Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert Confirms Teamís Faith In WR Washington Following Disappointing Rookie Season

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert Confirms Teamís Faith In WR Washington Following Disappointing Rookie Season

Colbert Confirms Teamís Faith In WR Washington Following Disappointing Rookie Season

By Dave BryanPosted on February 27, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers spent a second-round draft pick last year on wide receiver James Washington and the Oklahoma State product went on to have a very disappointing rookie season as he only caught 16 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown and was even inactive for two of the teamís 16 regular season games. With the start of the 2019 NFL league year now on the immediate horizon, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was asked Wednesday during his annual scouting combine press conference in Indianapolis to give his impression on Washingtonís 2018 rookie season.

ďJames had a rough start,Ē Colbert said. ďI mean, it was disappointing because he was dropping balls that he didnít drop in college. James had I believe 35 touchdowns at Oklahoma State when he played with Mason Rudolph and was a very productive player, but he also went through an adjustment and learning of the NFL game and he fought through it week after week. He had the big drop at Denver, where he probably should have just run through the ball. He probably would have scored. But his confidence after that game grew to where he was a contributor down the stretch. So, not uncommon for rookie players to go through that, but we had no question about James Washingtonís ability to catch the football and now heís starting to show that.Ē

After that big drop in the Steelers Week 12 road loss to the Denver Broncos, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger publicly reprimanded his young wide receiver during his weekly radio show interview that following Tuesday and many wondered if he should have done that. Roethlisberger, however, later clarified and justified his decision to somewhat call out Washington and how the conversation with the young wide receiver that ultimately took place behind closed doors went and how it was received.

ďIt was nothing more than me challenging him to be ready to go and he had a great week of practice [last week],Ē Roethlisberger said. ďHim and I had a great talk on Saturday morning after the week and there was no hard feelings at all, which I didnít think there would be. Thereís a right and a wrong way to kind of challenge guys sometimes and I felt like I did that, and I feel like thereís no negative, no negativity came from it.Ē

That same week, Washington also described how that conversation with Roethlisberger had gone.

ďYou know, he kinda came in the receiver room and talked to me one on one, which I really needed that because he gave me a lot of advice,Ē Washington said of Roethlisbergerís talk with him. ďAnd you know, for him to come in and sit me down and talk to me just kind of helped me get over this hump and get back on track.Ē

While Washington was ultimately inactive for the Steelers Week 13 home game against the Los Angeles Chargers, he went on to dress and play in the teamís final four regular season games. He caught 8 passes for 140 yards in those four contests and even had a long reception of 47 yards in the regular season home finale against the Cincinnati Bengals. In short, and like Colbert said on Wednesday, he seemingly got back on track after that extremely disappointing showing against the Broncos.

In 2019, Washington will likely be asked to take a huge step forward for the Steelers and especially if fellow wide receiver Antonio Brown is ultimately traded in the coming weeks and months. Listening to Colbert talk about Washington on Wednesday at the combine, he didnít sound like he lacks faith in the young wide receiver being able to do just that.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/co...rookie-season/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If we trade Brown, I don't think it's a good idea to stand pat with the other WRs on the roster. We need to add a burner with hands to take the top off the opposing D, someone better than the current options.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If we trade Brown, I don't think it's a good idea to stand pat with the other WRs on the roster. We need to add a burner with hands to take the top off the opposing D, someone better than the current options.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sold on Washington; I could be wrong but I don't see him as that great of a wide receiver. But we will know what management really thinks of him by what they do in free agency and the draft. To me, I don't think he can separate from the cornerbacks on him.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dude won the Biletnikoff Award in college and was a second round draft pick so the expectations on him should be pretty high at this point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Dude won the Biletnikoff Award in college and was a second round draft pick so the expectations on him should be pretty high at this point.
    This is what I agree with. Mine are certainly high but are also on a ‘show me’ position as well.

Excited to see what year 2 will look like.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

JuJu reset the standard with his rookie season.

Washington def. disappointed after a terrific preseason but showed some flash at the end of the yr which was encouraging.

I think the Steelers need to focus more on the TE position in the draft while looking at FA for WR.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no confidence he will fail or succeed.
    I think much of the problem (besides the clear confidence issue) is that we used him as mostly a deep threat like he was in college.
    But he just aint that fast. And Ben is used to "fast" deep threats.

His route tree needs to be more "Hines" than "Wallace".

As has been said we need to add a burner.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think this teams track record of evaluating WR talent speaks for itself. I am not worried about JW in the least,

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I think this teams track record of evaluating WR talent speaks for itself. I am not worried about JW in the least,

What does JASON WORILDS have to do with this thread?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    History?
    You mean like the last muscular Big 12 receiver we drafted in round 2......EXACTLY one decade prior to drafting Washington?