Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

Legend

User Info Menu

Devin Bush

LB

College :Michigan

Hometown: Pembroke Pines, Fla.

Junior

5' 10"

225 lbs

Player Bio

Bush is the son of the former Florida State and NFL defensive back with the same name. His father also got a chance to coach his son as a defensive analyst under Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh. Bush was a four-star recruit and two-time All-Florida pick in his own right before signing with Harbaugh. He contributed as a reserve linebacker and on special teams as a freshman (12 tackles) and then stepped into the starting lineup in 2017. He compiled 102 tackles, 9.5 for loss, five sacks, and an interception as a sophomore, earning first-team All-Big Ten honors while also being named a finalist for the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker. The team captain followed up that season by being named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year in 2018 and an Associated Press second-team All-American. He led the Wolverines with 80 stops, 9.5 for loss, five sacks, and six pass breakups in 12 games. Bush did not play in the team's bowl game so he could prepare for the draft.

By Lance Zierlein
    NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison:
    Stephen Tulloch

Overview

Undersized three-down linebacker with the speed and cover talent to make an easy transition to WILL linebacker as a pro. There will be NFL defenses who pass on Bush due to his lack of size, but his ability to play fast and free as an outside linebacker should supersede those concerns. He will miss some tackles and get engulfed by blockers at other times, but his play strength and ability to run and cover are extremely valuable in today's game and should not be diminished due to a tape measurement.

Strengths

•Compact lower body with a filled-out frame
    •Trusts his eyes
    •Rarely gets trapped due to false steps
    •Good patience with feel for run-blocking development
    •Body control and balance through contact are very good
    •Uncorks on climbers and iso-blocks with sharp, leveraged hand strikes
    •Proactive with hands to balance against wash-down blocks
    •Strong legs drive through upright blockers
    •Has GPS to maneuver around traffic in flows to the football
    •Sideline-to-sideline runner
    •Has speed to carry third-down backs into flats and up the sideline
    •Posted 11 passes defensed over last two seasons
    •Disguises launch point as blitzer
    •Slippery rusher who can knife through gaps and dip around edges

Weaknesses

•Lands below size standards as inside linebacker
    •Average reaction time in early response
    •Slow to process and diagnose against misdirection
    •Big boys can swallow him on second level
    •Needs to mitigate size concerns with more downhill shots
    •Too many block challenges and not enough block slips
    •Will require better pursuit leverage and feel for angles
    •Runs himself out of tackle attempts by coming in too steep
    •Out of position when he starts guessing rather than responding
    •Misses out on tackles in space due to lack of length

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devin-bush?id=32462019-0002-5622-43a4-dd990f0d3cc0
    Trade 1.20, 2.52, & 2020 3rd for 1.8 or 1.9

1.8 or 1.9 ILB Devin White
    3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
    3.83 S Amani Hooker
    4.122 TE Dawson Knox
    5.141 CB Kris Boyd
    6.175 WR Keelan Doss
    6.192 G Beau Benzschawel
    6.207 RB Kerrith Whyte
    7.219 DE Armon Watts

or

1.20 CB Byron Murphy
    2.52 OLB D'Andre Walker
    3.66 S Darnell Savage
    3.83 WR Miles Boykin
    4.122 ILB David Long
    5.141 C/G Ross Pierschbacher
    6.175 TE Kahele Warring
    6.192 NT Daylon Mack
    6.207 RB Devine Ozigbo
    7.219 DE Albert Huggins

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Might be a decent pic if we had the classic Joel Steed, Hampton NT keeping blockers off him.
    Farrior played around that weight but he wasn't mauled by 300 OL like our LBs are today.
    ILB is a huge need but at #20 I'd be looking for the next CJ MOSLEY
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Might be a decent pic if we had the classic Joel Steed, Hampton NT keeping blockers off him.
    Farrior played around that weight but he wasn't mauled by 300 OL like our LBs are today.
    ILB is a huge need but at #20 I'd be looking for the next CJ MOSLEY
    That "next Mosley" is Mack Wilson. He is plug-n-play.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Some draft gurus say that Devin White from LSU could fall... if so he would be my pick... uber fast 4.45 40 @ 240lbs. YIKES!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Although landing a top notch LB or DB at #20 would be the best case scenario certainly, if the guys they love at these positions don't fall and they find themselves picking and choosing between borderline first round talents at these spots, they should not force it and go with a legit top-15 level talent at another position instead.

For instance, if Oklahoma G/T Cody Ford falls to #20, he could easily be the BPA on the board and could be considered to be the heir apparent for either Ramon Foster at LG or Marcus Gilbert at RT. Offensive guard prospects tend to fall in the draft as teams like to go with intriguing weapons at sexier positions with early first round picks (which is why David DeCastro fell into our laps once upon a time), but perhaps that will change after seeing the impact that Quenton Nelson had on the Colts as a rookie.
    Agreed. I said on an earlier thread that an OL could wind up being BPA at #20. They gotta just take BPA instead of reaching like they have a few times here recently. I'd like to see them fill the ILB hole via FA. How about Mosley from the Ravens?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll be the first to admit that I miss on draft picks from time to time (I was against the JuJu pick when it happened)...
    So I won't speak out against an OL pick if we can get another Decastro. At that point it will be up to the organization to address some of our defensive gaps through free agency. For some reason I am feeling like we are going to be picking a RB within the first 3 or so rounds also.
    Last edited by Ernie; 02-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.