Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Colbert Confirms Teamís Faith In WR Washington Following Disappointing Rookie Season

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    What makes you think we are running more 2RB sets?

Hopefully it wasn’t the annual off season article.

I think we will have a bunch of 3 and 4 WR sets and Washington will get his chances.

I think we are a pass happy team and will continue to have 40 attempts a game.
    Got to agree we'll be in 11 personnel as our base I don't see that changing much. Could it change some? Sure and a bit of power football on occasion is great. Some short yardage Nix n Snell smash mouth will be seen. We'll be at our best on O if we can mix it up.

Legend

User Info Menu

In 2 WR sets, whether it's 12 personnel (1 RB and 2 TE) or 21 personnel (2 RB and 1 TE), James Washington most likely won't see the field, because Juju is our starting flanker (Z) and Washington is Juju's primary backup there.

Donte Moncrief and Diontae Johnson will battle it out for the starting split end (X) opposite of Juju. Most of us expect the veteran Moncrief to win that starting job coming out of camp, but it's possible if the rookie Johnson shows real progress during his first season in black and gold, that he might be able to supplant Moncrief before season's end. We'll see.

However, our most common grouping, 11 personnel (1 RB and 1 TE), features 3 WR's, and in this case, Juju moves from flanker inside to the slot, and Washington then enters the game at the Z. So Washington will get plenty of opportunities overall.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

James Washington happy to be “just thinking about playing football”

Posted by Josh Alper on July 9, 2019, 1:21 PM EDT

JuJu Smith-Schuster said recently that fellow Steelers wide receiver James Washington has “figured it out and got the ropes down” as he heads into his second season.

Washington, who was a second-round pick last year, said his “mind was everywhere” after going through the draft process and trying to learn the Steelers offense. He wound up catching 16 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown while seeing action on 526 snaps, which supports the idea that he was overwhelmed at times.

Last year was last year and Washington’s assessment of where he is this year is in line with Smith-Schuster’s read on the situation. He said he’s “just thinking about playing football” now that he knows how life goes in the NFL.

“It wasn’t what I expected,” Washington said, via the team’s website. “It was a lot, just because of the ups and downs. One week you’re playing good and the next week you’re not. One week you’re inactive, then it’s like you question yourself and you think am I really good enough. It just kind of gives you that challenge to answer the call. Without challenges you wouldn’t have the opportunity to get better, or know what your weakness are or what your strengths are. My teammates really helped. When you’re down like that, this team does a good job of pulling you up and telling you what you’re capable of. I learned a lot and grew a lot over the season, just building my skills and looking forward to next season.”

Donte Moncrief has also been the subject of positive notices this offseason and the Steelers will likely continue to give both men the opportunity to make plays alongside Smith-Schuster as they work to show that their offense can thrive in the wake of Antonio Brown‘s departure.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/09/james-washington-happy-to-be-just-thinking-about-playing-football/
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

James Washingtonís Offseason Positional Self-Scouting Included Learning QB Perspective

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on July 9, 2019

After registering just 16 receptions for 217 yards and a touchdown in his 2018 rookie season, several are predicting a much bigger second season from Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver James Washington. In an effort to give himself the best shot at having a solid sophomore season in the NFL, Washington made it a point to lose some weight during the offseason in hopes that heíd become quicker. Additionally, Washington reportedly took a long look at his rookie tape to see how he could improve in 2019 and that study included him viewing his play from a different positional vantage point.

ďI watched some game film by myself and just tried to become more of a football junkie,Ē Washington said recently, according to Teresa Varley of steelers.com. ďI wanted to look at the game like a quarterback. Quarterbacks see everything, whether itís this or that, a guy not getting his depth or a running back not blocking. They see everything and thatís how I want to see the game. I donít just want to see it from a receiver standpoint, I want to know everything.

