Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben and the Ben-nets!
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Rudolph Ready To Duel Dobbs All Summer For Right To Backup Roethlisberger In 201

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 28, 2019

Who will be the Pittsburgh Steelers No. 2 quarterback in 2019? Last year that designation went to Joshua Dobbs all season as the team’s 2017 fourth-round draft pick out of Tennessee played well enough during training camp and the preseason to beat out former longtime backup Landry Jones and then-rookie Mason Rudolph, the team’s first of two third-round draft picks over a year ago. Rudolph, however, indicated after Tuesday’s OTA practice that he and Dobbs will be competing during the remainder of the offseason for the right to backup starter Ben Roethlisberger this year.

“I don’t see myself being No. 1 this year, so that would be the next-best opportunity,” Rudolph said Tuesday about battling this summer to be Roethlisberger’s backup in 2019, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m taking every single day and just competing against myself and the guys around us. Everyone makes everyone better.”

Rudolph announcing that he and Dobbs will be battling the remainder of the offseason to be Roethlisbetgfers backup isn’t overly surprising, however. The more surprising thing will be Rudolph not ultimately beating out Dobbs to be the No. 2. After all, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has referenced the Steelers having a first-round grade on Rudolph ever since he was drafted.

Rudolph’s rookie season consisted of him being inactive for all 16 games after a preseason that included him completing 24 of his 44 total pass attempts for 315 yards with 3 touchdowns and an interception that was returned for a touchdown. He also was sacked 7 times last year during the preseason and fumbled 3 times. After starting the season as the team’s No.3 quarterback behind Roethlisberger and Dobbs, Rudolph went on to mostly run the Steelers scout teams during regular season practices.

While Dobbs easily had the better preseason showing last year, his limited play last year during the regular season left a lot to be desired outside of one play. After competing a 3rd and 22 pass for a first down against the Baltimore Ravens after subbing in for one play for a temporarily injured Roethlisberger, Dobbs really struggled the next time he was asked to relive the Steelers starting quarterback during meaningful playing time.

When Roethlisberger was injured late in the first half of the Steelers Week 14 road game against the Oakland Raiders, Dobbs relieved him for several series on his way to registering just 4 completions for 24 yards on 9 total pass attempts with an interception. In those four possessions that Dobbs quarterbacked prior to Roethlisberger ultimately returning to the game in the fourth quarter, the Steelers offense registered all of 64 net yards and no points scored. The Steelers went on to lose that game to the Raiders 24-21.

Should Rudolph be unable to unseat Dobbs for the backup job this summer, his selection in the third-round of the 2018 NFL Draft will be viewed by many as being totally worthless and especially with that pick coming just one year after Dobbs was selected in the fourth-round.

For what it’s worth, and as you would likely expect, Rudolph made sure to dedicate a lot of time this offseason to the Steelers playbook in an effort to make sure he gives himself the best shot at overtaking Dobbs on the quarterback depth chart this summer.

“It allowed me about four months of deep dives and conversations with the coaching staff, hitting them up and studying. I enjoy that stuff,” Rudolph said Tuesday, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I can kind of get into a little bit of a nerd mentality in the offseason. It’s fun studying.”

The Steelers first preseason game of 2019 will take place 10 weeks from Thursday and it will be interesting to see if it’s Dobbs or Rudolph that ultimately starts that contest against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as Roethlisberger will likely sit that contest out.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ru...erger-in-2019/

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph says he's gotten ‘a lot' more first-team reps this year than last when Ben Roethlisberger gets rest, isn't concerned with how long he might need to wait to play meaningful snaps:

1h
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Thanks Hawaiian.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Rudolph Talks About Getting First-Team OTA Reps; Why He’s Looking Forward To Training Camp

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on June 6, 2019

A year ago during the Pittsburgh Steelers OTA practices then-rookie quarterback Mason Rudolph was buried on the positional depth chart behind Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs and thus his reps were likely not only few and far between, but also mainly with the third-string unit. This year, however, Rudolph, the Steelers first of two 2018 third-round draft picks, is getting a lot more reps in OTAs and even quite a few with the first-team offense. At the conclusion of the team’s 2019 OTA practices on Thursday, Rudolph was first asked how it feels to have this particular portion of the offseason over with.

“Well, I still got three [practices] to go, but OTAs were great,” Rudolph said, per audio provided by 93.7 The Fan. “I mean, we still got three more that we’ll spend a little more time in the building, which will be nice to have the meeting after practice. But, yeah, it was great. I thought I improved a lot, just comfortability. A lot of receivers making plays out here, a lot of new faces. So, we got a lot of reps down, valuable reps, that’ll kind of give us a primer before we head to Latrobe. So, looking forward to it.”

