Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Analysis: CBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Haden carted off at Steelers practice

Posted by Josh Alper on August 7, 2019, 4:26 PM EDT

Cornerback Joe Haden is looking for a contract extension with the Steelers, but there may be more pressing matters for him to attend to at the moment.

Haden was carted off the field during the team’s practice on Wednesday. Missi Matthews of the team’s website reports that Haden was injured during a team run, but too far away for reporters to see exactly what happened.

Haden is headed into the final year of his deal and said in July that he’s optimistic about how talks with the team have been going. He reiterated that this week, but any thoughts of a new deal will be on hold until there’s word on his condition.

Steven Nelson, Mike Hilton, Brian Allen, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton and third-round pick Justin Layne fill out the rest of the cornerback group in Pittsburgh.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/joe-haden-carted-off-at-steelers-practice/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign Trevon Mathis

Posted by Josh Alper on August 8, 2019, 12:56 PM EDT

The Steelers have some injury issues at cornerback right now, so they have signed a healthy player to flesh out the group.

The team announced the signing of Trevon Mathis on Thursday. Running back Ralph Webb was waived with an injury designation in a corresponding move.

Mathis grew up in Pittsburgh and went to college at Toledo with third-round pick Diontae Johnson and two other players on the Steelers roster. He spent time with the Vikings after going undrafted last year, but did not make the 53-man roster.

The move comes a day after Joe Haden hurt his ankle during practice. Artie Burns, Brian Allen and Justin Layne also sat out that session, which explains why the team was in the market for another body to throw into the mix.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/08/steelers-sign-trevon-mathis/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cameron Sutton shows off his versatility in Steelers’ secondary

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Wednesday, August 14, 2019

In the slot. As the dime linebacker. At outside cornerback, strong safety or free.

If it’s in the secondary, Cameron Sutton has played it during his two full seasons plus one preseason with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“Any position feels like home,” Sutton said before practice Wednesday at Saint Vincent.

Sutton has had plenty of homes, even during this training camp. The 2017 third-round pick has served as the first-team “dime” and the second-team nickel, and he’s been on outside corner with the third team.

Sutton played 49 of the Steelers’ 94 defensive snaps last week in their preseason victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He started at outside corner and moved to nickel in the second half for the final two series he played.

“I thought he did some solid things,” coach Mike Tomlin said this week. “He’s done some solid things out here playing on the outside. I think just a description of his performance and contributions to this point at this point have been really solid. His versatility is really showing; he’s been above the line outside and inside, and I think that’s useful for him in terms of earning and establishing a role – and obviously useful for us”

Tomlin’s official company line is that Sutton’s 2019 role is not yet defined, and that’s surely true insofar as there are 3˝ weeks until the regular season begins and plenty can happen in terms of injury or performance between now and then.

If the regular season began today, based on practice reps on Chuck Noll Field and during the preseason game and even Tomlin’s effusive praise, Sutton’s role would likely be as the top backup to all the cornerbacks, with the dime ’backer role his own.

With the Steelers — like most NFL teams — increasingly turning to dime packages, that’s not an insignificant one.

“Any role is fine with me,” Sutton said. “I just come here ready to work. That’s pretty much it.”

Does Sutton have a favorite position?

“No, I don’t.”

“At the end of the day, it’s secondary,” Sutton said moments earlier. “So, it’s all the same things. Guys can play any position out there, and everyone is interchangeable. But it’s times that even when I might be at corner I might have to fill a certain gap as if I am a dime backer. Or at nickel, I might have a certain fit, or a certain leverage where I might have to move from playing inside to outside. So you know, it’s just depends on the coverage and the details of the defense.”

Sutton can provide great value to the Steelers this season as a utility defensive back, especially with established veterans Joe Haden and Steven Nelson at outside corner and Mike Hilton having shown over the past two years that he can be a quality nickel option.

But is he developing a reputation as a proverbial jack of all trades but master of none? Third-round picks entering their third NFL seasons, ideally, should be every-down players. And despite Sutton filling in adequately when given an expanded role at times in 2017-18, the Steelers have signed Haden and Nelson and drafted additional cornerbacks in Brian Allen and Justin Layne since Sutton was drafted.

With Sutton eligible for an extension by this time next year and prospective unrestricted free agency just 18 months away, nailing down an every-down role could be beneficial to his career.

Sutton takes the high road, though, affirming the cliche that his favorite role is the one that the coaches tell him to serve on a certain day or play.

The biggest question mark regarding Sutton’s place in the secondary pecking order seems to be if he or Artie Burns is the No. 3 option on the outside should something happen to the well-paid starting duo of Haden and Nelson.