ďJust talking to Ben (Roethlisberger) and talking to the coaches in general got me feeling this way. Coaches have that quarterback vision they see everything and once you know the entire offense and know where everyone is supposed to go, itíll help you be better in your preparation and how you execute when youíre in the game.Ē

Thatís certainly a unique way of self-scouting that you donít often hear come out of the mouths of wide receivers. That said, itís an understandable one. Washington, in addition to likely conversing quite a bit with starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this past offseason, was likely also able to pick the brain of Steelers backup quarterback Mason Rudolph these past few months as those two were of course teammates and good friends at Oklahoma State with one throwing to the other for most of their college careers.

After registering 5 receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown in the first four games of his 2018 rookie season, Washington caught just 3 passes for 28 yards in the Steelers next eight games of which two he was inactive for as a healthy scratch. However, after being effectively benched for the Steelers Week 13 game against the Los Angeles Chargers following an uninspiring showing against the Denver Broncos in Week 12, Washington bounced back in the teamís final four games to close out the season as he recorded 8 more receptions for 140 yards in those four contests. Obviously, it goes without saying that Washington learned a lot from his very challenging rookie season.

ďIt wasnít what I expected,Ē said Washington, per Varley. ďIt was a lot, just because of the ups and downs. One week youíre playing good and the next week youíre not. One week youíre inactive, then itís like you question yourself and you think am I really good enough. It just kind of gives you that challenge to answer the call. Without challenges you wouldnít have the opportunity to get better, or know what your weakness are or what your strengths are.Ē

With wide receiver Antonio Brown no longer in Pittsburgh, JuJu Smith-Schuster is expected to be the Steelers new number one target for Roethlisberger in 2019. Smith-Schuster is also expected to be complemented by newcomer Donte Moncrief during the first part of the season as heís expected to assume the X position while rookie wide receiver Diontae Johnson is quickly groomed to hopefully take over that spot in the offense. Additionally, Washington will once again be asked to play the Z position in 2019 and pick up where he left off at late last season.

Because of all the attention that Smith-Schuster is expected to receive from opposing defenses at the start of the 2019 regular season, Washington is almost sure to see a fair amount of targets down the field and against minimal coverage. If he can quickly take advantage of those early-season targets, it will make the Steelers offense even harder to defense as the schedule progresses. By the sound of what all Washington has said and done this offseason, heíll be up to the challenge of living up to this yearís big expectations for him.

ďThis year I knew what to expect and I knew the offense better from when I first got here. All those stress factors werenít on my mind. I am just thinking about playing football,Ē Washington told Varley.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/ja...b-perspective/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Got to agree we'll be in 11 personnel as our base I don't see that changing much. Could it change some? Sure and a bit of power football on occasion is great. Some short yardage Nix n Snell smash mouth will be seen. We'll be at our best on O if we can mix it up.
    I think their serious in what they say about using Samuels and Conner together with two TE and two wr’s. Why not? Bows the perfect time to see considering the transitional state our offense is in.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    22 Personal from ESPN

22 personnel (2 RBs, 2 TEs, 1 WR)
    Why it works: Similar to discussing 13 personnel, lining up in 22 gives the offense the ability to build more run gaps along the line of scrimmage while adding a lead blocker out of two-back sets. Plus, it forces the defense to use eight- and sometimes nine-man boxes, which creates more isolation matchups outside for the single wide receiver on the field.

The teams that ran it most: The Los Angeles Chargers tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers with 90 snaps out of 22 personnel. Looking at the Chargers, with fullback Derek Watt in the game to dig out daylight for Melvin Gordon, the L.A. running back checked in at fourth in the NFL with 5.3 yards per carry on 27 attempts out of 22 sets.

The team that ran it best: It's close here with the Chargers, Steelers and New Orleans Saints, as all three teams have the ability to run downhill while using the pass game out of 22. But I'll go with the Steelers, for whom running back James Conner led the league with 43 rush attempts and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed 15 of a league-high 19 pass attempts with 22 personnel on the field.

