Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Boz is gonna have to earn his spot

  1. #11
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    shouldnt all positions have competition each year?
    wow, what a concept!

    but Boz's problems were a surprise considering he was All-Pro the year before...

  2. #12
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    wow, what a concept!

    but Boz's problems were a surprise considering he was All-Pro the year before...
    This. Why waste time and energy with competition for a pro bowler.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This. Why waste time and energy with competition for a pro bowler.
    Because last year's pro bowler can turn into this year's disaster, as we saw with Boswell.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    We'll see what kind of "competition" we bring in. It seems like we had a faux competition during the season. Maybe we do that again this off season.

    I think it might depend on what the cap ramifications are of cutting him.
    Nick Novak is kicking lights out in the AAF right now for Birmingham Iron. I'm enjoying watching football in February.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  5. #15
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    shouldnt all positions have competition each year?
    I don't think Tom Brady or Drew Brees will be competing for #1 QB spot. There is not a competition for every position and that goes for every team. If you went into every season not knowing who your starters are going to be why would you ever offer a long term contract to anyone.

  6. #16
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't think Tom Brady or Drew Brees will be competing for #1 QB spot. There is not a competition for every position and that goes for every team. If you went into every season not knowing who your starters are going to be why would you ever offer a long term contract to anyone.
    You're no doubt correct about camp competition at the #1 QB for some teams, but that's not how Brady approaches his job.

    Check out this clip from 6:15 point:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdtbAX1-ZO0

    It's a slightly different take on Brady, from the POV of Michigan assistant AD Greg Harden, who used to be Brady's confidant while he was at Michigan. Brady was pretty lucky to run into a guy like that early in his career.

  7. #17
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers find Chris Boswell's training camp competition

    By BRYAN DEARDO

    Chris Boswell will have to earn his job this summer if he wants to remain the Pittsburgh Steelers' starting kicker. After struggling through the worst season of his professional football career, Boswell will have competition when he reports to training camp in late July.

    On Saturday, shortly after the 2019 NFL Draft had concluded, Pittsburgh signed free agent rookie kicker Matthew Wright, who made 98.6 percent of his extra points and 77.5 percent of his field goal attempts during his time at Central Florida. The Steelers are also bringing back Matt McCrane, who replaced Boswell late in the 2018 season after Boswell was placed on season-ending IR heading into Pittsburgh's regular season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals. Against the Bengals, McCrane, a 2018 undrafted rookie who spent time with Arizona and Oakland before coming to Pittsburgh, made all three of his field goal attempts in the Steelers' 16-13 victory over the Bengals. He was awarded the game ball after the game.

    While Pittsburgh's non-playoff season was a collective effort, Boswell, a Pro Bowler in 2017, certainly played a significant role in the Steelers missing the playoffs for the first time since 2013. He missed several crucial kicks in 2018 that included a pair of misses in the team's Week 14 loss to the Raiders. He also missed a field goal attempts in Pittsburgh's Week 1 tie in Cleveland, the team's Week 2 loss to Kansas City, Pittsburgh's Week 12 loss to Denver, and in the Steelers' Week 15 victory over New England. He made both of his field goal attempts in Pittsburgh's 31-28 loss to the New Orleans Saints in Week 16.

    "Special teams, I mean, you know, the drop off of Chris Boswell was surprising, disappointing, and this something that Chris shares with us like we share with him," Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert said earlier this offseason, via Jim Wexell of 247Sports. "We believe that Chris Boswell has the ability to do better than he did. He's already proven that. He set a standard for himself in 2017 as a Pro Bowl player. And last year statistically he was one of the worst kickers. That's a huge drop off. But as a young player, we also believe that he can find his way out of that and we will support him in that attempt. Does that mean he won't have competition? Absolutely not. We signed Matt McCrane when we put Bos on Reserve Injured, and Matt did a nice job in that Cincinnati game kicking the field goals that helped us win that game. Could we add another young player into that mix? Sure. We could. There will be competition for Bos."

    For his career, Boswell, who signed a longterm deal with the Steelers during last year's training camp, has made 85.2 percent of his field goal attempts and 94.7 percent of his point-after attempts. Boswell has also made all 15 of his career postseason field goal attempts. Boswell believes that last year's setbacks should lead to vastly improved play in 2019.