Sutton said he hasn’t been told where he will be deployed Saturday in preseason game No. 2 against the Kansas City Chiefs. The playing time last week was in part a function of four cornerbacks not playing because of injury or protection from injury.

“I just watch the film, learn from things,” Sutton said, “and help translate and correlate them week in and week out, and come ready to work each and every day.”

https://triblive.com/sports/cameron-...ole-in-year-3/

Legend

User Info Menu

Training camp MVPs for all 32 NFL teams

8:30 AM ET

NFL Nation
    ESPN

Training camps around the NFL are starting to wrap up, and the regular season nears.

Our NFL Nation reporters talked to players and coaches to designate Mr. Training Camp for each team -- the player who stood out the most.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cornerback Cameron Sutton

The third-year player is finally putting it all together, registering several interceptions during training camp. He was always a smart player but didn't make enough plays in his second year. Now he is making them and looks comfortable in the scheme. Linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi is also a candidate for his improved pass rush but he got hurt late in camp and his preseason outlook is in question.

-- Jeremy Fowler

For the other 31 teams, click here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...l-32-nfl-teams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Training camp MVPs for all 32 NFL teams

8:30 AM ET

NFL Nation
    ESPN

Training camps around the NFL are starting to wrap up, and the regular season nears.

Our NFL Nation reporters talked to players and coaches to designate Mr. Training Camp for each team -- the player who stood out the most.

Pittsburgh Steelers

The third-year player is finally putting it all together, registering several interceptions during training camp. He was always a smart player but didn't make enough plays in his second year. Now he is making them and looks comfortable in the scheme. Linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi is also a candidate for his improved pass rush but he got hurt late in camp and his preseason outlook is in question.

-- Jeremy Fowler

For the other 31 teams, click here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...l-32-nfl-teams
    IMO Burns looked better Saturday than Sutton

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

The third-year player is finally putting it all together, registering several interceptions during training camp. He was always a smart player but didn't make enough plays in his second year. Now he is making them and looks comfortable in the scheme.
    Remember, he is a third year player, but was hurt and didn't play all of his rookie year. Really just entering his second year of actually playing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    “Any position feels like home,” Sutton said before practice Wednesday at Saint Vincent.
    My favorite thing about Sutton was something I saw on him pre-draft. He was on one of the NFLN shows and up at the board. The host asked him about positioning and duties in D depending on the play call. Not only was he telling what his role was, he was able to state the duties for every player on the D for any given play call. For Sutton, the transition to the mental aspect of NFL football was the easy part. The physical game was what he needed to get used to. Once he is there, then he should be a very good player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    My favorite thing about Sutton was something I saw on him pre-draft. He was on one of the NFLN shows and up at the board. The host asked him about positioning and duties in D depending on the play call. Not only was he telling what his role was, he was able to state the duties for every player on the D for any given play call. For Sutton, the transition to the mental aspect of NFL football was the easy part. The physical game was what he needed to get used to. Once he is there, then he should be a very good player.
    We've had several examples of DB's who have carved out regular roles for us over the years on the basis of their overall knowledge and mental aspects of NFL football over pure, raw athleticism (Deshea Townsend and William Gay immediately come to mind...possibly Willie Williams as well).

Legend

User Info Menu

PFF PIT Steelers
    @PFF_Steelers

Highest graded defensive players from the #Steelers Week 2 preseason matchup!

Justin Layne (84.0)
    Mike Hilton (80.3)
    T.J. Watt (78.0)
    Artie Burns (75.5)
    Sean Davis (71.2)

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steelers?ref...ork-On%2Fpage2

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe Haden on Steelers extension: “Time is ticking”

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 28, 2019, 6:20 AM EDT

In late July, Steelers cornerback Joe Haden was optimistic about his chances at a contract extension.

Now that we’re almost out of August, he’s not as sure.

Via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the veteran cornerback is aware the Steelers do not negotiate contracts once the season starts, and can see a calendar to know that’s next week.

“We’re still working,” Haden said. “It’s been a long process. I’m still optimistic, still hoping that everything goes down, but time is ticking. We’ve got a couple days, and we’ll figure it out.”

Haden’s entering the final year of the three-year contract he signed with the Steelers in 2017, and is scheduled to count $11.9 million against the salary cap.

He hasn’t played this preseason because of an ankle injury, but he returned to practice this week.

Now the real work begins, with a deadline in sight.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/28/joe-haden-on-steelers-extension-time-is-ticking/