Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colbert III FA & Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Colbert III FA & Draft

I have to applaud Colbert this year, he has done a good job setting us up going into the draft.

Although we failed to get a better deal for AB, that was the market. It is done. Face it. Move forward. We are better off.

We signed Nelson, but it is yet to be determined where he plays. Is he going to play slot, if we draft a boundary CB in the 1st two rounds? Tomlin was saying he has versatility.

Moncrief, he can play almost any position x, y, z. We can draft any WR in this draft and will fit in . ( Maybe we don't need another slot)

Barron, right now is our best Mack LB and maybe best box/ hybrid safety on the team. He can ball too. We can go either route in covering our inside defense woes in the draft early either an ILB or another safety.

Add in he has been careful not to lose out on next year's Bell comp pick.

We can go any which way in this draft, DL ( switch to a 4-3 like posted in other thread), go CB, TE, ILB, S, WR, G, even RB in the first. ( Any of these positions will have impact this year or next) . Every position is open except QB, RT, & C.

Here we go!
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

It’s April 1st and SG is feeling a draft. Lol. Yeah, signs of real versatility draft wise are there for Colbert. I really feel like we are staying put or trading down now in the first round. I don’t think we trade up at all. And that’s fine.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I have to applaud Colbert this year, he has done a good job setting us up going into the draft.
    This is Colbert's M.O. leading up to pretty much every draft. He looks to try to at least somewhat patch up any obvious glaring needs in free agency so that when the draft comes, we don't absolutely have to draft any position in particular. It's better to come into the draft with wants than definitive needs.

If we didn't sign Barron, then everyone would be clamoring for a LB right away in the draft. However, if the board doesn't fall our way later this month, we could take a highly rated player at another position rather than reaching for a LB to fill a need. Then we could take a LB in rounds 2, 3 or 4 instead.

If we didn't sign Nelson, then everyone would be clamoring for a CB right away in the draft. However, if the board doesn't fall our way later this month, we could take a highly rated player at another position rather than reaching for a CB to fill a need. Then we could take a CB in rounds 2, 3 or 4 instead.

If we didn't sign Moncrief, then everyone would be clamoring for a WR right away in the draft. However, if the board doesn't fall our way later this month, we could take a highly rated player at another position rather than reaching for a WR to fill a need. Then we could take a WR in rounds 2, 3 or 4 instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

This message is hidden because RuthlessBurgher is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Legend

This message is hidden because RuthlessBurgher is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    Was I talking to you? I responded to George. What the hell is your problem anyway? Oh no...you won't see this anyway because I'm being ignored. I'm so insulted. Get over yourself.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It’s April 1st and SG is feeling a draft. Lol. Yeah, signs of real versatility draft wise are there for Colbert. I really feel like we are staying put or trading down now in the first round. I don’t think we trade up at all. And that’s fine.
    I'm not ruling a trade up out. Now don't think we would make a big move but say a key defensive player who we like is there at 18 n only 1 guy we have at that level is still there. Say a guy whose name starts Bu ( there is more then 1). Value board is 50 points to move up so it would cost us our 4 to ensure said Bu player in this example. I could see us doing this. Not saying I love the idea but I could see it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I could see it. But I just don't think he's going to do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is there a generational talent in this draft excluding the quarterbacks because they're over-drafted regardless of their talent. So, are any of the top 10 players worth the draft day capital to move up and get one of them? IMO, it's no, a very good player is going to drop to number 20. Think about it, only 19 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick and you know 1 or 2 of them are going to be quarterbacks that don't belong that high in the draft. Throw in 1 head scratcher from somebody and only 17-18 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick. Will both Hockenson and Fant be gone? There are 3 1st round graded CBs, will they all be gone? There are 5 Edge players ranked in the top 20, all gone? There are 4 DL ranked in the top 20, all gone? There are 3 OL, 2 ILB and 1 WR ranked in the top 20, that's 18, throw in some teams with specific needs and they reach for a player, and the next thing you know, David Decastro is sitting there for you to take because you filled all your glaring holes and you're going to take your highest rated player at 1.20.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Is there a generational talent in this draft excluding the quarterbacks because they're over-drafted regardless of their talent. So, are any of the top 10 players worth the draft day capital to move up and get one of them? IMO, it's no, a very good player is going to drop to number 20. Think about it, only 19 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick and you know 1 or 2 of them are going to be quarterbacks that don't belong that high in the draft. Throw in 1 head scratcher from somebody and only 17-18 players can be drafted before the Steelers get to pick. Will both Hockenson and Fant be gone? There are 3 1st round graded CBs, will they all be gone? There are 5 Edge players ranked in the top 20, all gone? There are 4 DL ranked in the top 20, all gone? There are 3 OL, 2 ILB and 1 WR ranked in the top 20, that's 18, throw in some teams with specific needs and they reach for a player, and the next thing you know, David Decastro is sitting there for you to take because you filled all your glaring holes and you're going to take your highest rated player at 1.20.

Pappy
    I agree 100%. However, say at 18 Vikes on the board n we have 2 guys ranked at 15-18 range and 1 guy ranked at 10. And the guy ranked at 10 fills a huge need. It's possible a short jump up could occur then because of the fit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I agree 100%. However, say at 18 Vikes on the board n we have 2 guys ranked at 15-18 range and 1 guy ranked at 10. And the guy ranked at 10 fills a huge need. It's possible a short jump up could occur then because of the fit.
    Now that could happen.