Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert Confirms Teamís Faith In WR Washington Following Disappointing Rookie Season

Legend

User Info Menu

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...eelers-offense

One of the things in this article is how Washington is now coming off the line of scrimmage faster now.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Washington showed plenty potential at the end of the season. The question is whether or not he becomes an 80 catch guy or a 50 catch guy
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

James Washington is “going to sneak up on everybody”
    By Charean Williams | Jul 8, 2019, 6:47 PM EDT

The Steelers have a big hole to fill at wideout, with Antonio Brown now in Oakland. JuJu Smith-Schuster has taken over the role of No. 1 receiver, but who starts opposite Smith-Schuster?

The Steelers have several options, with Donte Moncrief, James Washington, Ryan Switzer, Eli Rogers and rookie Diontae Johnson competing for playing time and targets. Smith-Schuster likes Washington’s chances to become a trusted option for Ben Roethlisberger.

“You talk about a young dude who’s up and coming, it’s going to be James Washington,” Smith Schuster told ESPN, via NFL.com. “A guy from Oklahoma State, came to the Steelers his rookie year, started off slow but figured it out and got the ropes down.

“This past summer workouts that we had, he’s been doing amazing, a great job. I’m super excited to see how he does this year. He’s our guy that’s going to sneak up on everybody.”

Washington started six games as a rookie, playing behind Brown, Smith-Schuster and Switzer, and saw 526 snaps. He caught 16 balls on 38 targets for 217 yards and a touchdown.

Washington dropped 15 pounds to 210 this offseason and appears ready to breakout in his second season.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

JuJu: James Washington will 'sneak up on everybody'

By Jeremy Bergman
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: July 8, 2019

With Antonio Brown out west, JuJu Smith-Schuster is the unquestioned No. 1 receiver in Pittsburgh. But the Steelers still need to figure out who Ben Roethlisberger's second option will be.

Donte Moncrief, Ryan Switzer, Eli Rogers and rookie Diontae Johnson should all see attention from Big Ben, but according to Smith-Schuster, second-year receiver James Washington will be Pittsburgh's breakout pass-catcher in 2019.

"But you talk about a young dude who's up and coming, it's going to be James Washington," Smith Schuster told ESPN. "A guy from Oklahoma State, came to the Steelers his rookie year, started off slow but figured it out and got the ropes down.

"This past summer workouts that we had, he's been doing amazing, a great job. I'm super excited to see how he does this year. He's our guy that's going to sneak up on everybody."

Washington started six games in his rookie year, behind Brown, Smith-Schuster and Switzer, and caught 16 balls on 38 targets for 217 yards and a touchdown. His 42.1 catch percentage was the lowest on the team among skill players with at least 14 targets.

Washington should see an increase in playtime in 2019 from last year's 526 snaps (47.1 percent), and the receiver is readying himself for an larger workload. Washington told The Athletic during offseason workouts that he dropped 15 pounds to 210 in preparation for the upcoming campaign.

The receiver admitted that he was "burned out" in his rookie year during which he saw his snap count flutter and his quarterback criticize him on local radio. All that has encouraged Washington to prepare differently for Pittsburgh's upcoming training camp.

"I am just trying to come in more confident," Washington told The Atheltic's Mark Kaboly in May. "It wasn't that I played without confidence last year, but I wanted to come in with that sense of urgency that I felt like I lacked a little last year."

Count Smith-Schuster among the teammates who have already noticed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...p-on-everybody

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm hoping these articles end up being true instead of just being puff pieces.

Looking forward to camp / preseason this year. Seems like there are lots of interesting questions at WR and on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm hoping these articles end up being true instead of just being puff pieces.
    Hopefully that's the case. In the past few years:

Before Eli Rogers broke out, there was a decent amount of offseason buzz around him...

Before Mike Hilton broke out, there was a decent amount of offseason buzz around him...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    JuJu: James Washington will 'sneak up on everybody'

By Jeremy Bergman
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: July 8, 2019

With Antonio Brown out west, JuJu Smith-Schuster is the unquestioned No. 1 receiver in Pittsburgh. But the Steelers still need to figure out who Ben Roethlisberger's second option will be.

Donte Moncrief, Ryan Switzer, Eli Rogers and rookie Diontae Johnson should all see attention from Big Ben, but according to Smith-Schuster, second-year receiver James Washington will be Pittsburgh's breakout pass-catcher in 2019.

"But you talk about a young dude who's up and coming, it's going to be James Washington," Smith Schuster told ESPN. "A guy from Oklahoma State, came to the Steelers his rookie year, started off slow but figured it out and got the ropes down.

"This past summer workouts that we had, he's been doing amazing, a great job. I'm super excited to see how he does this year. He's our guy that's going to sneak up on everybody."

Washington started six games in his rookie year, behind Brown, Smith-Schuster and Switzer, and caught 16 balls on 38 targets for 217 yards and a touchdown. His 42.1 catch percentage was the lowest on the team among skill players with at least 14 targets.

Washington should see an increase in playtime in 2019 from last year's 526 snaps (47.1 percent), and the receiver is readying himself for an larger workload. Washington told The Athletic during offseason workouts that he dropped 15 pounds to 210 in preparation for the upcoming campaign.

The receiver admitted that he was "burned out" in his rookie year during which he saw his snap count flutter and his quarterback criticize him on local radio. All that has encouraged Washington to prepare differently for Pittsburgh's upcoming training camp.

"I am just trying to come in more confident," Washington told The Atheltic's Mark Kaboly in May. "It wasn't that I played without confidence last year, but I wanted to come in with that sense of urgency that I felt like I lacked a little last year."

Count Smith-Schuster among the teammates who have already noticed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...p-on-everybody
    I just don't see it; Not that I"m saying Washington hasn't improved but I'm saying you can't show it if your not on the field and I just don't think he's going to be on the field over Moncrief. I see Moncrief and Juju in all two wide, two RB, two TE sets. And supposedly their going to run a lot of two RB sets ..so I just don't see Washington making that much noise because Ben is saying that Moncrief has the sense of being where he's supposed to be like AB used to do. Which is a huge security blanket and invaluable to a QB.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hope all the WRs we keep end up playing to their potential ... and that Ben doesn't feel compelled to throw into coverage as much as in the past, but spreads the ball around, hitting whomever is open.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I just don't see it; Not that I"m saying Washington hasn't improved but I'm saying you can't show it if your not on the field and I just don't think he's going to be on the field over Moncrief. I see Moncrief and Juju in all two wide, two RB, two TE sets. And supposedly their going to run a lot of two RB sets ..so I just don't see Washington making that much noise because Ben is saying that Moncrief has the sense of being where he's supposed to be like AB used to do. Which is a huge security blanket and invaluable to a QB.
    What makes you think we are running more 2RB sets?

Hopefully it wasn’t the annual off season article.

I think we will have a bunch of 3 and 4 WR sets and Washington will get his chances.

I think we are a pass happy team and will continue to have 40 attempts a game.