Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Prospects to keep an eye on

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Draft Prospects to keep an eye on

As we all get ready for the Combine and draft season, here are some guys that as Steelers fans I feel we should keep our eyes on. While by no means a comprehensive list, these guys are a good start.

Day one---Based only on current 1/20 pick

Devin Bush-ILB-Michigan
    Greedy Williams-CB-LSU
    Deandre Baker-CB-Georgia
    Byron Murphy-CB-Washington
    Jaylon Ferguson-Edge-LA Tech
    Cody Ford-OL-Oklahoma

Day Two-

Rock Ya Sin-CB-Temple
    Chase Winovich-OLB-Michigan
    Julian Love-CB-ND
    TJ Edwards-ILB-Wisconsin
    David Montgomery-RB-Iowa St
    David Sills-WR-WVU
    Vosean Joseph-ILB-Florida
    Kendall Sheffield-CB-OSU
    Collin Johson-WR-Texas
    Dru Samia-OG-OU

Day 3 Guys-

Rodney Anderson-RB-OU
    Bryce Love-RB-Stanford
    Kendall Joseph-LB- Clemson
    Ben Powers-OG-OU
    Mike Weber-RB-OSU
    Andy Isabella-WR-UMASS
    Lil Jordan Humphrey-WR-Texas
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 02-10-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Are these just players who you think the Steelers might take or players you like?

No S or TE? ...Yeah... I am on my TE kick again, although Mcdonald played well last year, he still drops too many passs and is still injury prone. Maybe I miss a TE like Health, and disappointed in the Ladarious year...
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Are these just players who you think the Steelers might take or players you like?

No S or TE? ...Yeah... I am on my TE kick again, although Mcdonald played well last year, he still drops too many passs and is still injury prone. Maybe I miss a TE like Health, and disappointed in the Ladarious year...
    Players I like that fit what the Steelers do and look for. The TE class is very top heavy. I think they will look to resign JJ and bring in a young guy as #3. Maybe a gut like Orndorff who is playing in the AAF. I don't see S a priority either. Edmunds and Davis will start. Allen will be in the backup mix and they will sign a veteran guy or bring back Dangerfield for depth. Unless they make a run at a guy like Weddle or Mathieu should they become available.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A lot depends on the AB saga.
    He moves and looking at a weapon at TE becomes a priority.

One of our defensive needs (CB, ILB and OLB) MUST BE addressed in FA.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me ask the question, was the offense really the problem last season? The Steelers were #5 in the NFL in pts/gm. Every team in the top 10 were in the playoffs except for PIT and ATL. PIT was #16 in pts/gm allowed, and ATL was #25.

Why are we talking drafting offense in the first two rounds? Look at the defense. Haden is a year older, Burns is toasted. Burnett is likely not resigned, and Dupree may not return if he decides he doesn't want a pay cut. This team needs defensive help. I wouldn't look at offense unless an absolute gamechanger fell in the Steelers lap.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    A lot depends on the AB saga.
    He moves and looking at a weapon at TE becomes a priority.

One of our defensive needs (CB, ILB and OLB) MUST BE addressed in FA.

I disagree. If AB goes WR becomes a priority. No TE in college (or in the NFL for that matter) would replace what AB can do

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Let me ask the question, was the offense really the problem last season? The Steelers were #5 in the NFL in pts/gm. Every team in the top 10 were in the playoffs except for PIT and ATL. PIT was #16 in pts/gm allowed, and ATL was #25.

Why are we talking drafting offense in the first two rounds? Look at the defense. Haden is a year older, Burns is toasted. Burnett is likely not resigned, and Dupree may not return if he decides he doesn't want a pay cut. This team needs defensive help. I wouldn't look at offense unless an absolute gamechanger fell in the Steelers lap.

Agreed. AB leaving could change that but as of now. NO

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Even if AB leaves, the offense can redefine itself drafting Fant or Hockenson and signing one of Golden Tate or Terrelle Pryor (or both and then not need a TE!)
    Believe In Now

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sager View Post
    Even if AB leaves, the offense can redefine itself drafting Fant or Hockenson and signing one of Golden Tate or Terrelle Pryor (or both and then not need a TE!)

This team cannot afford to spend a 1st round pick on a TE in hopes of reworking an offense around a position that has never been a focal point in Ben Roethlisbergers career. Terrelle Pryor didn't even play in the NFL last year. While i'd like to bring him aboard he would be no better than a #3 WR. The team needs Defense early and often. We have a fine TE in McDonald.

Legend

User Info Menu

This guy wrote what is considered the seminal study for modern day NFL draft strategy:

In 2005, University of Pennsylvania professor Cade Massey and University of Chicago professor Richard Thaler (who would later be awarded the Nobel Prize) published a paper called “Overconfidence vs. Market Efficiency in the National Football League,” which argued that top draft picks are overrated and that trading back for more picks is almost always the right decision. The instant reaction to their findings was not positive, Massey told me: “I met an NFL owner at a cocktail thing, he was all with me, and as soon as I started talking about trading back, he couldn’t hear anything else. He thought I was a complete idiot.”

Baker Mayfield and Freddie Kitchens Have Revitalized the Browns Offense
    The idea of trading back has since become widely accepted. Bill Belichick is credited with popularizing the idea in the NFL, and the Browns have recently used it to help stockpile the assets needed to build one of the best young rosters in the league.