Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruthless Plan 1.0

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I see Bush vs. Wilson as somewhat similar to Shazier vs. Mosley a few years ago. I'd say that Bush might have a higher ceiling than Wilson, but also a lower floor as well (greater bust potential). Wilson is more of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of guy. I liked Shazier more than Mosley back then because he had otherworldly athleticism in a solid LB's body. The reason that I'm leaning the other way this time (Wilson over Bush right now) is because when you have an undersized guy like Bush, you want to see that elite level athleticism to make up for it, but he's not in Shazier's league. I see him more like a Deone Buchanon or Mark Barron type. Very useful in today's NFL, but not the complete package entirely. If Wilson were gone at 36, though, I'd take a swing at Bush and try to use him creatively. He could be what we wanted LJ Fort to be.
    Nice in depth analysis. With that said, we need to trust that Colbert is doing his homework because this is a cross roads for us.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 03-21-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great thread Ruthless. One thing I'll say is I believe by the time draft day rolls around Mullen of Clemson will be lumped into the group of first round corners you mentioned. Baker ,Murphy and Greedy who I agree are all likely off the board day 1 but the Mullen kid I believe tests well. If that happens he's going to go early since he checks a bunch of boxes already. How early idk but he runs a quick 10 split and a sub 4.5 n he should from what u c on tape so if those boxes get checked we'll need that late 1 or early 2 from the AB trade to have a shot imho.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m terrified of Colbert taking a cornerback/ safety in the first round.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (8 years after Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m terrified of Colbert taking a cornerback/ safety in the first round.
    I have to admit I'm with you on that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now that we know what we got in return for AB, it's about time to do a 2.0, eh?

My initial plan had us trading multiple picks in order to obtain a starting CB (Xavier Rhodes) to play opposite Haden, but we have since signed Steven Nelson to fill that role.

The signing of Donte Moncrief helps to alleviate the loss of AB somewhat, but we could still add another WR on day two of the draft, since this draft seems particularly deep at WR in rounds 2 & 3, plus we've had success adding wideouts on day two of the draft in the past.

Our biggest hole right now is at ILB, so I'm going to make a bold move to go up and get the best possible solution. Buffalo appeared to be willing to move down from #9 to #20 when we were discussing a possible AB trade, so maybe they would still be willing to drop down those 11 spots in exchange for some of our extra draft capital...they have many needs to fill, after all If Devin White is available at #9, I'd offer them both of the picks we got from Oakland in the AB trade (3.66 and 5.141) plus our 3rd round pick in 2020 as well. We could get the guy that we really need to solidify our defense as a whole and that would still leave us with 8 total picks this year (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6, 7).

Trade 1.20, 3.66, 5.141, and a 2020 3rd to BUF for 1.9

1.9 ILB Devin White 6'1" 240 LSU
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon 6'3" 215 NC State
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich 6'3" 255 Michigan
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver 6'5" 250 San Jose State
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair 6'2" 195 Utah
    6.192 RB Travis Homer 5'11" 195 Miami
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt 6'5" 315 Arkansas
    7.219 DE Armon Watts 6'5" 298 Arkansas
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Now that we know what we got in return for AB, it's about time to do a 2.0, eh?

My initial plan had us trading multiple picks in order to obtain a starting CB (Xavier Rhodes) to play opposite Haden, but we have since signed Steven Nelson to fill that role.

The signing of Donte Moncrief helps to alleviate the loss of AB somewhat, but we could still add another WR on day two of the draft, since this draft seems particularly deep at WR in rounds 2 & 3, plus we've had success adding wideouts on day two of the draft in the past.

Our biggest hole right now is at ILB, so I'm going to make a bold move to go up and get the best possible solution. Buffalo appeared to be willing to move down from #9 to #20 when we were discussing a possible AB trade, so maybe they would still be willing to drop down those 11 spots in exchange for some of our extra draft capital...they have many needs to fill, after all If Devin White is available at #9, I'd offer them both of the picks we got from Oakland in the AB trade (3.66 and 5.141) plus our 3rd round pick in 2020 as well. We could get the guy that we really need to solidify our defense as a whole and that would still leave us with 8 total picks this year (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6, 7).

Trade 1.20, 3.66, 5.141, and a 2020 3rd to BUF for 1.9

1.9 ILB Devin White 6'1" 240 LSU
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon 6'3" 215 NC State
    3.83 OLB Chase Winovich 6'3" 255 Michigan
    4.122 TE Josh Oliver 6'5" 250 San Jose State
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair 6'2" 195 Utah
    6.192 RB Travis Homer 5'11" 195 Miami
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt 6'5" 315 Arkansas
    7.219 DE Armon Watts 6'5" 298 Arkansas
    I like that draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

My Mock Draft 2.0 included the big trade up into the top 10 to get Devin White, and I recently added another trade option to my sig that including a trade-up for another 1st round pick if both TE T.J. Hockenson and ILB Devin Bush were still on the board at #20 and we were torn between whether to pick in the true BPA with Hock or to fill our biggest need on defense with Bush (I guess I should consider that to be Mock Draft 2.5).

Trade 2.52, 3.66, 3.83, & 5.141 to SEA for 1.21 & 4.124

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
    1.21 ILB Devin Bush
    4.122 OLB Christian Miller
    4.124 WR David Sills
    6.175 FS Marquis Blair
    6.192 RB Travis Homer
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

All of my mocks so far have included trade ups, because I don't think that we use all 10 of the picks that we have at the present time. But I suppose that I should also do at least one mock that just has us using our picks as they are currently configured without any trading. In this version, I make the infuriating decision (to most on this board) use my top picks on offensive skill positions rather than defense, but then I reverse course to use the next 5 mid-round picks to load up with 3 LB's and 2 DB's, including doubling down at ILB early on day three since I did not take one during the first two days of the draft. Here goes Mock Draft 3.0 Without Any Trades...

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
    2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon, N.C. State
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich, Michigan
    3.83 S Amani Hooker, Iowa
    4.122 ILB David Long Jr., West Virginia
    5.141 CB Isaiah Johnson, Houston
    6.175 ILB Bobby Okereke, Stanford
    6.192 RB Travis Homer, Miami
    6.207 OG Hjalte Froholdt, Arkansas
    7.219 DE Armon Watts, Arkansas
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Iím terrified of Colbert taking a cornerback/ safety in the first round.
    I'm terrified of them drafting another safety.

I'm not terrified of them drafting a CB. Well, I kinda am.... I think we need a stud CB but we suck at evaluating DBs.

If only our head coach's "speciality" was the secondary. Oh wait... Nevermind.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

If only our head coach's "speciality" was the secondary. Oh wait... Nevermind.
    He should be fired alone just for misrepresenting himself on his resume. Lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ruth, you know I love both scenarios in getting Hockenson. ( I think TE is our biggest weakness now)

Colbert did a great job in signing free agents this year.
    Moncrief should excel with Ben. He isn't AB, but he will make some big plays for us. I think our WR core is solid, above average as it is right now.
    Yes, we still are a weak at ILB this year, but I feel more confident with Barron on board. Also the addition of Nelson, to solidify the outside should help out the front 7.

Ruth how do you feel about this with your plan A: if we trade up again, into the 3rd, by trading one of those 4s and a future 3rd ( or some combo) take Winovich / Hooker/ in the 3rd.

1a) Hockenson
    1b) Bush
    3) Winovich/Hooker
    4) Boykin

Even if we leave the draft with less than 5 picks I think we are good.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."