    "Just like any other position, any other sport, you just gotta trust yourself and know that you got here for a reason and just kinda get back to doing you and donít worry about all the other things," Boswell said late in the 2018 season. "I mean, itís an ongoing thing. Itís not an easy fix. You just gotta come to work every day and have the right attitude. Itís mechanical, itís mental. Itís a mixture of everything. You gotta figure it as you go and find things that works for you. Some things that works for me may not work for somebody. Just gotta figure myself out and come back from this.

    "Iíve been in that situation before," Boswell continued. "I mean, I came here off the street. I was cut many times before that, and Iíve kind of always had my back against the wall coming out of college. Thatís my position now, and weíll just see what happens from here."

    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ion-131664661/

  8. #18
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers find Chris Boswell's training camp competition

    By BRYAN DEARDO

    Chris Boswell will have to earn his job this summer if he wants to remain the Pittsburgh Steelers' starting kicker. After struggling through the worst season of his professional football career, Boswell will have competition when he reports to training camp in late July.

    On Saturday, shortly after the 2019 NFL Draft had concluded, Pittsburgh signed free agent rookie kicker Matthew Wright, who made 98.6 percent of his extra points and 77.5 percent of his field goal attempts during his time at Central Florida. The Steelers are also bringing back Matt McCrane, who replaced Boswell late in the 2018 season after Boswell was placed on season-ending IR heading into Pittsburgh's regular season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals. Against the Bengals, McCrane, a 2018 undrafted rookie who spent time with Arizona and Oakland before coming to Pittsburgh, made all three of his field goal attempts in the Steelers' 16-13 victory over the Bengals. He was awarded the game ball after the game.

    While Pittsburgh's non-playoff season was a collective effort, Boswell, a Pro Bowler in 2017, certainly played a significant role in the Steelers missing the playoffs for the first time since 2013. He missed several crucial kicks in 2018 that included a pair of misses in the team's Week 14 loss to the Raiders. He also missed a field goal attempts in Pittsburgh's Week 1 tie in Cleveland, the team's Week 2 loss to Kansas City, Pittsburgh's Week 12 loss to Denver, and in the Steelers' Week 15 victory over New England. He made both of his field goal attempts in Pittsburgh's 31-28 loss to the New Orleans Saints in Week 16.

    "Special teams, I mean, you know, the drop off of Chris Boswell was surprising, disappointing, and this something that Chris shares with us like we share with him," Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert said earlier this offseason, via Jim Wexell of 247Sports. "We believe that Chris Boswell has the ability to do better than he did. He's already proven that. He set a standard for himself in 2017 as a Pro Bowl player. And last year statistically he was one of the worst kickers. That's a huge drop off. But as a young player, we also believe that he can find his way out of that and we will support him in that attempt. Does that mean he won't have competition? Absolutely not. We signed Matt McCrane when we put Bos on Reserve Injured, and Matt did a nice job in that Cincinnati game kicking the field goals that helped us win that game. Could we add another young player into that mix? Sure. We could. There will be competition for Bos."

    For his career, Boswell, who signed a longterm deal with the Steelers during last year's training camp, has made 85.2 percent of his field goal attempts and 94.7 percent of his point-after attempts. Boswell has also made all 15 of his career postseason field goal attempts. Boswell believes that last year's setbacks should lead to vastly improved play in 2019.

    "Just like any other position, any other sport, you just gotta trust yourself and know that you got here for a reason and just kinda get back to doing you and donít worry about all the other things," Boswell said late in the 2018 season. "I mean, itís an ongoing thing. Itís not an easy fix. You just gotta come to work every day and have the right attitude. Itís mechanical, itís mental. Itís a mixture of everything. You gotta figure it as you go and find things that works for you. Some things that works for me may not work for somebody. Just gotta figure myself out and come back from this.

    "Iíve been in that situation before," Boswell continued. "I mean, I came here off the street. I was cut many times before that, and Iíve kind of always had my back against the wall coming out of college. Thatís my position now, and weíll just see what happens from here."

    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ion-131664661/
    I watched Wright for his entire career at UCF. If Boswell is anything close to the 2017 Boswell it won't be close to a competition. Wright is accurate but doesn't have a booming leg.

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Wright = training camp fodder ... not true competition.

  10. #20
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Nice bump hawaiian... was gonna bring up this topic today. It was a bit surprising the Steelers didn't look late in the draft for a kicker given how Boz struggled last season. Browns were concerned enough that they grabbed a kicker in Rd 5. Hope it isn't a case of Boz just 'losing it' after an incredible run, but it happens.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •