Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Doable Offseason

Backup

User Info Menu

A Doable Offseason

Lots of different ways to see the offseason, some doable, others not so much. As a Maine-born die-hard Steeler fan since I was 8 (in 1973, BTW), I know how conservative the team can be, so here's my "doable" take for the offseason.

Assumptions: A. Brown will be traded, and he becomes less valuable every day with his off the field antics. Based on his actions, I'm all for the trade. I would love to trade him for a viable man CB that I feel solid about as a player, and Patrick Peterson would be that guy. Short of him, we're likely looking at draft picks. I would not release AB, as he'll end up on the Pats or some other AFC team; if I had to I'd take a late round pick from a NFC team, preferably a losing one. I think there is only 1 team that would give a #1 for him--the Raiders, because they have 3 #1's and Gruden and Davis just aren't right. However, I don't think that will happen. The most likely partner in my mind is SF; I'll assume their #2 (36.) & #5 (TBD). L. Bell will be a FA (why on earth would we transition him). I've heard arguments to keep both players, I understand them, but I'm not buying them.

Other assumptions: We don't have to cut anyone to clear salary cap space, we're already under the projected cap by 15-19M, according to the final cap number. We have the luxury to keep guys until we find a suitable upgrade, something we never have in other seasons. Rookies will eat about 6.3M of that for us, but not really until after we've played in FA (some don't even sign until camp). To keep this post from being even longer and more boring, be assured I have done research and the math, so I won't go into every contract in detail.

So, those under contract that are on the cutting block (but won't be cut until we need the space and feel good about the replacement):
    M. Gilbert-OT (already feel good about his potential replacements on the team)
    M. Burnett-S (doesn't want to be here--could we get a #7 for him)
    J. Bostic-ILB (need to find a replacement, which shouldn't be too hard)
    M. McCrane-K (sorry, but we can easily find K's to compete with Boswell, and this guy can't get a touchback)

Those alone give us almost 11M.

Trade- AB, for the SF #2 and #5 (hopefully); trade the other AB, Artie Burnt, for a #7 if we find a team that had scouted him in college and is willing to take a chance on reclaiming a former #1. Now we've got our #5 back and a spare #7 (maybe a P...)

Signing our own, in order of preference: Hilton, Feiler, Finney, James, Foster, Rogers. Others that will probably garner little interest on the market that we may sign according to success in FA and the draft: Fort, Alualu, Sensabaugh, , Grimble. In general, I wouldn't overpay for any of these players, but most should end up being affordable. We will lose some and keep some. Prediction: James will be the hardest to keep.

Extensions to save $: Big Ben, Pouncey, Dupree & Haden. Ben and Pouncey go together, as they frequently express in the press. 4 years. Dupree & Haden-3 years. Dupree is serviceable, and we'll get his cap down from 9.2M this year. I would argue that his "looping" rush, though it drives me nuts, does lead to pocket passers getting roughed up or often sacked by our DL. He did improve this year, stats aside. Haden--yeh he's getting old but he is by far our best CB. His contract would make cutting him in the future a cap savings. We would have lost a few more games this year without him. These re-works will give us another 10-15M.

FA's--Our biggest splash(es) ever, as we have some $ for a change. We have need for an ILB, a CB and an OLB-ER. With Burnett out, I'd say we need a 3rd S, too, as we may lose S. Davis in a year (wouldn't extend him yet; would extend Hargrave). That said, how it plays out may sway things differently, especially if other teams release some attractive players. I'm going with who is available today in FA (it will change come the first half of March).

Top target is Jordan Hicks-ILB; we will fail in getting him, only other ILB I would consider is D. Perryman, but probably won't get him either. Draft has starter-ready ILB, so we'll try at that. No CBs in FA right now that I would throw much (i.e. more than $2.5M a year) at because none of them are really solid or proven. P. Desir may be the best of the bunch, but I think he is a huge risk. I want a man-first CB. Either a top ILB or a CB will be available at #20, with this draft. So, with that, here's who we get it FA...

