Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will back up Big Ben this year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    if he can't beat out dobbs this year for the #2 spot, then the "1st round grade we had on him" was the usual smoke being blown up our ass we hear around draft time
    Boom.........
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    What if Rudolph improves his game from his rookie season to year 2, but then Dobbs steps it up even more from year 2 to year 3?
    This is a real possibility. In this moment, itís Dobbsí job to lose. Itís possible that they both play well. Rudolph could even slightly outplay Dobbs and Dobbs retains #2 due to an extra year of experience. That would not necessarily be a knock on Rudolph.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rudolph to Thompson.

Going to be a lot of preseason reps for those two.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Rudolph to Thompson.

Going to be a lot of preseason reps for those two.
    Did we re-sign Weegie and I didn't hear about it?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Did we re-sign Weegie and I didn't hear about it?
    Ben is always clamoring for a tall WR

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ben is always clamoring for a tall WR
    Hall of Fame safety Ronnie Lott gushes when he talks about Thompson. In Thompson's rookie season, 1984, the Steelers were the only team to beat the 49ers. One reason they did was by assigning Thompson to block Lott on every play. "He blocked my butt all day -- and fair," Lott remembered. "Every play, he came after me. And I respect the hell out of Weegie Thompson to this day. He's one of the toughest guys I ever played against."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weegie_Thompson
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    This is a real possibility. In this moment, itís Dobbsí job to lose. Itís possible that they both play well. Rudolph could even slightly outplay Dobbs and Dobbs retains #2 due to an extra year of experience. That would not necessarily be a knock on Rudolph.
    Nah, I think the opposite is true.
    If they are even, it will go to Mason.

If two guys are in a race and one has a head start, if they are an even dead heat 3/4 through.......go with the guy who came from behind......he is likely better

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Cap, if it’s close , Rudolph gets the nod. They used a fairly high pick on him and when ready, want him active on Sundays to get that growth and exposure he needs.

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree with that line of thought as well. I think Rudolph is viewed as having higher potential to take on the starting job full time at some point. I was simply presenting a way things could play out. I wasn’t advocating for it.
    My point was that Steelers brass could keep Rudolph as QB3 and still think highly of him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Does it really matter? If Ben goes down we are screwed.