Thread: Steelers culture problem? NFL culture problems.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Backup

User Info Menu

I quit posting years ago, but I read almost every post here.

...and I crawl out of my hole because this post is spot on, IMO. Equal parts reason and uncertainty...like the middle-aged guy I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't know.

Maybe it's because people in our program and people at your work aren't randomly selected populations?

Maybe millenials are dramatically different and I just don't see it where I work?

Maybe it's because the GenX managers have different views on the importance of workplace morale than their Boomer predecessors?

Maybe it's because without pension plans companies have to look for other ways to retain workers?

I'd also argue that it's probably a reasonable financial decision to live at home with parents if all parties would be OK with it (though I never moved back home after I left for University). Although if my kids move back in with me after they start working, I'd charge them rent to teach them that they need to manage their money well. But, I'd probably put that rent in the SP500 and give at least a portion back to them when they bought their first house.

My guess is also that those 22 to 28 year olds probably have much more significant student loans than GenX'ers at the same age. If that's the case, it probably makes sense to pay those down before rushing out to get more debt (mortgage) or dramatically change their cash flow (rent).

I think you're probably right about higher anxiety / depression rates. Not sure what causes this either, but there are a bunch of hypotheses (e.g. coddled too much, more report because there's less stigma, etc).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505 View Post
    I quit posting years ago, but I read almost every post here.

...and I crawl out of my hole because this post is spot on, IMO. Equal parts reason and uncertainty...like the middle-aged guy I am.
    Thanks msp.

I worry about this stuff because my own kids (3 girls) are genZ and there are apparently some disturbing stats on self harm in their generation.

I think the advent of social media is probably super hard on young people, especially girls.

Trying to find good info on what parents can do to help is tough. Would love recommendations if anyone has any.