The teams that ran it least: The Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins didn't run a single snap out of 22 personnel. And it was interesting that Cleveland -- which ranked second in 13 personnel with 153 snaps -- lined up with 22 personnel only once.

based on the way we drafted, it would seem that we are trying to be able to run more of the 22 personal. So..based on the way we drafted plus what Conner and Samuels is saying, I believe them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...onnel-grouping
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    based on the way we drafted, it would seem that we are trying to be able to run more of the 22 personal. So..based on the way we drafted plus what Conner and Samuels is saying, I believe them.
    If we had traded up to draft a T.J. Hockenson to play opposite Vance McDonald, then I could see us running more 2 TE sets this year. But we didn't. We lost Jesse James in free agency, so now our options opposite Vance are either Xavier Grimble or raw rookie 5th round pick Zach Gentry.

Meanwhile, we used our second selection in 3 consecutive drafts to get Juju Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and Diontae Johnson, plus spent rare outside free agent dollars to obtain another starter-quality WR option in Donte Moncrief.

Why would this lead you to believe we will be running more sets with just 1 of these wideouts on the field with the other 3 on the sideline in favor of a second TE and a second RB?

Outside of short yardage or goal line situations (when the 2nd TE would likely be a tackle eligible such as Chuks Okorafor and the 2nd RB would be a lead blocking FB like Rosie Nix), I don't see us running more 22 personnel this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If we had traded up to draft a T.J. Hockenson to play opposite Vance McDonald, then I could see us running more 2 TE sets this year. But we didn't. We lost Jesse James in free agency, so now our options opposite Vance are either Xavier Grimble or raw rookie 5th round pick Zach Gentry.

Meanwhile, we used our second selection in 3 consecutive drafts to get Juju Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and Diontae Johnson, plus spent rare outside free agent dollars to obtain another starter-quality WR option in Donte Moncrief.

Why would this lead you to believe we will be running more sets with just 1 of these wideouts on the field with the other 3 on the sideline in favor of a second TE and a second RB?

Outside of short yardage or goal line situations (when the 2nd TE would likely be a tackle eligible such as Chuks Okorafor and the 2nd RB would be a lead blocking FB like Rosie Nix), I don't see us running more 22 personnel this year.
    ^ I agree. Draft and picks scream 11 personnel and 4 & 5 WR. Unless they feel a few won't make the cut...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

22 Personal from ESPN

22 personnel (2 RBs, 2 TEs, 1 WR)
    Why it works: Similar to discussing 13 personnel, lining up in 22 gives the offense the ability to build more run gaps along the line of scrimmage while adding a lead blocker out of two-back sets. Plus, it forces the defense to use eight- and sometimes nine-man boxes, which creates more isolation matchups outside for the single wide receiver on the field.

The teams that ran it most: The Los Angeles Chargers tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers with 90 snaps out of 22 personnel. Looking at the Chargers, with fullback Derek Watt in the game to dig out daylight for Melvin Gordon, the L.A. running back checked in at fourth in the NFL with 5.3 yards per carry on 27 attempts out of 22 sets.

The team that ran it best: It's close here with the Chargers, Steelers and New Orleans Saints, as all three teams have the ability to run downhill while using the pass game out of 22. But I'll go with the Steelers, for whom running back James Conner led the league with 43 rush attempts and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed 15 of a league-high 19 pass attempts with 22 personnel on the field.

The teams that ran it least: The Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins didn't run a single snap out of 22 personnel. And it was interesting that Cleveland -- which ranked second in 13 personnel with 153 snaps -- lined up with 22 personnel only once.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...onnel-grouping
    We drafted a TE in the fifth round dude.

We drafted a WR much earlier in the draft and we also signed Moncreif.

There is nothing besides the annual 2 back summer report that suggest we will be going witch more 2TE and 2 RB sets.

Ben didn’t extend his contract to run the ball a ton. We are going to be throwing like crazy next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think their serious in what they say about using Samuels and Conner together with two TE and two wr’s. Why not? Bows the perfect time to see considering the transitional state our offense is in.
    I'll believe it when they do it in the regular season.

We've heard these rumblings before.

Also, have they actually said that they'll use Samuels and Conner at the same time? Or is that just speculation from us (and the media).