Rudolph was also asked on Thursday how much more time he’s received this year in OTAs with the first-team offense as opposed to a year ago.

“Yeah, I mean, a lot more,” Rudolph said. “Just Randy [Fichtner] feels more comfortable with me and my knowledge and that I’m going to go in there and run the play and execute. And I think that’s just what happens in year-two. So, it’s been great. It’s awesome to be in with those first guys and very valuable.”

So, just how valuable are those first-team reps to Rudolph?

“Oh, it’s great. You know, it’s awesome,” Rudolph said. “It’s just, you know, it’s different faces and especially the number one o-line, it’s good to hang out with them for a change and kind of get in the huddle with those guys. They’re always fun and fun to be around. So, that was good. But, you know, whoever you’re getting reps with out here, you got a chance to maximize your rep every single day and that’s the way I look at it.”

Rudolph also made it known after Thursday’s practice that he indeed does compare what he knows this year to what he did and didn’t know a year ago.

“Yeah, you always compare, yes,” Rudolph said. “It’s always been my motto, let’s be not just a little bit better, but like huge strides from the previous year. Whether it was high school or college, and that’s what I’ve done this year. And I think just from a protection standpoint and general knowledge of the offense operation, kind of coaching, helping guys that are new. I’m the veteran now, even though I’m only a year in, but I feel like just general knowledge is a hundred times better than it was last year.”

While Rudolph might compare his own growth from last year to this year, he doesn’t compare himself and what he does during practice to what the other quarterback he’s competing against this summer for the right to back up Roethlisberger in 2019, Dobbs, who ultimately beat out Jones last year during training camp and the preseason for the No,. 2 job.

“No, I think, to be honest, I’ve always been a big believer in being the best version of yourself,” Rudolph said. “Competing, looking at yourself in the mirror, being a lot better than you were the day before. And I think anytime, you know, I mean, in college, I was trying to compete against the guys and I was the clear-cut starter. So, that’s never going to disappear. We we’re playing the trashcan drill today and I’m trying to beat Ben as best I can and throw them in the bucket. And I think I might have. But anyways, we all compete against each other, we love each other and we have fun.”

So, if Rudolph doesn’t measure himself to the other quarterbacks on the roster, how does he measure himself? well, in general, he views that as someone else’s job to do.

“You know, I think that’s up to the coaches and the people in our building,” Rudolph said. “But personally, I feel I thought I threw the ball very well. I took care of the ball, you know, barely any turnovers and, you know, especially in the red zone. That was an emphasis for myself. you know, speed everything up in the red zone, make sure our ball placement’s good. We’re giving guys a chance to make plays. So, I thought I did that and was accurate.”

Later in Thursday’s interview, Rudolph was asked to disclose what all he focused on improving during the offseason.

“You got to do everything,” Rudolph said. “That’s the funny thing, is you had all this time, you know, this is the first time you had like four months off and you got to be able to manage it well and spend a little bit of time in the playbook and the rule book, even. Obviously throwing, working on little things, footwork, timing.

“Trying to get around other guys in other cities during the offseason, Finding where they’re at, where their vacationing at. So, it was fun. I think I couldn’t put one thing on it, but there’s a little bit everything. Studying in the book, staying in touch with the coaching staff and asking questions every once in a while. Not being a teacher’s pet, but legitimate questions if you have some.”

When asked what players he was able to work with this past offseason, Rudolph named now-former Steelers wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and second-year running back Jaylen Samuels, because like himself, he’s from the Charlotte, North Carolina area.

Next week the Steelers will conduct their annual mandatory minicamp and then the team’s training camp in Latrobe will get underway roughly five weeks later. While Rudolph is looking forward to the three practices that will take place next week, he’s really looking forward to participating in his second training camp even more and for a lot of different reasons.

“I’m just excited to get to Latrobe, second time around,” Rudolph said Thursday. “You know how everything works. It’s going to be a hundred times better and yeah, it’s just going to be fun to throw the ball and have real practice. I keep getting kind of pissed, you know, they’re dropping eight a lot because we can’t run, we’re not running the ball in these periods. So, you get frustrated and you’re having to check calls down, but you got to play that game. And then you get to Latrobe and you can finally put the pads on, run a little bit, get some play action flowing, So, that’ll be a lot more better.”