John Brown-WR (3 years). Don't much like the WR's in FA, but JB can take the top off the D, and he'll makeit easier for JuJu and Washington can develop. Ben gets a burner to run those deep routes. 50 catches with 18+ a catch will be what we need from him.

HaHa Clinton-Dix-S (5 years): Take the best of what is there. He inarguably makes our passing D much better. I also think the cut-rate on safeties continues, much to our advantage. If S. Davis walks in a year, we're still okay at S.

Shaq Barrett-OLB (4 years): Good pass-rusher and not bad against the run, either. Stuck behind Miller and Chubb. Gives us 3 OLB to count on while Adeniyi develops. May displace Dupree...

So, now the draft, which is D heavy in talent this year. We still need an ILB and a CB, and we'll get one of each early:

1 D. Baker-CB; I'll take the one that's left of Williams-Murphy-Baker. All three are good, and it depends on taste. Our first #1 CB since Woodson that isn't a bust. If these 3 are gone, I'm looking at ILB.

2(from SF): M. Wilson-ILB; right now, everyone has him in the 25-45 range. I think he might slide up the board after the combine. We'll see. D. Bush or G. Pratt might fit, also.

2 E. Jenkins-C-G: Future starter at either position.

3 D. Mack-NT: Run-stuffer extraordinaire, with a little pass-rush, too. He will be a run-down guy, and Heyward, Tuitt, & Hargrave will split DE-DT reps on passing downs.

4 M. Weber-RB: Probably lots of quality RBs will be available in Round 4. Weber can be a backup as a bell-cow back, with Samuels as the 3rd down guy.

5 S. Hampton-S: Pushes Dangerfield or Allen off the team if they don't compete. Sleeper.

6 T. Fulghum-WR: Fights with PS guys to be our #6 WR after JuJu-JB-JW-Swits-Rogers.

6 D. Sample-TE: Replaces Grimble, or at least competes with him. After all, how demand for Grim will there be in FA, anyway...

7 B. Austin-CB: Pushes Allen, Sutton, PS guys.

7 M. Wishnowsky-P: That's why I got the extra 7th. Someone to compete with FA Berry, who I can't see drawing much interest,either.

Throw in UDFA: E. Bassey-CB; M. Marshall-RB; T. Cole-OT; R. Bee-DL; U.Amadi-S; K. Farmer-OLB; M.Dudek-WR; and E. Carpenter-K

With all that happening, we then try to re-sign Sensabaugh, as he is serviceable if the rookie CB isn't ready or gets hurt (he knows our system and we know him--the other FA CBs scare me) and Fort (Bostic is then cut). Alualu also stays as he'll be cheap and is a solid veteran BU.

So, that's what I feel is most realistic, what I'd most like to see. We've improved the D at CB,ILB, S, DL and OLB, and will be much better in coverage. More than that, it's doable, with the cap space we have this year and the space that trading AB gives us in '20 and '21 (about 18M per year).

Have at it...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would like to think we could get a 2nd round pick for AB, but at this point, I'm not sure anyone would give even a 3rd rounder for him. Especially if they're worried that more dirt is going to come out about him pushing around women. By the time we deal him, we might be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him. I don't think anyone is going to give us a Pat Peterson caliber player for him, unless they're just looking to dump salary -- even then, they could probably get a high draft pick for PP from someone else, so why bite on a deal for AB?

I like where you're going with your draft ideas.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-09-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Very thorough analysis. Enjoyed the read. The only thing I'd say is (although I'm not sold he's ever going to pan out) that Artie Burns needs 1 more year with us. He's got all of the athletic ability in the world, and perhaps another year of development (as well as a new DB coach) will help him turn the corner.

Other than that... and I know this wont be popular because of the infamous fumble through the end zone... but I think we need to try to retain Grimble. He's a big, athletic target who has proven to be a weapon as a pass catcher (despite limited targets) and a serviceable blocking TE. Im not giving him priority over signing J. James. Just saying we need to keep him around in case we lose James if nothing else. As much as I like McDonald, he has proven not to be durable, and we can't afford to be down to a 4th or 5th option at TE.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I pretty much agree with your thinking, but here are my quick thoughts.

