFL stadium. I’m looking forward to it. … To me, that’s the biggest thing: I always notice I do better when I’m just out there having fun. And that’s the thing I think I have done well this camp is really enjoying and having fun.”

https://triblive.com/sports/undrafte...-rave-reviews/

Legend

User Info Menu

Hodges is pushing some folks. Love it.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

With quarterback Dosh Dobbs starting Steelers' first preseason game, Mason Rudolph said recently he wouldn't be surprised if all three backups, including Devlin Hodges, start a preseason game. "Probably somewhat like lsat year but I don't care, I'm ready to play and execute," he said.

18h
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Wait....Who is to say that Ben is the starter?
    Hahaha... if this were real it would either mean Ben has really really regressed or we have a stable of HOF qbs to choose from lol.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be funny/odd/exciting if Hodges eventually took over for Ben in a few years? You just never know who's going to pan out.

I like reading the articles that talk about him energizing things when he's getting the practice reps. I wish I heard more of that about Rudolph.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Hodges is pushing some folks. Love it.
    Bye bye Dobbs

Legend

User Info Menu

Hodges gives me Bubby flashbacks. Steeler QB's shouldn't wear #6.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.