If you’re like me, you’re really looking forward to watching the training camp between Rudolph and Dobbs take place later this summer. It figures to be a great one and one that many, and that includes myself, expect Rudolph to ultimately win.

Rudolph was inactive for all 16 games during his rookie season after completing 24 of his 44 total passing attempts for 315 yards and 3 touchdowns and an interception during the preseason.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ru...training-camp/

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' Mason Rudolph making most of first-team reps

1:00 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

Quarterback Mason Rudolph might not play extended snaps for a few years, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are expediting the learning curve, and Rudolph is responding.

Rudolph, a 2018 third-round pick competing with Josh Dobbs for the No. 2 quarterback job behind Ben Roethlisberger, said after OTAs that he's getting "a lot" more first-team reps in practices than a year ago.

The Steelers like to rotate quarterbacks in efforts to get Roethlisberger -- who signed a three-year, $85-million extension in April -- more rest.

"(Offensive coordinator) Randy (Fichtner) feels more comfortable with me and my knowledge," Rudolph said. "I'm going to go in there and run the play and execute."

Rudolph looks more comfortable and in command in year two. Despite a few forced throws, Rudolph has maintained good accuracy. He spent part of his offseason tracking down receivers for passing sessions -- he found Darrius Heyward-Bey and Jaylen Samuels -- and texting questions to coaches.

"Second time around, you know how it works and it’s going to be 100 times better," Rudolph said of his second training camp in late July. "Just going to be fun to throw the ball, have real practices. ... You’ve got to do everything. ... You've got to be able to manage (time) well, spend time in the playbook, the rulebook even.”

Rudolph stresses he isn't concerning himself with two things: a quarterback competition, and his future outlook in light of Roethlisberger's extension.

He knows the preseason will largely determine who backs up Roethlisberger, and he plans to make his most compelling argument, without thinking about the race itself.

"I’ve always been a big believer in being the best version of yourself and competing," Rudolph said. "Looking at yourself in the mirror, being a lot better than you were before. ... (Competition) is never going to disappear. We all compete against each other and love each other and we have fun."

Doing the math is easy: Roethlisberger and Rudolph have contracts that expire in 2022. Whether Roethlisberger plays out his new deal can complicate Rudolph's future. The Steelers believed Rudolph was one of the best quarterbacks in the 2018 class and want to crystallize the project.

This is math Rudolph refuses to complete, opting to play for the moment.

"I focus on preparing like I’m the starter every week, knowing you’re one play away," Rudolph said.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30857/steelers-mason-rudolph-making-most-of-first-team-reps
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Motivated backups can only be a good thing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a tough thing though because I would like to see Roethlisberger play more this preseason to get in tune with the new guys, but I also want to see Rudolph and Dobbs in real game action....

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger Thinks Both His Backups Are ‘More Comfortable’ This Offseason

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on June 11, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 mandatory minicamp got underway on Tuesday and with three weeks’ worth of OTA practices now in the books, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked to comment on the progress he’s seen made by several offensive players so far this offseason and that includes his backups, Joshua Dobbs and Mason Rudolph.

“I think more comfortable,” Roethlisberger said when asked about the progress he’s seen Dobbs and Rudolph both make since this same time last offseason. “Especially Mason. You know, obviously your first year you’re head’s probably spinning a little bit trying to learn things. You see him settling into it a lot, understanding, not afraid to step up to whatever group, to whatever receiver. I think in the past you might’ve felt a little hesitancy to throw to certain guys and now they’re stepping in, ready to go.”

As for Dobbs, who served as Roethlisberger’s backup all of last season, he received a favorable review from the Steelers starter as well.

“And Josh just continues to grow,” Roethlisberger said of Dobbs, who is now in his third season in the NFL. “A guy that’s definitely more understanding and more comfortable in this offense. And so it’s fun to watch them grow.”

None of Roethlisberger’s progress reports on his two backups are overly surprising as both should definitely have made jumps from this same time a year ago. Both are obviously getting a better quality of reps this year and that includes both working some with the first-team offense.

Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner, who also still functions as the team’s primary quarterbacks coach, might talk some on Tuesday as well and if he does, it will be interesting to hear him possibly talking more about the progress he’s seen from Dobbs and Rudolph so far this offseason.

This year’s training camp battle between Dobbs and Rudolph figures to be a very good one with the latter expected by many to overtake the former on the depth chart between now and the team’s bye week. In the meantime, Roethlisberger saying Tuesday that both seem a lot more comfortable this offseason is yet another thing to be excited about before the team takes an extended break before the start of training camp in Latrobe in late July.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ro...his-offseason/