AB, sad story for this legend, worst than harrison demise. He is good as gone, I think he sunk his value big time, but weirder things have happened. Teams who might gamble on him, Texans, GB, Oakland, Washington just hope we get a 2nd for him.

Keep Burns, I think he is done too, but he is cheap and maybe new coach gets him back balling, less of a project than a 7 rder.

Burnett, let that guy go. Maybe involve him for a trade for Ha-Ha rights. Adding Ha-Ha could be the missing key for our "base D" the big nickle. Interchange the 3 S, and confuse the O. By having playmaker back there, would make our CB and pass rush that much better, even cover up our ILB covering passes in middle of field.

Tyrell Williams from SD is also big time deep threat who can cover the top off.

Going into the draft , go the BPA regardless our weakness on D ( ILB, CB, 3rd S), and that might just be taking a TE! ( yeah I am convinced again we need a TE to make this O great )
    1) Hockennson please...
    2) SF/GB/Oakland- MLB- Wilson, Pratt, Conley, Bush
    2) our pick CB Mullen, Love, Amani, Amani Hooker
    3) double dip- DB or MLB
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I pretty much agree with your thinking, but here are my quick thoughts.

AB, sad story for this legend, worst than harrison demise. He is good as gone, I think he sunk his value big time, but weirder things have happened. Teams who might gamble on him, Texans, GB, Oakland, Washington just hope we get a 2nd for him.

Keep Burns, I think he is done too, but he is cheap and maybe new coach gets him back balling, less of a project than a 7 rder.

Burnett, let that guy go. Maybe involve him for a trade for Ha-Ha rights. Adding Ha-Ha could be the missing key for our "base D" the big nickle. Interchange the 3 S, and confuse the O. By having playmaker back there, would make our CB and pass rush that much better, even cover up our ILB covering passes in middle of field.

Tyrell Williams from SD is also big time deep threat who can cover the top off.

Going into the draft , go the BPA regardless our weakness on D ( ILB, CB, 3rd S), and that might just be taking a TE! ( yeah I am convinced again we need a TE to make this O great )
    1) Hockennson please...
    2) SF/GB/Oakland- MLB- Wilson, Pratt, Conley, Bush
    2) our pick CB Mullen, Love, Amani, Amani Hooker
    3) double dip- DB or MLB
    agreed with your thoughts on Burns. If we hung with Dupree for as long as we have... we can certainly justify giving Burns one more year. At least he's familiar with the system... and certainly less of a project than a 7th rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tyrell Williams is on my Steeler watch list. I'd love for us to get him.

As far as the draft is concerned, my eye is on Wilson. Seems like he can fill the bill for us.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't believe any team in rebuild mode will be trading for a 30 year old wideout with mental issues.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I don't believe any team in rebuild mode will be trading for a 30 year old wideout with mental issues.
    I agree...and it certainly shows how dumb he is (if he was wanting traded).

Right after the season we were talking about getting 1st round picks for him (yes some were suggesting multiple ie. Amari Cooper). After this latest round of stupidity we are now asking ourselves if we would get a 3rd-5th.

Even the "Keep AB" camp has seemed to die down considerably in recent days. It's a no win situation with Brown at this point. I just hope we can get something in return.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I agree...and it certainly shows how dumb he is (if he was wanting traded).

Right after the season we were talking about getting 1st round picks for him (yes some were suggesting multiple ie. Amari Cooper). After this latest round of stupidity we are now asking ourselves if we would get a 3rd-5th.

Even the "Keep AB" camp has seemed to die down considerably in recent days. It's a no win situation with Brown at this point. I just hope we can get something in return.
    That new rumoured SF trade, a 3rd round pick and WR Goodwin, is starting to sound really good right now.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    That new rumoured SF trade, a 3rd round pick and WR Goodwin, is starting to sound really good right now.
    I think I'd rather keep AB than make that trade...or at least hold onto him until the price goes up (or our cap penalty goes down next year).

I don't think Goodwin is good. He's been in the league for 6 years, no seasons over 1000 yards (although he did get 962 once). In his other 5 seasons, he hasn't cracked 435 yards.

I guess SFs 3rd rounder is almost a 2nd round pick.